Tiablo A9 problem, please advise

Mirko

Newly Enlightened
good morning experts

I bought a Tiablo A9 flashlight last June, I like it very much !

three weeks ago the tail switch died in the low power position (high is fine) there is a smell of burned electronics from the cap
So far it was used I guess 2 hours (2 sets of batteries used)

I tried to write to them but in 2 weeks got no reponse, also the web site does not seem to work ....

Is there any place I can buy another tailcap switch ?

Many thanks
best regards
Mirko

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a simple solution to this. This is for a single level switch, high only.

This switch fits in the switch module.
[URL]http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5632[/URL]

Just disassemble the switch module and take out the old switch pcb, then drop in a 2 mm thick piece of plastic cut to fit in the modules bottom, including a cut hole in the moddle for the clicky. This can be made with o-rings if you have them. Then turn the rubber boot inside out and cut off half the lenght of the plunger rod inside the boot. Then just push one of the new switches down into the module and reassemble the clicky module as it were.

The new switch will be able to take the current, it's typed for 1.5A and can take a lot more. The original switch is spec'ed to a max. current of 500 mA which is way to low in a Tiablo A9.

This is what has burned in your switch, the little resistor that gives you the low level. If you have access to small resistors you can replace it, original value is 10 Ohm.

dsfgdfhg.jpg

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you buy your light from? They may sell parts and accessories. You can try Battery Junction. They sell a replacement tactical switch for the A9.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tacticalswitch-a8.html

Lighthound sells one also

http://www.lighthound.com/Tiablo-A8-A9-Forward-Switch-HA-III-Black-Finish--ON-SALE_p_109-2158.html

I do not think either switch will give you your two levels back however. You can contact either company and see if they happpen to have the original. Maybe somebody else will chime in here and know more info. Good luck!

Mike

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stefan, that's a surface mount resistor, correct?

Yes, in that particular Tiablo I swapped the stock 10 Ohm for the 0.5 Ohm one seen in the pic, to get a 'higher' low.

It's possible to use some smaller axial lead resistors that fit in the module, 0.25W or 0.5W so it doesn't burn.

Mirko

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all !!!

I will order a new cap , as it arrives I will "play" with the dead one...

thanks again experts

Mirko

Mirko

Newly Enlightened
Pardon the newbye question :

if I do remove the burned resistor and replace it with a simple wire do i get another full on position ?
Any drawback (overheating)?

thanks
Mirko

lightforce2

Enlightened
if I do remove the burned resistor and replace it with a simple wire do i get another full on position ?
Any drawback (overheating)?

Yes, that will work, you should get full power assuming that there is no "resistance" in the wire, after all thats all a resistor does.

You could test the piece of wire with a multi meter to determine if there's any resistance, if there was a lot of resistance in the wire then it may heat up, but I really doubt that would be the case.

if you do bridge out the old resistor be careful that the wire doesnt touch the aluminium housing as it will turn the light on

cheers

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a similar problem, about a week of having the A9, the low position on my switch died. I emailed Tiablo and they didn't offer any useful advice.

I ordered a forward switch from lighthound and it didn't fit on the body of my A9. I had to take apart both switches to put the forward switch assembly inside the tailcap that came with my A9.

It works very good now with a tailstandable forward switch. :)