Nitecore Extreme Switch Issue

firephoenix

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Long time lurker here. I recently purchased a Nitecore pd10 and Nitecore Extreme from 4sevens and have found a problem with my Extreme Tailswitch.

Had it about 2 days when the clicky mechanism started sticking quite a bit. Now, it's almost impossible to turn the light off.

I have requested a credit so I can exchange this Nitecore Extreme for a completely different light. I know they could probably fix it, but 2 days with a bad clicky is really not acceptable for a tactical light.

Thinking that I had a "bad" one, I went ahead and did a search and there are a few threads covering the same issue.

Messagehttps://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/189297&highlight=nitecore

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195229&highlight=nitecore

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/205206&highlight=nitecore

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/205424&highlight=nitecore

Am I being really picky, or am I justified in asking for a credit for a different light? :confused:

BTW - the pd10 with the piston drive is pretty awesome. I can't see this kind of switching mechanism ever failing. In fact, one of the lights I want to exchange the Extreme for is the EX10.

firephoenix

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I guess I need to clarify. I think there might be a problem with the switch mechanism design itself, so I'm reluctant to just fix it.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see. I have both the Extreme and the EX10 and would like to remind you that the latter's output is much lower so don't be disappointed when you get it.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah man take it to the top, get them to sort the clickies or your money back, cant go much wrong with the EX10 either

Marduke

Flashaholic
Sorry, I guess I need to clarify. I think there might be a problem with the switch mechanism design itself, so I'm reluctant to just fix it.

Fix what? Just swap out the switch with one of the two replacements and see if it was just a bad switch. It happens to all brand, even SureFire.

firephoenix

Newly Enlightened
I see. I have both the Extreme and the EX10 and would like to remind you that the latter's output is much lower so don't be disappointed when you get it.

Yeah, I understand that.. but I'd rather have IMHO a more reliable lower output light.

firephoenix

Newly Enlightened
Fix what? Just swap out the switch with one of the two replacements and see if it was just a bad switch. It happens to all brand, even SureFire.

Marduke - please see my first post. I have referenced and provided sources where others have encountered the same issue. This is a fairly new light, and doesn't seem to be an isolated incident.

If there weren't others experiencing the same thing, then I'd happily give it another go with just replacing the switch. I don't really want to take any chances if I don't have to.

I'm using this as a tactical flashlight and am a little dismayed that it has already defected with little use.

EDGETAC

Newly Enlightened
Hi firephoenix and all,

Sorry for the issue about the switches.

For your information, we will provide all our distributors / dealers with new and more reliable spare forward clickie switches soon, they are for free warranty service, we are arranging this for the moment.

Also, all the current NiteCore D-I and Extreme use this new and more reliable forward clickie switches now, we also strengthen the waterproof capability of Extreme. We will provide related accessories to distributor/dealer later, thanks!

Customers who have own the previous NiteCore D-I and Extreme, please contact local distributor/dealer for the details, thanks!

and please be advised that the old version switches have yellow button, while the new switches have black button, and we attach one in the spare parts, you can tell by yourselves. :)

Please let us know if any questions, thank you!

Best Regards,
NiteCore

Last edited:

Anto

Enlightened
What exactly is improved as far as waterproofness goes? I just received a Nitecore Extreme from 4sevens, and it's apparently the older stock. Are there extra grooves machined in the body, or is it just an extra o-ring?

Hi firephoenix and all,

Sorry for the issue about the switches.

For your information, we will provide all our distributors / dealers with new and more reliable spare forward clickie switches soon, they are for free warranty service, we are arranging this for the moment.

Also, all the current NiteCore D-I and Extreme use this new and more reliable forward clickie switches now, we also strengthen the waterproof capability of Extreme. We will provide related accessories to distributor/dealer later, thanks!

Customers who have own the previous NiteCore D-I and Extreme, please contact local distributor/dealer for the details, thanks!

and please be advised that the old version switches have yellow button, while the new switches have black button, and we attach one in the spare parts, you can tell by yourselves. :)

Please let us know if any questions, thank you!

Best Regards,
NiteCore

adsl_keeki

Newly Enlightened
Crap, I just ordered an extreme from 4sevens for a friend and it still hasn't deliver. Now you are telling me the old stock does not waterproof? What about the IPX-8 ranking in the product spec? I don't expect this kind of problem from happening on a $100 on a light! Well, I suppose 4sevens can take it back for an exchange of Fenix P2D or some sort.

You should remove the IPX-8 in the product page to stop misleading people. This is my first time and maybe the last time referring any Nitcore to any of my friends. First the dead switches in my NDI, badly machined thread, and now the extreme won't waterproof...:poof: