warranty matter, TK-10

perungestal

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

Got my light yesterday and today was the first "real" tryout when I went for a run in the dark.

I turned the head for normal mode/low mode wich went well, but when I accedently pressed the "head" the light went out but went back when I released the pressure on the head.

I tried to spin it several laps but 80% of the time it either started to flicker or it went black. When I was close to turbomode (wich works fine, mainly because the head is tighten in that mode) but still had the normal mode on it either went to turbomode, started to flicker or went black until I released pressure on the head.

Is this a common problem or is it a warranty matter? The light works fine as long as I don't press the head in either direction (while still keeping the rest of the lamp steady).

It's probably a bad contact between the head and the body, or the construction itself.

NOTE; At some point the light doesn't flicker, goes into turbomode or blacks out, but imo it shoudn't be like this.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix proudly states that the turning of the bezel for switching the mode is patented, but personally I don't find this a good invention.

I just like my screws tightened, I don't like loose things. My Mags have the reflector put in in a position where I normally use the light when the head is tight.

I would say that your light is a warranty case, the patented system doesn't work as it should.

Henk

alphazeta

Enlightened
No, that isn't normal with the TK10.
I'll start out with a basic question. Did you try cleaning the threads on the head & body? It sounds like the electrical contact between the head & body is being broken. If you don't have deoxit, rubbing alcohol works too.
Also, is there any "play" (looseness) to the head when it's in normal mode?

First step is to try the thread cleaning.
-AZ

perungestal

Newly Enlightened
Fenix proudly states that the turning of the bezel for switching the mode is patented, but personally I don't find this a good invention.

I just like my screws tightened, I don't like loose things. My Mags have the reflector put in in a position where I normally use the light when the head is tight.

I would say that your light is a warranty case, the patented system doesn't work as it should.

Henk
My opinion too:thumbsup:

No, that isn't normal with the TK10.
I'll start out with a basic question. Did you try cleaning the threads on the head & body? It sounds like the electrical contact between the head & body is being broken. If you don't have deoxit, rubbing alcohol works too.
Also, is there any "play" (looseness) to the head when it's in normal mode?

First step is to try the thread cleaning.
-AZ
I can try to clean the threads!
Yes, the head can wiggle/play/looseness some when I put some pressure (not much) on the head in normal mode (especially down).

alphazeta

Enlightened
My opinion too:thumbsup:

I can try to clean the threads!
Yes, the head can wiggle/play/looseness some when I put some pressure (not much) on the head in normal mode (especially down).

Loose is not good. Even if normal works after the cleaning, I would consider getting an exchange. With the hefty front o-ring, there should be no play. Sounds like poor machining of the threads on your TK10.

perungestal

Newly Enlightened
Loose is not good. Even if normal works after the cleaning, I would consider getting an exchange. With the hefty front o-ring, there should be no play. Sounds like poor machining of the threads on your TK10.
I will email the company I bought the light from.
Need an exchange quickly though, got militaryduty in 2 1/2 week:duh2:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same problem on p3d, seems as time go on the thread wears down and create contact problems, a light press will break the contact and send the light into low, a frenzy, or just black out. Unfortunately the company I bought mine from isn't responding to my inquiries, so it now lives in my glove box.

Now I stay away from lights with this design.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would that be FT?

Can you not deal directly with Fenix, or has too much time gone by?
Yes it is, that was several months ago, so now the 1 year warrenty has passed. I'm pretty sure fenix doesn't deal with customers directly but through the dealers. But it still works so I'm not too fussy about it. I think it's just a design flaw that'll happen again even if I got a replacement.

I should mention this is p3d-ce from over a year ago from when cree was first released, and it had thread play since the moment I had it, which got worse as time go on. The T1 I bought earlier this year feels solid so maybe they fixed the problem. :shrug:

Last edited: