Help me choose: Surefire X300 or Stremlight TLR-1 or Insight Procyon XTI

niceguymr

Newly Enlightened
Surefire X300 or Stremlight TLR-1 or Insight Procyon XTI

I'm stuck deciding which to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the manufacturer stats on each:

Surefire X300
Lumens: 110
Runtime: 2.4 hours
Dimensions: 1.39" high by 1.43" wide by 3.53" long
Weight: 3.7 ounces (with batteries)
Waterproof to 22 meters
Optional pressure switch
Around $200

Streamlight TLR-1
Light: 3 Watt Luxeon Super Hi Flux LED w/20,000 hour lifetime
Lumens: Up to 80
Runtime: Up to 2.5 hours
DIMENSIONS: Length: 3.26 in. (8.28 cm) Width: 1.47 in. (3.73 cm) Height: 1.44 in. (3.65 cm)
WEIGHT: 4.18 oz (118.6 grams) with batteries
Waterproof to 1 meter for one hour
Around $100​

Insight Procyon XTI
Lumens: 125+
Runtime: 90 minutes
Dimensions: 3.2" x 1.6" x 1.5"
Weight: 4.0 oz. w/Batteries
Strobe mode
Waterproof to 5 meters
Around $125

I recently had a chance to handle all 3 of these in a store. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do actual light output comparisons which is why I'm posting here. I can comment however on the feel/construction of them. All were made of aluminum. In terms of overall fit/finish/construction, Surefire seemed the best, followed by the Streamlight and then the Insight. This is by no means a scientific or measurable observation, just something you can tell when handling them all side by side. Although I like the features of the Insight the most, I felt that I could snap the switch right off with enough force. I didn't feel that way with the Surefire or the Streamlight.

Anyway, sorry for the uninformative review. I'm really just hoping to get some input from anyone who's gotten to compare all these together in the dark.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Streamlight uses a last gen LED which is half as efficient as the current gen LED that the X300 and maybe the Insight Procyon XTI uses, I'm not sure how much that factors into your decision though.

I can't help much more because I don't own a gun and haven't handled a weapon light yet.

:welcome:

Kato

Enlightened
I prefer the X300 with an SL or DG pressure switch. In my opinion, the pressure switch is a must-have.

I've seen too many people use their trigger fingers to activate the toggle switch on their weaponlights. To me, that's a horrible practice. If your trigger finger is holding the weaponlight on momentary on and you decide to pull the trigger, your light goes out just before you were going to shoot. If you toggle the switch to constant-on, you become a walking lighthouse in a high-stress situation.

Alternatively, some folks use a finger or thumb from their support hand to activate the toggle. That's better than using the trigger finger, but now your free hand and arm are out of the picture. Its much more difficult to pull your child behind you while covering the hallway. Its much more difficult to open a door in the cover of darkness and quickly flash your light into the threat area.

With a pressure switch, you can light up a threat, fire rounds, black out and move, and light him up again from a different position, much easier than you can with a toggle switch.

In any event, stay safe and happy shopping! :grin2:

Anto

Enlightened
You can mod the LED in the TLR-1 to a Seoul U2 bin, so lumens wise, the TLR-1 is the best bang for the buck.

toasterlocker

Newly Enlightened
If money is no object, the Surefire is probably the best. It is definitely brighter than the TLR, but I wouldn't say it is $100 brighter, if you know what I mean. Looking online the Surefire will cost close to if not more than $200, while you can find the TLR for less than $90.

I can't speak for the Insight, but the Surefire does have a significantly better runtime, which is important with a weaponlight.

Shawn L

Newly Enlightened
The X300 is awesome. I can light up a whole room in my house at night, and it is very bright. Oh yea lifetime warranty.

Xak

Enlightened
The Insight has a strange beam pattern, but it's very bright and you don't notice it unless you're white wall hunting. I would say it is equal in brightness to my Inova T4MP.

The strobe is very intimidating and could be useful for a LEO in some situations. It's waterfroof and built like a tank.

The Surefire is overpriced (as usual) and people have had problems with them.

Kato

Enlightened
I've been using a Surefire weaponlight on my duty gun for most of my eighteen year LEO career, and the only problem I've encountered was a broken wire in an SL switch on a Nitrolon-series light. Surefire promptly replaced the unit for me.

I've had no problems whatsoever with any of the X-series lights I've used.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own and use a Surefire X-300 in the field. It has gone "swimming" in the Pacific with me and been rinsed off in a sink. Shot about 200 rounds of .40 caliber with it mounted to the handgun. No problems, nice, bright beam.

I've seen the TLR series in the store. Older, dimmer LEDs, but probably good enough for most people.

No idea about the third.

Reliability is by far the most important concern. Surefire weaponlights have a good reputation and are used by pretty much everybody who uses a weaponlight for real.

gilly

Enlightened
Have been carrying the TLR for about two years. Bright enough, tough (banged on many a door frame in SWAT training) and works. I love surefire stuff, but for the price the Streamlight makes sense.