Runner needs flashlight advice

Dave_5280

Newly Enlightened
Looking for advice on a good quality flashlight to use for running on level gravel trails in the dark, in winter (freezing temps and snow), at 6,000 ft. altitude, for up to 90 minutes each day.

Prefer using some type of rechargeable batteries and want to use in a headband style holder.

Not sure how bright it should be and have some concern about excessive heat buildup and noise since it will be next to my head in the holder and at times under a hat. Thinking it should cover about 1 to 20 feet ahead of me and a width of at least 4 feet, and also to see a GPS watch to read pace information.

Thanks!

Wyeast

Enlightened
I would recommend not messing with a flashlight in a headband holder. They are generally meant for sitting still and light walking. The motions of running will bounce the light around and/or cause it to fall out.

A dedicated headlamp like a MyoXP should suit your purposes just fine. Pick one w/ a separate battery pack, as you can keep it tucked under your hat (keeps it warm) and it also balance the weight a bit more. All-in-one headlamps tend to be a bit nose-heavy and can also bounce around a little when running.

Hope that helps!

scottaw

Enlightened
I've run a night-time 5K and used my PT apex pro on the high flood beam, and carried a 120P in my hand, plenty of light, but it was an offroad race with tons of obstacles.