Looks like I will need my flashlights!!!!!!!!!!!

LVE2RIDE

Newly Enlightened
According to the storm tracker Gustav will be paying me a visit. Katrina got me obsessed with preparedness. I am MUCH better prepared than I was for katrina. Only lights I had after katrina was a cheap minimag clone with half dead batts and 2 plastic cheapies with the batts that came with them. It was a dim,dismal ten days with no power. Would have been worse but through dumb luck I had a kerosene lantern full of kero burned for 10 nights straight.

Despite what my wife says...I dont enjoy disasters...just like to be prepared:grin2:

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Thankfully I was never in that type of situation(except 9/11, but I was not directly affected). I wish you the best of luck. One thing though, you can be prepared to the teeth but there is no match for mother nature.

LVE2RIDE

Newly Enlightened
I am in Jackson...not the coast thank god..I am 140 miles inland we get lots of nasty stuff..wind damage..trees in houses,power lines down that kind of thing..but the coast folks get the brunt of it. Definitely keep the coastal residents in prayer..they have just about got things back to normal and now looks like they are gonna get pounded again:(

cl0123

Enlightened
...just like to be prepared:grin2:

Sorry to hear about the hurricane but good thing you're prepared. Being prepared means you have more options than those who choose not to. Will keep you folks in the prayers and let's hope for the best.

With Aloha, and lots of prayers,

Clarence

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
According to the storm tracker Gustav will be paying me a visit. Katrina got me obsessed with preparedness. I am MUCH better prepared than I was for katrina. Only lights I had after katrina was a cheap minimag clone with half dead batts and 2 plastic cheapies with the batts that came with them. It was a dim,dismal ten days with no power. Would have been worse but through dumb luck I had a kerosene lantern full of kero burned for 10 nights straight.

Despite what my wife says...I dont enjoy disasters...just like to be prepared:grin2:
I wish you the best of luck. I am still remembering 2005 when several Hurricanes ripped our State up again. Yes the majority of spahgetti map models are pointing all your way as of 11 PM advisory on 8/28. Not good.
http://www.media.myfoxtampabay.com/myfoxhurricane/

Last edited:

DimmerD

Enlightened
I am in Jackson...not the coast thank god..I am 140 miles inland we get lots of nasty stuff..wind damage..trees in houses,power lines down that kind of thing..but the coast folks get the brunt of it. Definitely keep the coastal residents in prayer..they have just about got things back to normal and now looks like they are gonna get pounded again:(

Hey your aren't far from me, I am Slaughter! Everything is stocked and I mean EVERYTHING. Plenty of flashlights and batteries, gas, food, water, did I mention flashlights? :D Weather radios, generators and battery backups. As long as the roof doesn't come off we'll be fine. May have family come up from New Orleans and stay here, no possibilty of flooding here. Stay safe.

The Sun

Enlightened

im in southeast texas, and local government officials are already coming on the news declaring this a disaster area...thats hopefull. i'm right on the TX/LA border on the coast. lets hope for the best. i got the B.O.B. ready to go, and the wife and kids are already outta town. i think i have enough flashlights for the whole county. :whistle: this will be the first real storm i have been through, i've only lived here about eight months. i think i've got everything covered though. yesterday my millitary survival mode kicked in and my wife wasn't around to real me in, so i've probably overdone it with the socks!!!:ohgeez:i've probably got enough spares to walk from here to vermont :shakehead:laughing: anyway, everyone take care and be safe

DaveG

Enlightened
Keep us informed how you guys make out with this,hope all come out of it safe and sound.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Would have been worse but through dumb luck I had a kerosene lantern full of kero burned for 10 nights straight.

Stay Safe.............sometimes being a hero is *knowing* when to leave to keep the family safe.

It's amazing how that low tech kerosene lantern can be a lifesaver, with all the lights I have a consider it a MUST have to the tune of 2 lamps, extra wicks and a half gallon of fuel.

Bill

jcs71

Newly Enlightened
I will be praying and thinking of you people down on the coast. If you can, as mentioned get out now. The last thing any of us here wants to hear on the news is reports of dead people holding flashlights in both their hands with grins on their faces. Take care.

chewy78

Enlightened
The last thing any of us here wants to hear on the news is reports of dead people holding flashlights in both their hands with grins on their faces. Take care.

that would be scary

The Sun

Enlightened
I will be praying and thinking of you people down on the coast. If you can, as mentioned get out now. The last thing any of us here wants to hear on the news is reports of dead people holding flashlights in both their hands with grins on their faces. Take care.

:crackup::crackup::crackup: i'll try not to be that guy!!! :crackup::crackup::crackup:

BTW if anyone didn't already know this is an awesome storm site: http://www.stormpulse.com/hurricane-gustav-2008

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
im in southeast texas, and local government officials are already coming on the news declaring this a disaster area...thats hopefull. i'm right on the TX/LA border on the coast. lets hope for the best.

Heh, that's what well prepared officials do, this way if there's any need for federal disaster aid the paperwork is all well and done by the time it gets there. If there's no need for it, well then no biggie :) Good luck up there in Louisiana, this one looks like it's gonna be nasty wherever it makes landfall.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you don't need your lights for this ocassion. Good luck, and remember your feble lights are no match against the power of the nature force.

The Sun

Enlightened
I hope you don't need your lights for this ocassion. Good luck, and remember your feble lights are no match against the power of the nature force.

i hope i don't need my lights either. but, i'm a first responder and will be working closely with emergency management so i'm sure they will be used, and then used some more, then loaned to someone else to use after that. i just hope i get them all back. i wish i had my camera so i could show you all my B.O.B. it's so freakin rediculous its funny, i'm such a DORK!!! we just gotta make the best of it ya know.:thumbsup: safety first!!! i once went throught a hurricane out in the atlantic while launching F/18 hornets off of the filight-deck of the U.S.S. Harry S. Truman aircraft carrier. its really something to be 90ft. off of the water and look up at the waves that are gonna hit you:ohgeez:. GOOD TIMES...not:thumbsdow. the skipper's great explaination for steering us straight into one side of a hurricane, throught the eye, then straight out the other side was; "the jets needed a good fresh water rinse." how bout that!!! i can't lie though i loved every minute of it (realized this afer it was over:grin2:). they are evac'ing all the people who registered with Texas 211 and don't have transportation out of my area as of 1200 today. they say they will be calling away a mandatory evac. between now, and no later than 0600 Sunday (the 31st). the website i posted earlier is GREAT and i'm monitoring it pretty closely. its up in the air, but i think based on the spagehtti models, southeast texas is gonna get it pretty bad. they are saying that it is gonna turn westerly right at landfall. so, lake charles, beaumont, port arthur, etc. might get another rita. everybody be safe, and if you don't gotta be there, then don't!!!