4D-cell Maglight options?

cykoed

Newly Enlightened
I have an old 4xD-cell Maglight.

What options are there to convert to an LED, and the brightest one possible!

Thx!

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two brightest, easily available dropin modules are the 4-6 D malkoff triple (3x Q5 emitters) and the Electrolumens P7 dropin. Both should easily push around 700+ lumens in a 4 D cell mag.

** just checked elektrolumens website, can't seem to find any standalone P7 modules, but they do still have the P7/3d mag combo still.

They're pricy but at least with the malkoff you're guaranteed one of the best built aftermarket modules there is. I can't speak for the EL module as I don't own any of Waynes products. The one "drawback" is that while they can run on alkaline batteries they don't run as well as they will on a big rechargable NIMH D cell, alkalines just can't provide the necessary current.

cykoed

Newly Enlightened
gunner12, i'm looking for a drop-in as i havent a clue on how get a mod done and will probably mess it up!

maduke & yoda...thanks for the advice! lemme go check them out!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The LED drop-in that I use in my Mag is the TerraLUX TLE-300; ~600 lumens at the emitter for $70:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-300.html

It's essentially just three LEDs, each with its own optic, all in a self-contained drop-in puck with all the necessary circuitry. It's a minimal difficulty install, you remove the stock Mag reflector and bulb, put the TLE-300 in the socket, done.

Optic lenses mean *serious throw* and the TLE-300 doesn't disappoint, projecting a big fat hotspot with no corona or spill to speak of. You lose the Mag's focusing ability, but when you've got a glaring hotspot that's over two feet across from only ten feet away, you don't need it. The only con is that the hotspot looks a bit like a round, multi-pointed star (the optics to some degree project the square shape of the LEDs) but in normal use, especially outdoors, you don't notice it.

I mainly use my TLE-300 Mag on night walks down our suburb street to the area mailbox. Any time a car drives by going the same direction, it's a perfect side-by-side comparison of light output, and you can't miss it - the Mag is putting out just as much light as the car (the cars don't miss it either, as they usually slow down). It's still impressive every time I see it.

The TLE-300 is my fave Mag drop-in based on its ease of install, use of standard batteries, and good old "damn that's bright"-ness. I've always liked the idea of an LED hotwire/ROP that doesn't require any modding, and this certainly fills the bill.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
terralux drop in is the most practical
for $25 bucks you triple the brightness AND increase the runtime with flat regulation.
runs for 15 hours compared to these super bright 3 hour mags.
then again if you have rechargeables, whats the difference?

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
no beamshots but i've had both so here is how they compare

stock mag 4d: 50 initial lumens or so out the front with tons of artifacts and yellow beam. beam slowly gets dimmer over its 10 hour battery cycle.

terralux: 110 lumens out the front. most beautiful white color you've ever seen. regulated to stay at 110 lumens for 15 hours (i believe). alkalines are not a problem but of course any cpfer worth his salt would use ni-mh anyways.

terralux tle300m: 300-350 lumens out the front. 3 ugly squares of beams, imo. you will want to stipple the lens real good. it runs for about 3 hours. about as efficent as the seoul in the terralux single led, but battery efficency drains at these high power levels, so alkalines are not recomended. eneloops are great but any ni-mh should be fine. color is yellow for a led, like the rebel 100, but my initial impressions of rebel 100 were positive. this drop in was not my cup of tea.

if you want real power wayne at elektrolumens has a couple of 3 led drop ins. $100 drop in there will get you 400 lumens out the front for 3 hours and pretty white beam. i ordered waynes drop in and the tle300m at the same time. the tle300m went on the forums for sale the next day.