Hurricane Gustav

turbodog

Flashaholic
I know there are CPF members in Gustav's path (I am one of them). This thread is for notes, suggestions, and "are you still alive" type posts.

So....

There's generator fuel for about a week. The cupboards are stocked. The chainsaw's got 2 spare chains. I've got tarps for the roof (hope I do _not_ need them!).

Now we wait. Where will it strike and with what force?

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's going to be a cat 3 because it's going to be in open water before it hits (in the Gulf)

I am praying it is not a cat 3 and I am praying for everyone in it's path.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Cat3 is what is currently predicted. NOLA is in for it again it appears.

Notice that lights are nowhere on my list?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey turbodog-

I'm set...and waiting. Checking the cone and the 'spaghetti chart' every few hours. Tomorrow will hopefully make things seem clearer.

The hype here in N.O. is unreal -- surreal. I've never seen anything like it.

I did hear a cool tip the other day -- if you have to evac have your home phone traffic forwarded to your cell.

Good luck everyone!

turbodog

Flashaholic
Hey turbodog-

I'm set...and waiting. Checking the cone and the 'spaghetti chart' every few hours. Tomorrow will hopefully make things seem clearer.

The hype here in N.O. is unreal -- surreal. I've never seen anything like it.

I did hear a cool tip the other day -- if you have to evac have your home phone traffic forwarded to your cell.

Good luck everyone!

Decent info. I use call forwarding every day. It will reset/unforward if the local "co" loses power though I think.

Illum

Flashaholic
I'd recommend putting every legal valuable [papers, notes, certificates] in water resistant boxes and store them on the car, should your roof go during a storm it'll add some protection.

If your in New Orleans I'd haul *** right now, the absolute worst place to be while being confronted by a storm is to be lower than a river because water will most likely rise a couple inches to a couple feet during entry.

Floyd almost caught us in 99, the storm came near us while a high tide was in effect, and all the drainage canals were suddenly higher than the retention ponds:candle:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gustav continues to deepen. NOAA 43 recently confirmed a pressure of 945 mb. The CDO is well developed and banding features look great in most quadrants. Gustav is moving over waters near 29C. This may get the system to category 5 before reaching western Cuba. The NOAA high altitude jet will be surveying the area ahead of Gustav. A high pressure ridge building over the plain states may try to steer Gustav to the west towards Texas. It is too early to be certain yet.
The NHC has alot more tools for forecasting then when I was a young intern there in the 80s. I still vividly remember visiting the Dominican Republic as a high school kid in the late 70s. We took a direct hit from David. 2300 people were killed. I remember people coming around with carts to pick up the dead. It was a scene right out of the middle ages. I pray no one has to go through that kind of ordeal again.

Sub is one of the best prepared people on this forum. I hope he and others in the path remain safe. It is important to disregard HYPE about these systems. The real situation is bad enough without rumors and false truths. Stay with the facts.

Again my thoughts and prayers to everyone in the affected area.

Frank
fieldops

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I know there are CPF members in Gustav's path (I am one of them). This thread is for notes, suggestions, and "are you still alive" type posts.

So....

There's generator fuel for about a week. The cupboards are stocked. The chainsaw's got 2 spare chains. I've got tarps for the roof (hope I do _not_ need them!).

Now we wait. Where will it strike and with what force?

I heard on the news today that it might become a category 5 before making landfall. I have found Weather.com to be a fairly good site, although their projected paths can be off. I sure hope it doesn't badly affect you or any other CPF members. Stay safe.

Originally Posted by Illum_the_nation
If your in New Orleans I'd haul *** right now, the absolute worst place to be while being confronted by a storm is to be lower than a river because water will most likely rise a couple inches to a couple feet during entry.

+1

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, this Nasa pic of the storm is very impressive! Almost the size of the gulf

gustavhannaaug28sf6.jpg

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED-holic - suggest you edit your post - there are clearly more important things at stake than your liking of crawfish.:shakehead

Good luck all in or near the path, please stay safe.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
My best wishes to anyone who gets caught in the path of Gustav.

I'll toss my favorite weather site into the mix. weather underground
I personally find their wundermap to be great for tracking current conditions in my neck of the woods or for getting a feel of the weather for when I'm headed out on a trip.

And looking at things, hopefully Hannah doesn't decide to follow Gustav's example.

turbodog

Flashaholic
LED-holic - suggest you edit your post - there are clearly more important things at stake than your liking of crawfish.:shakehead

Good luck all in or near the path, please stay safe.

He has a valid point. If the crawfish population is decimated that means crawfish farmers won't have cash flow. They won't be able to make boat/equipment payment nor mortgage payments.