Good narrower beam?

mostel

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I'm new to this place--I bought my first good light--a Surefire 6PL. But as good as it is, I find the beam VERY wide and really it seems designed for long big wide illumination--or far away beaming.

I didn't know it, but I think I'm a narrow(er) beam guy.

What are your favorite lights with beams that are more focused?
I'm also looking for a light that has several settings--at least 3-- low, med, high.

Thanks.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well for starters, the E1L, E2L and E1B from Surefire, all with 2 modes and a narrow TIR optic beam.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How narrow of a beam and what do you need it for?

The Dereelight DBS is one of the best throwing LED lights out right now.

A drop-in might also work.

:welcome:

mostel

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys!

I was thinking about a drop-in (I'm guessing that means changing the head?) That list is overwhelming for a newbie-- can you recommend a modification to narrow my L1 beam?)

I'm using this light to walk my dog every night (I know, nothing serious) and I feel like I'm lighting up a huge bubble of the sidewalk when we walk--I'm looking for a cool light (mag's suck, IMHO) to walk the dog, but also go camping--use in an emergency--and just all around enjoy as with a collector's eye for quality and coolness)

For instance, I ordered a Ra Clicky 100 narrower beam, just cuz I think it's so damn cool.

I also ordered a Nitecore D10 GD, for same reasons.

These two or both may do the trick--but hey--I'm diving in here.

And thanks all for the other recommendations!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: Thanks guys!

A drop-in for the 6P9and similar lights) is just a simple changing of the lamp module/assembly.

Which version of the Surefire L1 do you have?

mostel

Newly Enlightened
I have a 6PL.

It is just the way it came out of the box right now.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: I have a 6PL.

It is just the way it came out of the box right now.

The 6PL right?

The 6PL is the same as the 6P except with the P60L module instead of the P60 incan module.

Edit:Oh, I see, you mean the L1.

If you bought it recently, then you have the current Cree version with the optic. The same optic as the one in the current E1L, E2L, E2DL, and the E1B.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Re: I have a 6PL.

I think the answer to your desires lies in a multi-mode DereeLight drop-in module with smooth reflector.

Make sure to pick out one that will work for the batteries you intend to run in it :)

If you are planning on sticking with CR123s, check out the 3SM module on this page:
http://www.dereelight.com/module-list.htm

Eric

mostel

Newly Enlightened
Wow-thanks! But...

there's several of the one you specified--to choose from. Which one? And... how do you do the change? And... is the quality equal to the SF?

All new to me, thanks so much.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: Wow-thanks! But...

Do you know how to take out and put in the P60/P61/P60L module for the 6P/6PL? If yes then installing a LED drop-in would be the same as swapping in a new lamp assembly.

I don't have a Surefire so I don't know exactly how it works but it seem like you unscrew the bezel and the module should be there and easy to remove. Just remember to install the batteries with + facing towards the bezel ;)

Do you want more throw or just a narrower beam?

If you want more throw then that shouldn't be much of a problem since the other drop-ins drive the LED at a higher current(and I think they also have a deeper reflector) then the P60L. Both help with throw.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Re: Wow-thanks! But...

oh... sorry...

Let me elaborate a bit:

the "Q5" modules will have a color temperature similar to your 6PL.

The "5A Q2" modules are slightly less efficient (less lumen per watt, and therefor, less total lumens in this case) but will have a warmer color temperature, more like that of an incandescent bulb (yellower).

"OP" means "orange peal" ---- This has to do with the texture on the reflector. Texturing smoothes out the center hotspot at the sacrifice of absolute throwing potential. (think of it as applying a "blur" effect to the beam)... Your P60L module in your 6PL has an orange peel reflector, this results in the softer beam shape.

"SMO" means "smooth" ---- again, this is just describing the reflector surfacing, a smooth reflector has no texturing and will have the tightest beam possible, but may have some minor "artifacts" or rings in the spill beam as a result.

It only costs $4 more to throw on both reflector types, so for your own educational experience it may be well worth trying both.

Any of those module configurations will be way brighter than the P60L that came stock in the 6PL.

Eric

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Thanks guys!

For instance, I ordered a Ra Clicky 100 narrower beam, just cuz I think it's so damn cool.
Assuming the Ra-100-Cn is using the Osram Golden Dragon like the Ra-*-Tr (I believe it is)...

The narrower Ra beams aren't particularly narrow, just narrower than the wide Ra beams. If a true narrow beam is what you're after, the TIR Surefires (current E1B, E1L, E2D LED, E2L and L1) are the way to go.

That said, IMO the Ra Twisty's are absolutely that cool, and HDS/Ra has the best multi-mode UI, so I doubt you'll be disappointed by the Ra Clicky.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you already have a metal bodied light then a malkoff m60 dropin might be appropriate. Very good throw, and it works for a light that I'm guessing you already have.

mostel

Newly Enlightened
THANK YOU!

Mdocod, thanks for the detailed answer--it helps a lot.

Thanks to everyone for all these great replies.

I can see why this place is as popular as a pub on Saturday night!

Nest step, combine pub with EDC. Haha.

I'll get my drop in and check back with you guys on result--also, I'll letcha know how the Ra 100 cn and Nitecore compare to the SF.

Happy Sunday.