How about that Fenix L1P...

jackson5

Newly Enlightened
A classic, eh??

I try and stay away from this forum because every time I make my way over here it cost me money... :) It started with the G2's, then the markov drop in, then the A2, the maglight drop ins...

Three or so years ago I was here and you guys were talking about the L1P so I ordered one and was well impressed with the quality. I only had it in my possession for 6 days before my wife spied it and I haven't seen it since. Yesterday I got it back from her when I needed a flashlight and was without my own, and was reminded of what a great light it is, so.. here I am again on cpf.

I would like to buy another single AA (or maybe 2xAA) light that has many of the same characteristics as this L1P. I have been searching through threads to get an idea of what is available but to be honest, with the number of makes/models/versions it is a bit overwhelming.

What I like about the L1P.

- Clicky switch ( I don't care for twisty switches except for my lights that are used with my firearms)

- Recessed switch such that it will table stand and not be accidently turned on when in a bag full of tools

- The beam is very clear

- The build quality seems very good

- The small size is good. Though I consider the L1P to be too big for pants pocket carry I am not necessarily in the market for a pocket carry light at this time.

- Brightness is ok

What could be better:

- This light is very slippery, especially with wet hands. I am a big fan of aggressive knurling on these type of tools.

- A low mode that was truly low would be really nice.

I am a simpleton mainstream flashlight user and get my AA and AAA batteries from costco during my regular shopping. (other than the 123's that I have to order for my surfires)

I see battery junction has the L1P's for about $22 and that sure is tempting but I'm wondering if there is something out there (fenix or other) with a low mode that might be worth the uptick in price?

Thanks
Wayne

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome back to CPF!!

Yes, there are new lights that are awesome.

The NiteCore D10 sounds like it will fit the bill for you very nicely. 4sevens sells it on 4sevens.com, and you get a 8% discount with discount code CPF8.

Enjoy!

carrot

Flashaholic
I can only echo what the above poster mentioned. You will probably find the D10 ideal or close to ideal. It is also extremely simple in operation, don't let its feature list scare you.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Again, Im going to recommend the Nitecore D10, The piston drive system is extremely reliable,easy to use,and very economic. The alkaline batteries should work fine on the lower levels that the D10 is capable of providing.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Nitecore D10 seems like a good choice.

But if you want just 1 mode and no ramping/other output, then look into a Seoul mod for the L1P or a lower priced light(you''l have to sacrifice some quality). Most of the higher priced lights seem to have some kind of multiple output.

The L1T V2.0 could also work. Just keep the head tight all the time and you have single mode light.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1P style lights:

From DX:
Dx lists everything available in Hong Kong including lots of crap. The following are 2 of the more reliable ones.
MTE 1xAA SSC-P4 42180-U $16.91 Longer than L1P. Stiff tailcap button sticks out just a bit.
Ultrafire C3 Cree Q5 5-Mode $20.87 The head is interchangeable with the L1P (assuming your L1P head is not potted. My bodies/tailcap was sent to another CPFer so not available for comparison.

From 4sevens.com:
Current Fenix lights Remember your 8% discount code.
Fenix L1T v2.0 $44.62 with discount. Bigger than L1P. Tactical tailcap button sticks out just a bit but is interchangeable with stock L1P tailcap.
Tighten head for high level. Loosen head for low level. (low is only slightly less bright than the L1P so if you want a lower low consider the L1D)
Fenix L1D CE $49.27 with discount. Bigger than L1P. Same tailcap as L1P.
Tighten head for turbo mode high level. Soft press the switch to get strobe.
Loosen head for general mode low level. Soft press the switch for medium level. Soft press the switch for high level. Soft press the switch for SOS.
Fenix L1D CE Q5 $55.20 with discount. Same as L1D but with the latest LED.
With the smooth reflector you get maximum throw but the Cree dark ring around the hotspot is very pronounced.
With the textured reflector you get give up some throw to smooth out the Cree dark ring somewhat.
The L1T & L1D is available with 2AA bodies (L2T & L2D).
The L1D head with a CR123A (not compatible with a RCR123A Li-on) is known as the Fenix Digital P2D $42.10 with discount. Since you already have a CR123A light and presumably batteries, thought I'll mention it.

-
NiteCore SmartPD D10 and
NiteCore SmartPD D10, Golden Dragon Plus These do not have a tailcap clickie. The 'button' is a piston which extends to the front of the light. Switching is done electronically. This is probably the shortest 1AA light in production today.
I have only picked one up for size comparison, not operated it so no comments other than size.