"The Torch", not the Maglite mod

vcw

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Has anyone seen this flashlight before? http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Wicked_Lights-74-0.html
Do you guys think this really outputs 4100 Lumens?
If it does, do you think it is reliable at a 15 minute battery life?
Can Lux make a battery pack to make this light have a longer battery life?

Also, can anyone make a light that has an output like this and has a longer battery life? And can sell it to me?

Thanks!
Victor

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
It really does put out around 4000 lumens and has a very short runtime of 10-15 minutes. I have also heard that it has a very short bulb life of about 10 hours. It does look like an amazing light! It was originally designed by CPF Member cmacclel.

If you are interested in getting a high output light I recommend you get an HID like the Vector Power On Board HID (on Ebay for under $50) or the AmondoTech N30.

I own the Power On Board HID and it is amazing. It puts out around 3000 lumens, runs for over an hour at full brightness, and lights up objects nearly a mile away (sometimes the clouds).

The "Torch" will put out more light than the Power On Board HID but will only have a fraction of the throw and beam intensity.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

vcw

Newly Enlightened
Awesome, so did cmacclel sell his plan/designs to Wicked Lasers?
Are you sure it's actually 4000 lumens and not false advertising?
Do you know anyone that has tested and reviewed it?
I want something more handheld, do you know anything else about the same size as the Torch and has a longer battery life?
Is it possible for Lux to make a battery pack for a longer battery life?
And where can I get the bulb for this light for a less price?

Thanks!
Victor

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That light was based on the Maglite mod "The Torch" and Wicked Lasers asked cmacclel for the rights to the name or something like that.

It's much more of a wow bright light then a bright and usable light.

There have been a few threads on that light. Here's one.

I think it was 4100 lumen calculated overdriven bulb lumen so more then actual out the front lumen.

What do you want from the light? How much runtime and how much throw?

vcw

Newly Enlightened
I want something that will have atleast 30+ runtime, preferably 1hour.
I would like around 2500+
Is it possible to mod the driver to not overdrive the bulb and have a longer battery life?

Thanks!
Victor

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Awesome, so did cmacclel sell his plan/designs to Wicked Lasers?
Are you sure it's actually 4000 lumens and not false advertising?
Do you know anyone that has tested and reviewed it?
I want something more handheld, do you know anything else about the same size as the Torch and has a longer battery life?
Is it possible for Lux to make a battery pack for a longer battery life?
And where can I get the bulb for this light for a less price?

Thanks!
Victor

From what I have heard it really does put out 4100 lumens.
I believe cmacclel did sell his "Torch" design to Wicked Lasers.

I'm sorry as I haven't found any reviews on the Torch yet, but as soon as I find one I will post you a link.:)

I am not sure where you could get the bulb, and I don't know if LuxLuthor has made a battery pack to extend its lifetime.

If you are looking for a small handheld light I still recomend the N30 as it is about the same size as a 6V floating lantern, less than half the size and weight of the Power On Board yet it puts out well over 3000 lumens. If you have never seen an HID before it would blow you away.:D EDIT: The N30 is rechargeable and runs for at least 1 hour at full brightness.

Last edited:

vcw

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking of getting the Torch since I already have $311 wicked bucks, haha :)
So should I get the light or save it for something else?
I just bought a 465mW green laser from someone and I have a 125mW and a couple 5mW's from Wicked Laser, so I don't have much use for their lasers, :\

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I was thinking of getting the Torch since I already have $311 wicked bucks, haha :)
So should I get the light or save it for something else?
I just bought a 465mW green laser from someone and I have a 125mW and a couple 5mW's from Wicked Laser, so I don't have much use for their lasers, :\

Congratulations on getting your 465mw beast!

You should get the Torch if you really want a super powerful floodlight that will light up your whole yard like daylight at close range. Just don't expect much throw at all out of it.

You could get a 125mw Pulsar Series red laser which would be a very unique laser and I recommend it over the Torch. If you live in the USA their is a huge risk of a WickedLaser over 5mw getting confiscated by Customs and in that case I would recommend getting the Torch.

I still think you might really enjoy an HID some time.:thumbsup:

vcw

Newly Enlightened
What do you mean the light won't give me much throw?
The Pulsar 125mW is overpriced, I can make a red laser over 200mW for less than $70 maybe even $50.

I haven't received my 465mW yet, :'(
But I'll probably get it by Monday, then I'll post some pictures and a small review of it, :)

Is it possible to get a HID bulb and put it on the Torch?
Also, what other batteries can fit the torch?

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The torch is only good for cooking eggs on a frying pan.:D All the radiant heat. just has big flood.

Think you've spent too much time on wickedscams.com :candle:

Just get a HID for throw. :)

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light output claims regarding the torch are reasonable,however the run time claim of 15 minutes is way off. A torch will run for about 8 minutes , not fifteen.
Also , you are limited to about 2 minutes run in one go. Any more and you risk
melting something. Most likely the surface of the reflector will be the first to go in a well built light.
You can change the 64623 bulb which draws around 10 amps for a 64440 which draws about 4.5amps so you'd get almost 20 minutes or a 64447 at about 5.5amps.
The 64447 bulb will give about 15 minutes run time.

Illum

Flashaholic

well, the torch uses a fixed focus reflector thats camless and set on flood. Unless you managed to bring the reflector back a bit THE TORCH is basically a very powerful floodlight...which is quite ironic because Mag623s [the original burner] are focusable and I'm assuming its spot focus to light fires easier:candle:

vcw

Newly Enlightened
Will this light be possible to use underwater?
Where can I get the bulbs for this light?
How bout the batteries?
And are there any other bulbs that can have more battery runtime?
What material is the reflector?
Is it possible to switch it with something else?

Thanks!
Victor

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
The Pulsar 125mW is overpriced, I can make a red laser over 200mW for less than $70 maybe even $50.

I haven't received my 465mW yet, :'(
But I'll probably get it by Monday, then I'll post some pictures and a small review of it, :)

Is it possible to get a HID bulb and put it on the Torch?
Also, what other batteries can fit the torch?

I mean it won't throw nearly as far as a small HID light or a high power Incandescent with a large reflector (like a halogen spotlight).

I don't think it would be possible to fit an HID bulb in it and I don't see how there could be any room for the ballast. If there was a small HID bulb like a 10 watt that could fit in it then it wouldn't put out nearly as much light as its over driven 6V 100W halogen bulb that it comes stock with.

It should give you more throw than just about any other Incandescent flashlight its size. However, it would give a "flood beam".

If you still like the idea of it based on what you know about it now, I recommend you get it.:grin2::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't feel comfortable powering a "Torch" for 30+ minutes! That's a lot of power and heat for the batteries to deal with. The light may even get too hot to touch. It's a wow light, that's it. Modding it to HID would defeat the purpose of buying the light in the first place and would be a waste of money. Besides, nothing more than a 10w HID (500 lumens) balast would fit in there. If you really want high power with long run time, you'll have to go with an HID. (30+ watts)

vcw

Newly Enlightened
How bout the batteries?

Also, I have a Maglite 3D, can I send it to someone on this forum to help me make a mod to output something like the Torch, and has a longer battery life by keeping the length, or shortening it to 2d?
Also, is it possible to use anything this powerful under water?

Thanks!
Victor

EDIT: I've decided to sell the $300 worth of Wicked Bucks here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2605867#post2605867
and get a HID flashlight:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2610206#post2610206

But if I get enough information on the Torch that can help me change the components on the Torch for a longer and more reliable battery life, I'll buy it, If my Wicked Bucks aren't sold yet, :D

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Torch(both of them) are not meant to be a dive light so no it can't be used underwater. IMO runtime is too short anyways for diving use.

The Torch by cmacclel uses the Osram 64623, the Wicked Lasers one might use the same bulb.

Batteries IIRC are high discharge capable NiMh batteries wired in series. 14.4v so 11 cells total at 1400 mAh according to the picture I saw.

Checking this thread, there are bulbs that you can use instead of the Osram 64623 for more runtime, at less output of course.

The reflector kind has to be metal(Aluminum I think). It is a 100 watt bulb overdriven to around 140 watt. Plastic will burn, not just melt. Same goes fotr the plastic pedestal which the mnaglite bulbs sit in. IIRC the Torch used some kind of ceramis holder and the switch is a different one ment to handle the current.

I would keep the refelctor as is.

As for the maglite, Check this thread.

Runing something like the Torch can cause the head to heat up to the point which it will burn your hand. I don't have one and have neevr seen one so I don't know how long that taked but it is not a good idea to run a 100+ watt bulb in a Maglite sized body for longer peroids of time.

If the light was waterproof, it should run fine underwater. The water would conduct the heat away. Divers use even higher power lights, some you can't even run above water due to the heat produced.

Illum

Flashaholic
most people don't understand that the concept of the torch is the extreme output under the limitation of portability and battery capacity. Water resistance should be similar to an off the shelf maglite at best. [would you use a maglite as your primary dive light? no? didn't think so]

Second, a Osram 64623 is an 12V 100W lamp, overdriven.
Unless you have something like a huge SLA attached to it, don't expect any amount of runtime on it. Its bright yes, but far from practical.

VCW said:
How bout the batteries?

No

http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewItem/bcrw/itmid/132/oc/64623 HLX/item.html

Custom battery packs are available via PM to LuxLuthor

IIRC Osram 64440 may be an idea selection if your going for less output for more runtime, its a 12V 50W lamp with relatively identical size to the 64623

the reflector is most likely aluminum, with an orange peel texture to it.
there are 6 types of reflectors that are used in these "hotwires" each of them having cam or camless [focusing ability] choices. Low orange peel [LOP], Medium orange peel [MOP], Heavy Orange peel [HOP], Low stipple, Medium stipple, heavy stipple. the more texture yields a more even and softer beam, at the cost of throw.
The availability of cammed reflectors is indefinite, as these are custom components made by scratch by members here on the forum.
Places I know for reflectors
http://kaidomain.com/
PM Fivemega
PM Litho123

AFAIK THE TORCH uses a camless LOP

Assuming that the structural components still retain the maglite features it is possible to mod it into something else. Whatever you decide to mod it into please document it and take pics :grin2:

Last edited: