Bang for the Buck

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
I was looking for a Fenix dealer,locally,but with free shipping,what's the point? Being a noob, aren't they better than 90% of what you can find in the local sporting goods store? I got a L1Tv2.0 with the Cree LED, 98 and 15 lumens. Is this already obsolete? I'd also like to try an Inova but the shipping is as much or more than the product.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Depends on what the sporting goods stores around you sell. my local REI sells surefire and Inova and Mel Cotton's sells Surefire.

Marduke

Flashaholic
There are brighter 1xAA lights out there, but the L1t v2.0 Q2 is by no means obsolete. It uses a modern LED which is up to date.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have said, the lights we have and look for are THE cutting edge of the industry, even ahead of the industry as we (me included) go to custom modders like MilkySpit to mod our lights to perform in ways the industry would probably never do on any production level (like my Milky-Modded Surefire U2 with four 12mm reflectors and four Seoul LED's that crank out around 600 lumens on top end while keeping the same levels and runtimes for all levels and can use 18650 cells. Total price tag: approximately $500.00). The rest of the world still thinks Maglights are the best and the 3W Luxeon drop-in for the Mags are "cutting edge" as far as some Mag-Fans are concerned. Little do they know that their humble Mags could put out 1,000+ lumens in either LED or incan configurations. We just have to understand that we are at the front of the pack, and what others consider "bang for the buck" in the form of LuxI, LuxIII, low-bin K2's and Cree's, we Flashaholics have been there, done that, got the t-shirt, seen the movie, bought the DVD, lost the DVD, and forgot about it already.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys seem to be so far ahead that everything seems to be obsolete.

And by the way, if it works for you and does the job you need it to do, it is not obsolete. I have LuxI, LuxIII lights and low-end incans that I still use. The "obsolete" lights are used as emergency lights, blackout lights, in-vehicle lights, knock-about lights for the kids on camp-outs and caving expeditions, all kinds of occasions. That way, they are definitely useful, yet I won't miss them too much if they get broken, lost, etc... No worries. :)

superflytnt

Enlightened
I was looking for a Fenix dealer,locally,but with free shipping,what's the point? Being a noob, aren't they better than 90% of what you can find in the local sporting goods store? I got a L1Tv2.0 with the Cree LED, 98 and 15 lumens. Is this already obsolete? I'd also like to try an Inova but the shipping is as much or more than the product.

Hello popcorn and :welcome:
Fenix makes really good lights for the $$ and your L1T, far from being obsolete, is among my favorite lights in their lineup. You might want to try it's big bro' the L2T or even an L2D Q5 next for longer runtimes and more output. Another good bet is a Surefire 6P. They are simple, rugged and can take any P60 sized LED drop-in module which can be had for under $20 and output 200+ lumens. For a good pocket light I'd go with the Streamlight Microstream, for $15 I just can't say enough about this one and consider it a must have. Oh yeah, I almost forgot..........you're not complete without a Photon Microlight on your person! :D

As you can see, you've got some reading/thinking to do but whatever light you pick up next enjoy the journey to flashaholism...........:wave:

BTW, don't worry about the "cutting edge". Some, here on the forums, seek perfection and spend many thousands on custom lights (called shelf queens because quite often they are investments and aren't used) to try and get there. The middle ground lights around here are still far better than what you find out there in the stores of the masses..............

Last edited: