How fussy are you with your lights?

How fussy are you with your lights?

• Don’t care if they get scratched, banged up, or if battery ends up dead after months of no use.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Who cares if the body is beat up bad & lens dirty, as long as it works.

Votes: 48 37.5%
  • Store them in my house & charge the battery every couple of months.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • You always make sure your hands are clean B4 holding your light & even notice a spec of dust on it.

Votes: 35 27.3%

• Total voters

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my lights, but I try not to touch them too much when my hands are dirty (ie sticky, gunk on my hands, grease, etc). It helps make the clean up a bit easier. This is not just lights, but everything else I use, like my cellphones / keys etc.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted #1:grin2:...but #2 also applies to me

I try to keep 'em looking nice but things happen. Most of my lights are users and I treat them that way, but I do have a few that I intend to keep nice and they only get used inside. For the most part, I consider my flashlights "Illumination Tools" and thats exactly what they are...TOOLS!

While I don't throw my lights at brick walls or attempt to cut through other lights with the aggressive knerling on my Surefires, they do get dropped, banged into stuff, see water, and other random mishaps. I just don't intensionally beat the hell out of them. When I drop some serious money on tools, I treat them well and expect them to last a long time....kinda like actually setting my Snap-On ratched down instead of throwing it down and also wiping off the dirt and grease before I put it away.

Now some people take it to the extreme...which is fine if you have a really nice light like a McGizmo or you can only afford 1 or 2 nice lights.
Others complain if there is a tiny mark in the anodizing on their Nitecores of Fenix lights and freak out like its the end of the world. You just have to expect that accidents happen and scrapes, dings, and scratches will happen with ANYTHING that gets used.

After that first ding/scratch/dent happens the rest that come in the future are easier to deal with.

My E1B (Backup) gets the crap beat out of it though. It rides on the shoulder strap of my Maxpedition Falcon II. Almost everytime I set it down, the E1B gets another "character mark". At this point I am almost proud of the level of wear on it..:D

003-12.jpg

Last edited:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted #1:grin2:

I try to keep 'em looking nice but things happen. Most of my lights are users and I treat them that way, but I do have a few that I intend to keep nice and they only get used inside. For the most part, I consider my flashlights "Illumination Tools" and thats exactly what they are...TOOLS!

While I don't throw my lights at brick walls or attempt to cut through other lights with the aggressive knerling on my Surefires, they do get dropped, banged into stuff, see water, and other random mishaps. I just don't intensionally beat the hell out of them. When I drop some serious money on tools, I treat them well and expect them to last a long time....kinda like actually setting my Snap-On ratched down instead of throwing it down and also wiping off the dirt and grease before I put it away.

Now some people take it to the extreme...which is fine if you have a really nice light like a McGizmo.
Others complain if there is a tiny mark in the anodizing on their Nitecores of Fenix lights and freak out like its the end of the world. You just have to expect that accidents happen and scrapes, dings, and scratches will happen with ANYTHING that gets used.

After that first ding/scratch/dent happens the rest that come in the future are easier to deal with.

My E1B (Backup) gets the crap beat out of it though. It rides on the shoulder strap of my Maxpedition Falcon II. Almost everytime I set it down, the E1B gets another "character mark". At this point I am almost proud of the level of wear on it..:D
Great post. :goodjob:

mdocod

Flashaholic
I voted #2, but this is only accurate about fussiness as it applies to appearance. I am VERY fussy about keeping cells charged and ready for anything, and having spares on hand ready to go for whatever might come up. I have cells on a charger pretty much every day for one light or another, keeping things in check.

loszabo

Enlightened
#4, but I don't mind the lights getting used. I always take out the cells, clean them before storing, etc. Lights are rotated once in a while.

Makes it easier to resell or trade them later... :whistle: If you receive an "used" flashlight from a CPF collector and it looks like new, you'll understand!

"Treat your equipment well, and it will treat you well!"

Last edited:

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
I voted #4. While I'm not obsessively anal about my lights, I do treat them with care and hate to see them get banged up. I try to do the least to get them beat up, including keeping them in pockets that don't see spare change or keys, but dings do happen. My E2DL that never sees anything in the pocket gets little marks on the bezel from being exposed above the pocketline, but it's okay; it's served me well and it doesn't affect the performance.

I've dropped my Tiablo A9 and Surefire M2 in the gravel when I've hopped out of my truck and certainly wasn't happy, but they worked after I picked them up and they suffered just minor road rash. In the end, I wasn't too upset.

I treat them well because just like anything else, things that are taken care of last a long, long time. Good thread!

aussiebob

Enlightened
#3 Mainly

But different light are treated differently, like im not gunna use my latest expensive light to bang around working on my car or something.

:)

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
#4 mainly as well for me.
As for my EDC, I try to keep that in as good a condition as possible... no damage so far :)
But the one thing I never do is borrow it to anyone. Learnt the hard way
when I borrowed aknife to someone and they tried to use it as a pry bar :mad:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very, very fussy until the first signs of damage appear then its just a case of if it works then it works and to heck with cosmetic issues. Only then can it be used properly!
:devil: Only then can anyone else get their hands on one of my lights.

cl0123

Enlightened
mdocod took the words out of my mouth. All my lights are users stashed around the house or offices. I have one of those 8-cells Maha charger occupying the "landing zone (where everything goes)" in my home and most AA/AAA duties are handled by NiMH's. "If and when" the Pila charger arrives*, I will probably put it around there to feed the Lithium ions. My better-half and the kids are all taught and allowed to use the lights anytime they need. My kids are young and so the lights do get dropped, thrown, scratched, ... you name it.

In the office, I stockpiled primary cells, or we call it readiness maintenance. We still have a small army of Mag D-cells and so I probably wouldn't have to loan out my single- or two-CR123 form-factor lights.

With Aloha,

Clarence

*OT: found a place in CPF MarketPlace selling the Pila IBC at a discount and placed an order in mid-August. The seller finally found out that it won't be arriving until Sept-6. Thankfully, they do finally offer to refund the shipping charges. Good grief!

I voted #2, but this is only accurate about fussiness as it applies to appearance. I am VERY fussy about keeping cells charged and ready for anything, and having spares on hand....

unique

Enlightened
voted for

"You always make sure your hands are clean B4 holding your light & even notice a spec of dust on it."

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am on the same page with clarence and mdocod. its not the way they look that i am stickler about. it always make sure i have spares charged, and primaries for backup. i also always make sure i have all contacts deoxit-ed when neccesary and all threads cleaned and lubed. If you compared the inside of my lights with the outside you would be suprised at the extreme difference. but my lights get used. especially my 6P in the V70 holster, just putting it in and taking it out of the holster does major cosmetic damage, but it does the job. the lights stayes in no matter what but its quick to come out when i need it. thats what i love about my lights. they get used and they work:thumbsup:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm probably no more careful with my lights than I am with any of my tools and toys. That means pretty careful. Seldom do they get dropped or banged around. Scratches won't break my heart, but I do hate to see them. On the other hand I don't hesitate to run down a battery and lubing is infrequent.

Geoff

stinkydeelux01

Newly Enlightened
Voted #3, but should've been 2.5- I don't care about the body, but the lens and light engine should be perfect....that's what they're for!

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
#4, but I don't mind the lights getting used. I always take out the cells, clean them before storing, etc. Lights are rotated once in a while.

Makes it easier to resell or trade them later... :whistle: If you receive an "used" flashlight from a CPF collector and it looks like new, you'll understand!

+4 for me on that one too :thumbsup:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of the above, i dont mind it getting scratched just rather it didnt, i need it to work and id rather keep it clean and in good working order, eg. o-rings/threads cleaned/lubed when i notice they are dirty, i dont protect them ill use them when i need to and tough s**t if it gets dented scratched or whatever, thats what they were made for, getting used

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very meticulous in taking care of my gear whether they are lights or camping gear.

I always clean my lights after outdoor use. I prefer a clean look. If it gets scratch up, I cover it with black paint.