Travelling around the world - need a light! :)

nila

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,
I'm about to take off travelling around the world for 6+ months.

I obviously want to take a light with me when I'm travelling.
Looking for something that takes AA's to make my life easier when I'm all over the place and need to be able to easily get it going again (Think I'd prefer single AA just so that its smaller - what sort of life should I expect from it?).
Also obviously want something SUPER bright - would love it if it could do wide angle as well as narrow for at night setting up a tent etc?

Was considering a head lamp (one of those ones that have the kit so you can put it on your head so you can put up a tent etc still too).

Just looking for general suggestions, tips, etc as to what to get.

I'm thinking to get it from dealextreme so feel free to link to specific devices you think I should get :)

Appreciate the help guys!

Burgess

Flashaholic
For a wonderful single-cell AA headlamp,

check out the ZebraLight H50.

Great choice !

:twothumbs

_

HeadCSO

Enlightened
I would suggest taking 2 lights - never hurts to have a backup.

My choice would be a Nitecore D10. If you require a headlamp, Zebralight H50.

For backup, Fenix L0D or Fenix E01, or if size is an issue, a Photon Microlight or one of its clones.

zven

Enlightened
I would second the vote for the D10 and the H50. I personally prefer the clicky interface of the H30 over the twisty H50, but if batteries are a priority, I could see choosing otherwise.

If you had to narrow it to just one light, for price or whatever reason, I'd say go with the D10. It'll be brighter than the H50, and for general use, it's infinitely more useful to have a hotspot with some throw rather than full flood (unless you know that you NEED a headlamp, perhaps).

Personally, I'll be taking my D10 and H30 on overseas travels, as well as my G2L. I'll also consider taking some of my other lights, but those will pretty much cover me, especially if I want to travel light (heh, no pun intended... seriously...).

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd suggest 2 lights too(minimum). An AA powered headlamp with an AA powered handheld. The Zebralight H50 is a good choice for a floody multimode headlamp.

As for AA powered lights, you have a lot of options. The Dosun R1 seems like a good choice here. Not the brightest but has an easy to use interface, good runtime, and should be pretty durable. It is a bit big though.

Brands that you should look at: Fenix, Olight, Kingpower, Lumapower, Jetbeam, Nitecore, and Liteflux. Go for the models with current generation LEDs(Cree XR-E, Seoul P4, and Luxeon Rebel and TFFC K2).

8% off coupon at Fenix Store and 4Sevens is "CPF8". Batteryjunction's coupon is "CPF2006", I'm not sure if it has changed yet.

The main problem is that alkaline batteries aren't able to supply enough current for most of the higher output LED lights to regulate well. They will run but you will get a gradually dimming and shorter runtime at the higher output levels.

I'd also bring a smaller backup type light like the Fenix E01, Arc AAA, and similar.

What price range are you looking at?

I wouldn't buy a budget light from DX for this kind of job unless you are buying a few incase a few fails(but then it might be cheaper to buy a better one instead of many cheaper ones).

:welcome:

Last edited:

Sarratt

Enlightened
Yes from what I've read that H50 Zebra light is really all you need.
It will however, only shine about 10 yards away brightly.

Of course if you need to look farther then it's far to late --- the water buff will be upon you.

See you back at the club

S

(all in good teasing fun :) )

Ok all seriousness ... get the L2D q 5 if you can or any L2D ... its the most variable light I own---- 185 lumuns is way way bright and the lowest is fine for work.
If you really are working in the outdoors then you need a headlamp ... see other thread

greenLED

Flashaholic
check out the ZebraLight H50.

Great choice !
... only if your needs require a broad beam and not a whole lot of throw.

I usually take 2 - 3 lights when I travel. One handheld, a headlamp, and a backup to both of them. Oh, and I bring a few spare batts along, just in case I'm stuck somewhere without access to a store for any given period of time. (Of course you won't lug 6 months worth of batts, but it's wise to have half a dozen or so handy and as backup.)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two is one, one is none. Definitely have a backup light. A lot depends on whether or not you like complex interfaces or simple on-off. If you can go for a more complex interface, look at a Liteflux 5XT. I hear the D10 and Zebralight H50 are nice as well. Fenix and Olight have good reputations... it all depends on how complicated you want the light to be.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
:welcome: nila! Ditto what everyone says about the Zebralight H50 and NiteCore D10... great combination! I have both and I brought both with me on my camping trip this past weekend. I also used the Fenix diffuser tip for general area lighting as well.

Good luck with your search and let us know how it works out for you on your trip.

rotncore

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the D10 and Zebralight H50. I have both, and if I was taking off around the world, I'd have no qualms going with those 2, especially if you are going to more remote locations for long periods. AA's of various chemistry can be found pretty much anywhere.

However, I would have a really hard time leaving my single cell CR123 lights...I guess it depends on where you are going. I might be tempted to bring my Surefire E1B and L1 for backup, and a baseball cap to make them into headlamps. 10 cells and I'd be good to go.