Surefire E1L Upgrade / Mod options

segan

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Just wondering if I could get some advice on upgrade / mod options for an old SF E1L I have lying around. This is the model circa 2005, it has an E1E body and I believe the first gen KL1 head with TIR optic which throws out a squarish tight beam. I'd like to preserve the original design characteristics of the light which was decent output with long runtime on 1xCR123. But with advances in LED technology I'd say I'd be able to get better output at the same runtime now. Also I've never been a big fan of the beam of the light esp the squarish hotspots and rings generated by the TIR optic.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, damn - I just snapped the clip on my E1L.

-Trevor

Lumalee

Newly Enlightened
MARNAV1,
May I ask if you have already done this mod to a SF E1L. You see I am in a similar position, I have two of the SF E1L Outdoorsman lights and love them but just need that extra bit of light usually. One of them with a KL1 head and one with KX1 head so I thought I would modify the TIR KL1 version. Is the mod difficult and does it need any engineering or are the components drop in ?
I am capable of soldering etc but nothing too complicated, so before I order the LED and reflector I was hoping for a little advice.

Cheers
Lee

Energie

Enlightened
Some (homemade) E1e/E1L options:

E1-1.jpg

From left:
- E1e, reflector McR20S, driver GD500 (500 mA), Seoul P4
- E1e, reflector McR20S, driver GD1000 (1000 mA), Seoul P4U2 (more pics)
- E1L / KL1, reflector McR20S, stock driver (700 mA), Seoul P4
- E1L / KX1, stock reflector, driver GD500, stock Cree led (more pics)

All lights work with CR123 and RCR123

Last edited:

segan

Newly Enlightened
hey thanks for the suggestions, those sure are some nicely modded E1E / E1Ls. Unfortunately I have no modding skills to speak of, any recommendations of a reliable modder on CPF?