DB4AA's $7.99 @ Office Depot in So Cal Again

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
DB4AA\'s $7.99 @ Office Depot in So Cal Again

I saw about 20 of them in silver, pewter, red, and blue today.

jmm

Newly Enlightened
Re: DB4AA\'s $7.99 @ Office Depot in So Cal Again

They don't have ANY at the OD nearest me... Darnit!
mad.gif

Just curious as to whether they were the "new style" ones with the single tailcap and locking screw, or the "older style" with a separate screw-in plug in each battery tube?

John

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

They're the new style as they were back in March when they had the last batch.

Office Depot really doesn't like them. They go straight to the closeout bin in front and aren't even marked. I had to do a register check to determine the price.

BTW, the last DB8AA's and DB6AA's I bought no longer have the recessed positive receiver terminal in the polycarbonate head fingers that go into the barrels. That makes modding easier.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lemlux...which Office Depot near you has it? I live near National City but the OD near me doens't cary them.

Is it the 4AAA or 4AA? just make sure it's not a typo. I could easy get the 4AAA model for under 10 dollars. But eh 4AA i'd like to try. I've heard that there was a mod to accept lithium 123s.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

LEDAgent:

Its in the Office Depot in Leucadia at the Intersection of Leucadia Blvd. and El Camino Real. It's also really DB4AA's

I'm tempted to follow Aragorn's lead and cut the barrel down by 34 mm so that each side holds only 2@ CR123's. He did this for a parallel P61 Mod, but I would use the W/A 01278 4.8V 1.92 A bulb for mine. The only questionable part for me will be drilling two holes at the top of the barrel and using self-tapping screws to reattach the head. This shorter size flashlight on a bulb that should run about 10W should be aesthetically pleasing.

BTW, now that Walmart appears to have finished closing out the DB4AA at $6, where do you find them?

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lemlux,

better wait for your dummies befor modding that nice flashlight with a saw
tongue.gif

Klaus

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

Klaus:

I said "I'm tempted"... I probably will wait for your 2/3 A and 1/3 A dummies.

On the other hand, you must admit that a DB4AA that is 34 mm shorter than stock is intriguing. I could run either the 4.8 V bulb in parallel or the 9.1 V in serial.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

@Lemulx,

regarding the shorter DB4AA - you are so right - actually the pretty bad relation of battery number & capacity vs length & total size is IMO the drawback on the DBs in generell - which is offset by the nice flexibility they have and which we use for our nice mods - and using those Sanyo A cells you managed to find the capacity issue isn´t as bad anymore too - to be honest I just wanted to tease you
grin.gif

Klaus