Brinkmann Nexstar and Opalec

External

Newly Enlightened
Is it possible to put an Opalec Newbeam module in a Brinkmann Nexstar 2aa flashlight?

the Brinkmann looks like a very nice light with a tail cup.
and it might be more usefull than a MiniMag.

Thanks,
Sam

External

Newly Enlightened
Does no one here have a Brinkmann Nexstar flashlight?

I am thinking of buying a Brinkmann Nexstar but i want to make sure that it works with the Opalec Newbeam.

Sam

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to get one but it looks like brinkmann has discontinued them, or for some reason is not offering them on their website any more.

Empath

Flashaholic
The Nexstar lamp surpasses what's used in the other T1 lamp AA lights. It's shape and wider circumference though, is absurd. I have one but never considered it for an LED or even general use, because of it's shape and size. I have used the Nexstar lamp in other lights though.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empath what model nexstar do you have? would you want to get rid of it cheap? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
It's the Nexstar AA. No, I don't want to get rid of it. That I find a fault with a light doesn't mean I hate them. I love lights. If it were reasonable, I'd have one of each one made.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious to get one but the shipping charges make it $20 from the two dealers I can find that have them...neither of which, of course, sell the replacement bulbs so if I wanted them I'd have to waste more $$ on shipping from Brinkmann.

Can anyone say if they've been discontinued?

Also, are the Nexstar 2AA lamps any better than the Radio Shack Krypton T1 lamp?

Negeltu

Enlightened
Fred Myers was carrying them here in Oregon last time I checked. As I recall they were pretty cheap. I can't remember the exact price, but I can check.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTTT - anyone tried both the Nexstar and Radio Shack Krypton lamps? Is it worth ordering the Nexstars?

This is mostly for the Mag AAA, which is suddenly a usable light with the Krypton lamp and NiMH AAAs.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh to hell with it, I bit the bullet and ordered 8 of the Nexstar 2AA bulbs...and resisted the temptation to order any of the other overpriced lights on the site, like the 5-3-2 or the 2AAA ProMax. Cornerhardware.com has the lamps a little cheaper, and sells the Nexstar flashlights too, but charges $8 for shipping (I hear Brinkmann is $5) and I kept being tempted to get the 2C+bulbs as well, which added up to too much of a total for me right now.

I have enough T1-2AA lights around the house, and enough AA rechargeables, that I'm sure the nexstar bulbs will be handy to have around. I'll post a comparison when I get them.

Catapult

Enlightened
I would like to know just how much brighter are they, and if it is worth it?

I would go from LED back to incandecent in my MiniMags if they are truly bright.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the Krypton is a nice step up in brightness and readily available at any Radio Shack for $2.50, so try that if you haven't. I don't know that I'd subject alkaline AAs to 450mA but you can, and with NiMHs in a 2AAA light it's quite useful.

I'm kind of expecting the Nexstars to be the same, but I keep hearing they're xenon, so maybe they will be better.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got them in today and checked them in AA MiniMags with rechargeable batteries. The beams of the NexStar (Xe), RS Kr, and stock bulb sure look different in brightness. The NexStar is, if anything, more of an improvement over the Kr than the Kr is over the stock bulb. It draws the same current as the Kr bulb (400-450mA).

'course, that's looking at the beams on a wall, which shows up the difference in color temperature clearly. Bouncing it off the ceiling and looking at the floor, the Xe/Kr difference is barely noticeable. Even less so with the AAA MiniMag. It's hard to compare the AAA and the AA. The AA looks brighter regardless which has the Kr and which the Xe.

Measuring shows 2.40V in the AAA, 2.45 in the AA, which looks insignificant, but I'd swear the Xenon NexStar looks whiter, if not brighter.

Here's a photo where I "clipped" the Kr to the Xe which was in the AAA MiniMag, then put a black divider between the two. I have to admit, right there they looked about the same to me, and the camera agrees as far as I can tell. The median value in the original graphic is Kr-25 and Xe-30, but looking just above the bulb I get 27 and 28. So, if the Xe is brighter, it ain't by much. Doesn't even look whiter here.

T1KRXE.jpg

Catapult

Enlightened
How much runtime did you get out of the Nexstars before hitting the dim zone?

Does the Nexstar with NiMH perform better than a stock bulb with alkalines?

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't run any batteries down testing the bulbs as I was just interested in brightness. Runtime with NiMHs is easy to estimate at 3-4 hours, depending on cell capacity and charge. I've heard alkalines can manage about 3 hours at that load, and e2 or Ultras probably wouldn't be wasted in that application.

The Nexstar lamp with NiMH, in either the MiniMag AA or AAA, was slightly brighter, and noticeably whiter, than the stock bulb with fresh (1.47V) alkaline cells.

Catapult

Enlightened
From that, I would say that the use of alkalines with the Nexstar would yeild excellent results then. So it is worth it in every way.

Wonder if the total output is near that of other good performaing 2AA lights? Have you tried comparing them to Princeton Tec 20, Streamlight Propolymer, or 2AA Pelican MightyLite?

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, excellent results while the higher voltage lasts, personally I don't like to run alkaline AAs past 200-300mA since they get inefficient at that point. I mostly got the Nexstar lamps so I could get some use out of my old Mag AAA. With 750NiMHs in it I'll get over an hour of bright-enough-to-be-useful light, which is more than it ever could do before.

It should be comparable to the other 2AA 500mA lights in total lumens. I'll have a Tec 20 soon, but don't have the other lights. Have some that use the same bulb, though. My other favorite 2AA is the Pelican VersaBrite II. With NiMH, the Minimag with Nexstar is brighter than the VersaBrite II, though the beam isn't that nice perfectly smooth white spot that the Pelican has.

My main question was, are the Xe worth it over the Kr that are easily bought at Radio Shack. Sort of, is my answer, mainly if whiteness matters, since they are about the same brightness.

I still think the stock bulb is best for alkalines as far as brightness and efficiency compromises go. 500mA is just too much for an AA, IMHO. Of course, an Opalec or MadMax is better, but at a steep price.