Yet another first SureFire

kurni

Enlightened
Hi guys,

I know that this has been mentioned many times before, but I just need to vent my excitement. I cannot tell my wife because, you know... I cannot tell anybody else because they'll look at me with their condemning eyes :scowl: So unfortunately... here goes another thread.

The first time I looked at my brand-new C2 courtesy of GenEric808, I thought "what the heck is that"? The factory seal just added the suspense because I had to dig my drawer for a pair of scissors.

"God it's a tank!!!" Then I tightened the tailcap and "Aaaawww... look at the tint!" I love it.

I unscrewed the tailcap and "Heck, it's not like my Fenix P2D", it felt really solid. Ok, Ok, please don't shoot me because it's not a fair comparison. I don't have Fenix T series. I am just trying to illustrate a comparison using the available reference.

I looked at the thread "Yummm... it's thick!!!" I opened Z48 and "Gee it's bulky... and the rubber looks raw." 1/2 cm of the end of the rubber is rougher than the rest, but it's not a deal breaker. Click is nice although it's somewhat difficult due to the rubber around it. Not an immediate satisfaction RE: Z48 but it's better than twisting the tail.

I opened the head and wondered, "how come it's not opening?" Only to realise that I need to pull it, and POP! The o-ring is so tight and well lubricated. I looked down the tube and couldn't believe the flawless machining.

I installed Dereelight 5A Q2 and love the tint, now I'm waiting for my 17670 to charge in my Pila... "Damn, it's taking forever." :eek: Like a little kid.

Put on FM34 and "Oh dear, look at this Frankenstein." It doesn't resemble my perception of torch; it looks like an alien.

Yay, thanks CPF, while typing this thread my 17670 is charged, and it's dark too!!! With diffuser it's brighter than my P2D RB100, without diffuser it seems brighter also, but more importantly, the yummy tint.

Look at that Dereelight ring!!! What ring??? I don't care, the setup is worthed. Flip the diffuser when I need throw, and most of the time I have the diffuser on.

I put on the lanyard, and it feels odd because the ring turns around the body, but I don't care :p It's my SF honeymoon. I notice the lanyard ring has a joint, presumably it's designed to break when there's too much pull. Gee SF has thought of a lot of things.

I'll take photos if I have a chance, I'm actually really busy at the moment; many jobs due tomorrow but... I can't help it; C2 is by my side while working.

Thanks Eric; well... not sure about the thanks actually because now I have more spending options.

See you later guys, unfortunately I'm really busy :faint:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enjoy your first SureFire :eek:

What do you think your next one will be? :D

Regards,
Tempest

generic808

Enlightened
Glad to see it arrived to you safe and sound! The C2 is a tank! That thing is built to outlast anything, and thensome :D

Niconical

Enlightened
Have a look at my sig line.

See the first light listed.

And guess where/who it came from...... :naughty:

The C2 is great, it will be my 'main' light for a long while to come :)

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
The C2 is probably my Surefire that I like the best. It's a great light. I have an M60 in it, but the 5A Q2 Deerelight module would be great in it, too.

sappyg

Enlightened
i just got my C2 last thursday and when i compare it to my 6P, G2 and G3 it's in another league all together. no LED for this baby.... i just popped in an LF SR-9 with a pair of AW 123's and it stands up to my P90 bulb.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Lucky dawg!! thats one of my favs (the satin gray one). WELCOME to the "One Surefire in my collection club." Stock up on primaries and enjoy the ride... Thats the LAST flashlight you will ever really need to buy!!

:thumbsup:

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I just got my second SF a C2 and I love it more than my girlfriend (hope she doesn't read this). I'm contemplating several LED drop ins but also want to use a 17670. Can you tell me if the 17670 fits easily and works fine in your C2? I assume you did not have to modify the C2 to fit the 17670?
Thanks

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm with the SF price increases I was contemplating a C2-HA as a host for drop-ins. I maybe should have taken advantage of the labor day sales. I'd probably have to get a new tail-cap for it as well... hmmm I suspect the old stock price will be around for a few more days...

kurni

Enlightened
mega lumens (catchy name), I'm using AW 17670; it's not even tight.

Note Dereelight drop-in; mine flickers a bit from time to time but a dose of DeoxIT and ProGold fix the problem.

I used 3 layers of Aluminum foil covered in Arctic Silver because the module is slightly too small. Now it snug fit and greasy.

Eric, I have been eyeballing M6 for a while but I'm a LED junkie; I don't have the skill put multi LEDs in M6 to do it justice.

generic808

Enlightened
I just got my second SF a C2 and I love it more than my girlfriend (hope she doesn't read this). I'm contemplating several LED drop ins but also want to use a 17670. Can you tell me if the 17670 fits easily and works fine in your C2? I assume you did not have to modify the C2 to fit the 17670?
Thanks

17670's fit just fine in all three of my C2's.

kurni

Enlightened
I've used it for a few days and loving it. Admittedly still getting used to Z48; my thumb has to travel around the rubber cover; I really love the tailstand tho.

I don't understand the deal with the original tailswitch; I find it really awkward to twist the tail, and the momentary push is too hard for me.

I managed to open the lanyard joint and shorten the string; now I just have the shortened string & the joint at the end; I love the low profile lanyard. Any idea where I can buy the joint? I bought an extra SF lanyard it came without any joint, only a couple of push-bead :(

What do you guys use the rubber around the body? I find it useful to hold C2 like a cigar with my thumb on the switch; is there any other use for it?

I initially was worried about different HA colour, but in real life it doesn't bother me at all; Z48 is slightly lighter than the body but it never catches my attention unless I intentionally look for the colour difference.

Does your tail thread become "black" after a while; I mean the lubricant seems to turn dark; I wonder what made it dark. Is it the Z48 HAIII that is eroded?

I love it; too bad it's too big for EDC. I am resisting buying SF EDC; I don't think I can get anything more compact than my P2D using RCR123.

For me, the value of SF C2 is:

1. the solid feel (probably because it's heavy)
  2. lego-ability (Dereelight 5A Q2 + Z48)
  3. hassle-free FM34 (I don't have to fear losing a diffuser when I need the throw)
  4. the strong and minimal lanyard (I've never known anything stronger)
  5. the thread (thick, no play; o-rings fit really well)
  6. shock-proof Z48
  7. anti-roll design
  8. the smell (I know, I am weird)
What I dislike:

1. FM34 prevents headstand (but I have to have a diffuser :p)
  2. FM34 might break if dropped
  3. the rubber cover (thumb travels, but I have to have tailstand)
  4. FM34 creates a "tunnel" in front of the bezel; hence reducing spill
  5. the clip (love-hate)
  6. different HAIII tint
  7. the bulky Z48
Thanks everybody, there are many positives and most of my dislikes are unavoidable due to my choice of configuration; so it's not perfect but it's really close to perfect.

My next wish is a neutral-white / DSVO P7 / four-die Cree drop-in with constant current regulator. I guess I have to wait for a while :eek:

Cheers,
Kurni

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ah, I remember the first time I got my C2. It was my very first Surefire.

Something special about that model. You never forget your first. :)

Mine currently has a Malkoff M60 drop-in installed. Took a great light, and combined it with a great lamp.

Till

Newly Enlightened
I think the lube on the threads turning dark is due to tiny pieces of the anodizing flaking off or something like that.

All of my SFs do the same thing. A good thing, however, is that when the lube gets too dark, it lets me know when to clean and re-lube the threads and o-rings.

Latest posts