MR Bulk's First Regulated Mod: the MagLegend

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
MR Bulk\'s First Regulated Mod: the MagLegend

Well, make that "somewhat" regulated. I bought a bag of 1W PowerPucks and stuck one into a MiniMag with Legend tailcap switch (hence the name MagLegend) and here is what it looks like, it's the one on the left:

fc4d6e96.jpg

It's up against some stiff competition with the likes of the Arc LSH-P, SF E2e/KL1, and McLux w/BB750. And the MagLegend sports a very bright, blue-white P4J emitter, tested beforehand.

Here're the beamshots in the same order as the picture:

fc4d6e97.jpg

And the lux readings? Here's how they came out:

McLux - 408

E2e/KL1 - 313

Arc LSH-P - 314

MagLegend - 225

So I'm thinking, "Is this mod worth it?", and I added up the figures:

MiniMag - $8 (actually a little more in Hawaii)
PowerPuck - $13 (bag of 10 for $129.95)
Kroll switch - $5
1W Luxeon - $7.70
NX-05 optic - $3.50

That's nearly $40 just in parts. Add on the shipping to get everything here, wiring, heatsink, thermal compounds, my time expended in construction, etc. -- all for just 225 lux?

Every single LGI Classic that I make now ($55 shipped) produces a minimum of 700 lux.

So...building this mod was definitely Not worth it, IMHO.

But wasn't this an interesting revelation? Certainly was for me.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MR Bulk\'s First Regulated Mod: the MagLegend

Now it'd be somewhat interesting to see the runtime on this guy... Might be that the tradeoff in brightness might mean double the runtimes of the other lights...

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

also, this light is not as long as the LGI. i think it is better to use kroll instead of the legend tailcap to get a shorter and more compact light.

Blue_Shift

Newly Enlightened

I just did the same mod, minus the switch. And I was wondering where I could get a switch that would fit.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Blue,

You could use a Kroll, or even the Legend switch like I did as long as you can screw it in far enough for the switch spring to make secure contact with the battery (they're not exactly the same threads between the Mag and Legend).

Blue_Shift

Newly Enlightened

Mr. Bulk,
Since I am a noob I don't know where to get either of those items. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif
thank you

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

wow, a regulated light... i thought you were better than that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

it's ok though, i forgive you. i'm planning one myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dang! I'd be pretty disappointed in just 225 lux too.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Maybe there's a problem somewhere? I built my first puck into that headlight using a NX01 flood optic, it luxed 280 or so.. I just finished building a 2C mag with a 1W SE + puck and it luxed 2640... I'll probably do a write-up on it.

Kill-O-Zap

Enlightened

Paypal sent!
NOT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kill-O-Zap

Enlightened

Gotta love that off-kilter tailcap, especially :) A page right out of the Surefire/Arc flashlight fit-n-finish book... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Sal, it is NOT off-kilter! But my camera was...=)

Slick, I'm thinking on 2 C's or 2 D's and focused through a Magflector it would do pretty good. In fact I think I will eventually try that, and with a 1W HD to boot...

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Slick, I'm thinking on 2 C's or 2 D's and focused through a Magflector it would do pretty good. In fact I think I will eventually try that, and with a 1W HD to boot...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the Mag's big reflector takes advantage of every bit of dimunutive output the puck driven Luxeon has to offer. You wouldn't like the light for on-the-job, but it will make a great light for a weekend camping trip where you want decent light but don't want to be bothered with battery changes.

Latest posts