Anybody eyeing tropical storm Hanna?

WDR65

Enlightened
I live in Bluffton, SC just inland from Hilton Head Island and we're watching and waiting. The last I read it was projected to head right for us. Its not my first hurricane as I went through both Fran and Floyd as well as four or five smaller hurricanes when I was growing up in North Carolina.

I'm wondering if there is anyone else in this area or further up the coast waiting like I am. I have plenty of lights and enough supplies for me though I think the company I work for is going to put us up in a hotel further inland if it gets bad. Just curious what everyone is thinking.

bitslammer

Enlightened
The company I work for (property & casualty insurance company) placed "Binding Restrictions" on FL, SC, and GA this morning.

What that means is we won't sell any new insurance policies in those states, nor will we allow people to change their coverage. This prevents low lifes from going with no insurance or with inadequate insurance most of the year and then trying to get covered at the last moment.

Needless to say we watch the weather 24x7 during hurricane season.

Illum

Flashaholic
I'm not eyeing that girl....Fay didn't rape us but the water certain got us worried....Hanna? Lets hope Hanna is a good girl and dissipate her heat by moving up north.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
We'll probably get some good rain here in central NC. That would be okay since it's been a bit dry. I sure hope its not coming straight over us like Fran. That one was a real pain.

Geoff

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm leaving from MD for VA tonight for 5 days, and yeah, we're watching for Hanna. We're staying at a beach house with a dock right off the back, so I hope things ain't too bad, we don't want to stay inside all damn week.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
This prevents low lifes from going with no insurance or with inadequate insurance most of the year and then trying to get covered at the last moment.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find that statement funny? Insurance companies getting beat at their own game? Why not cancel coverage you don't need during certain months of the year?

Roger

z96Cobra

Enlightened
Looking at the latest predicted tracks, if you are worried about Hanna, you should really be worried about Ike! Granted, predicted tracks this far out don't mean much, but Ike could really be problematic for the east coast late next week!

Roger

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just me, or does anyone else find that statement funny? Insurance companies getting beat at their own game? Why not cancel coverage you don't need during certain months of the year?

I know...seems like a logical thing to do. I mean I'd cancel my auto insurance if I stopped driving for a period of time.

WDR65

Enlightened
Well it looks like it is going to miss us here in the lowcountry and I'm glad as I don't have to worry about too much of a cleanup. I work on a large residential development and the company I work for does much of the maintenance so we would have probably been busy all weekend long with a direct hit. Since there hasn't been a major storm in this area in over a hundred years there a lots of diseased and insect infested trees that are just waiting to come down in a good stiff breeze, not to mention fifty to sixty mile an hour gusts.

It looks like Hanna is headed towards my parents in southeastern NC. I doubt they'll be much inconvenienced by it as the power companies have learned many lessons from past storms. I may even head up this weekend to visit as I had planned because it looks like Ike might be problem by next weekend.

bitslammer

Enlightened
I know...seems like a logical thing to do. I mean I'd cancel my auto insurance if I stopped driving for a period of time.

Exactly, but you can't decide that you are not going to get hit by a hurricane/flood/tornado/earthquake can you?

Quite a different situation since a motorcycle in the garage no longer presents a risk to the owner or insurance company. Just like how you'll get lower rates based on the miles/year you drive a car. Less time on the road=lower risk of an accident/claim. So when you have "down time" your risk and rates go down.

For flood/hurricane/earthquake insurance there's no "down time" since you (the insured) don't control the risk of loss, Mother Nature does. That's the way insurance works. It's a system for individuals to "pool" resources to guard against loss. If nobody carried coverage until they knew they were going to get hit the system would not work.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just flew out to Charleston from San Diego yesterday on orders and was immediately ordered to fly home to avoid the hurricanes.

Elapsed time on the ground: 12 hours (midnight to noon)
Cost of trip: $1000+