Newly Enlightened
After research and recommendations,this is what I've come up with:

Fenix L1T v2.0 Q2,red lens adapter,white diffuser,red diffuser
Photon Proton Pro
Gerber Recon-M CPL
Streamlight Stylus
Glo-Toob, 11 mode 123A white with red transparent tape,if needed
Energizer Professional headlight,4 mode with 2 red leds

Any other recommendations or comments are appreciated.I have about a week to order more before I see my son. He'll be here around 9/20. Thanks.

Sarratt

Enlightened
Iraq ?

please move this to the right section.

I wish your son well and hope he is supplied but asking about if he is is not "General Flashlight"

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
Since I'm looking for suggestions on which flashlights of no particular type are helpful to anyone in a multitude of situations where do you think I should move to? I'm not looking for military/tactical advice,only gear that you "flashaholics" find useful when camping, hunting, fishing or diving.
Nothing on that list isn't anything that someone might have in a pocket or backpack. I don't want to take up anyone's time or space, but I would like to thank everyone that contributed to the items on the list.

Last edited:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Iraq ?

please move this to the right section.

I wish your son well and hope he is supplied but asking about if he is is not "General Flashlight"

The OP is trying to find flashlights for his son who has been (will be) deployed to Iraq - how is this NOT "general flashlight" discussion?

I can't speak to the other lights, but the glo-toob is an amazingly durable light and a great choice!! I have been using a green as a reading light and as far as durability, I have had two other glo-toobs on the collars of my dogs for the past 3 weeks - they have been mudded-up, submerged countless times, rolled around on and still look new!

Kudos to the OP for being a great father and best wishes to his son!

Last edited:

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is this not the right section? :thinking:

He get's free batteries right? Did you consider a high powered 2xCR123 light?

Is the Glo-toob a Lithium version or a smaller A23 type?

The Stylus uses AAAA batteries, no idea if he can find those easily. Did anyone give a particular reason for recommending this light?

Marduke

Flashaholic
One thing I would add is something to wear on a neck lanyard. Some people would be fine with a 1xAA light, but the biggest I would want is 1xAAA, and even that is pushing it. Personally, I find a coin cell the biggest that doesn't bother me (Photon Microlight or fauxton)

You can turn it on while you shower or get dressed (especially helpful if you're in a hurry), and it's your last resort backup if you loose everything else except what you are wearing.

Some lights worth considering IMO:
Fenix E01 GS or LOD Q4
Photon Freedom Microlight, either regular or covert (or infrared if he uses NV)
Arc AAA DS (expensive, but hangs straight)
Peak LED AAA lights (there are a number of them)
Gerber Infinity Ultra if 1xAA is small enough (also hangs straight)

I can't think of any more that are both affordable, reliable, quality, and uses fairly standard cells.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
A battery organizer - there is a thread on this board regarding the subject. A good organizer will help keep the batteries sorted and easily accessible on short notice.

+1 for the Peak/Arc suggestions: I'm a solid Arc fan, but Peak does put out quality lights. I own two myself, although I don't use them often.

Best of luck.

-Trevor

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always thought the incan Mag Solitaire as the perfect light for a soldier.

Small, lightweight, reliable, rugged, easy-to-find battery, good beam and dim enough not to attract snipers.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always thought the incan Mag Solitaire as the perfect light for a soldier.

Small, lightweight, reliable, rugged, easy-to-find battery, good beam and dim enough not to attract snipers.

A cigarette is enough light to attract snipers, and even the Soli puts out more light than that.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Glo Toob would be a great light for over there in the sand box.

Can we please keep this thread on track and try not to scare away new members.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think they were just giving you a slight ribbing :poke: Not making fun of you;)

BTW even with a "normal":devil: scope one would be able to see and target a person using a solitare from hundreds of meters away...

Very few things are dim enough to not attract snipers, especially ones with newer light amplifying scopes.

Dim red lights are usually best if you are going to use something.

Sverre

sappyg

Enlightened
+1 on the coin cell thing. i get a free one with every order from lighthound. the thing is brighter than my D-10 on low, light wieght in the extreme and easey to pack or even pin to a shirt etc. you can get 10 for $10.00 and it is money well spent.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
After research and recommendations,this is what I've come up with:

Fenix L1T v2.0 Q2,red lens adapter,white diffuser,red diffuser
Photon Proton Pro
Gerber Recon-M CPL
Streamlight Stylus
Glo-Toob, 11 mode 123A white with red transparent tape,if needed
Energizer Professional headlight,4 mode with 2 red leds

Any other recommendations or comments are appreciated.I have about a week to order more before I see my son. He'll be here around 9/20. Thanks.

What! No Surefire.:poke:

He could use one of these. Surefire UA2 Optimus Only problem, this is a pre-order.

I see that he will be home 9/20, too bad. He still could use one of these. :)

How about this?Helmet light

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Disagree by all means, but don't laugh at me. That's just rude.

In all honesty, I thought you were making a very good funny.

Against a pitch black setting, any almost any light source is enough to attract a sniper's notice - a lit cigarette, for example.

-Trevor