2 years with my Fenix L2T in my pocket...

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I purchased a Fenix L2T a little over two years ago, and have EDCed it almost every day since. I have many various LED lights similar to the L2T, more expensive Surefires, brighter Fenixes, and countless dealextreme 20,000 Lumen flashlights, yet the L2T has always won my pocket space. It was not my first nice flashlight, but it was the first one that felt good in my pocket, lasted all week on a single set of NiMH, and was perfectly bright or dim. The slim body fits perfectly next to my wallet, and it stays with the help of a clip I made for it a few weeks after I got it. I was once lost in the woods while hiking (we went to inspect a deep noise in the night and ended up walking over 6 miles, it turned out to be a hydro-electric dam) and without the Fenix that was always in my pocket, I would never had made it back that night. I use it many times each day at work, and sometimes you can have way too much light when you're looking into a small shiney hole, the low mode is great for this. It is second nature to pull it out of my rear pocket with my thumb on the clickie. The one bummer was the time when I put the batteries in backwards and blew the circuit board. Fenixstore.com sent me a used head for free and I soldered in a Seoul LED for a tiny increase in output, I don't want anymore though because the run ntime is excellent. For two years, probably 20 drops, countless clicks, hundreds of battery changes, and many excursions, the Fenix L2T is still my favorite.

To me, it's a modern classic, like the Benchmade Griptilian seen in the pictures. I'd have a hard time coming up with a better duo to have at work or in the outdoors.

DSC01990.jpg

DSC01995.jpg

DSC02000.jpg

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! It's a great feeling when you find a tool or a tool combo that just works so well for you that you're "scared" to be without it.

Nice work on the clip as well, I can see that making it alot easier to carry and stay put.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The slim body fits perfectly next to my wallet, and it stays with the help of a clip I made for it a few weeks after I got it.

Not sure if you EDC it in the rear pocket -- if you do, might want to reconsider that as it will misalign your spine and eventually cause back problems, heard from a chiropractor. I EDC L2D in the front pocket.

BBL

Enlightened
Since when does the griptilian come with D2 steel? Was this a recent change?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
Since when does the griptilian come with D2 steel? Was this a recent change?

The D2 versions are available through Cabela's only. They don't say Cabela's anywhere on them though. They've been out for a few years.

I do carry in my rear pocket, but it sits off to the side and I never actually sit on the flashlight. My brother EDC's the L2D CE and I've been tempted to switch to it a few times, but never have. I don't like all the modes, and the runntime is not as good. I actually feel like I don't need any more brightness than what I get with the L2T, even though I keep buying Q5 and R2 CREE flashlights!

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was once lost in the woods while hiking (we went to inspect a deep noise in the night and ended up walking over 6 miles, it turned out to be a hydro-electric dam)
Lol, good story! I love the clip.

Not sure if you EDC it in the rear pocket -- if you do, might want to reconsider that as it will misalign your spine and eventually cause back problems, heard from a chiropractor. I EDC L2D in the front pocket.
That does not sound good. I take it he means when you are sitting down the light will get in the way causing you to sit at an awkward angle or position?

Thanks

superflytnt

Enlightened
That's a sweet light for sure (nice knife too FTM)! The L1T/L2T's have always been among my favorite lights in the Fenix lineup. Yours looks nicely broken in and I see no reason to "upgrade" if she's still doing the job for you! It might be nice to see one with a Q5/R2 but I hope that they keep the levels the same and only help the runtime (which is already quite good) as the levels are just about right IMO...........................

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
:crackup::crackup::crackup:

ROFL.....Your not serious are you? I guess we better all stop carrying around wallets.

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
The pocket clip is spring steel shim stock. I annealed it, bent it, re-hardened it and screwed it to the flashlight via the the two lanyard holes (which happen to be the pilot drill size for a 4-40 screw!)

I've made clips for most of my lights via one means or another:
DSC01757.jpg

ForTrade.jpg

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
wait a min....it just occured to me...that u screwed teh screws to the flashlight it self? and its not a nut and bolt type?

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what you mean about finding a combo that just "works". For me it's D10 and SAK with whistle attached with 550 cord. Not pretty, but very useful.

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I tapped the actual body of the tailcap for a 4-40 thread. I used red locktite to ensure that the bolts never come out. Most Fenix flashlights have 2 pre-drilled holes for the lanyard that work quite nicely for this.

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
I tapped the actual body of the tailcap for a 4-40 thread. I used red locktite to ensure that the bolts never come out. Most Fenix flashlights have 2 pre-drilled holes for the lanyard that work quite nicely for this.

Thanks for the idea ... looks great. I've been thinking there must be a better way to carry my l2d-ce ...

LED Flashlights.

Enlightened

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

ROFL.....Your not serious are you? I guess we better all stop carrying around wallets.

He isn't lying.

It was discovered that many men who have had back problems were caused by sitting on a big wallet that makes their backs not straight.

Just think about it. You are sitting to one side.

So, carry it in your front pocket or just only have the important stuff in there so it's not as noticeable when you sit down on it.

Last edited: