Looking for a really bright LED light

300winmag

Enlightened
I've been doing all my research on HID lights, and now I want to
do some on LED lights. I'm looking for at least 500 lumens, don't really care how big it is. Also I am thinking about drop ins for the mag light but don't know about the quality and throw it would give... I like throoooow and a bit of spill. If anybody could drop some names it would be appreciated.

cyberindie

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a Wolf-Eyes Storm Q5 HO - 780 lumens.

It's a very, very bright light with very good throw and but also has reasonable side spill.

I've not had time to test it properly but I pointed it at a garden around 75m ( 250 foot ) away and it was like a flood light was shining on it!

I did some very rough comparisons with a INova T4 ( 2006 model ) and a new Fenix P3D Q5. Measures the beam at just under 7m ( 21 foot ) with a light meter:

Fenix - 78 lux on turbo ( 47 lux on high not turbo )
Wolf-Eyes Storm - 274 lux on high ( 58 lux on medium )
INova T4 - 41 lux

My reason for buying the Wolf-Eyes Storm was for walking the moors with my dog early in the morning ( dark nights are drawing in here.... ). So I wanted something with enough spill for walking and also good throw for spotting things at a long distance. The Wolf-Eyes is perfect for this.

I got mine at http://www.liotec.com/

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Most current gen LEDs top out at around 250 lumen(most are single die ones though). There are quad die ones like the Seoul P7 which are supposed to be able to hit 900 lumen at the LED(before losses).

Most of the single die LED lights seem to throw further then the Seoul P7 because the P7, with a larger emitting surface due to the 4 dies, creates a wider beam the the smaller emitting surface single die LED. But a larger reflector can solve that(same goes for the single die LEDs too).

For Maglite, check here.

For overall, this light seems interesting.

A Maglite mod with a larger 3 inch reflector would give more throw then the normal 2 inch reflector.