Help the new(dumb) guy........

kilrain

Newly Enlightened
I am in search of a new duty light. Here is my rather simple flashlight background. I started with a three D cell Maglight back in the early to mid-90s. Then, I was issued a Streamlight SL20X, which was a major upgrade at the time. They moved away from the Streamlight to the Magcharger, which I then used for about 10 years of so. They were simple and rugged but heavy and unwieldy. As an improvised impact device, it was a fine choice.

Then, a couple years ago, a trainee(new cop) came along with a Streamlight SL20XP-LED. At first I was hesitant since it was plastic but I soon recognized that so was my Glock, so who was I kidding. I tried it for a shift and loved it! The best parts were the dual lights, low power LEDs combined with a high(er) power center bulb for search work. The LEDs are indispensable for up close work like writing reports/tickets while holding the light under my arm. The bright(er) center bulb washes out the paper/forms when used in close. Also, the rubberized grip around the body of the light helped in securing it in the typical cop "armpit" hold, as did the lighter weight when compared with the Magcharger or SL20X. Bottom line, I still use the SL20XP-LED.

As a back up light/always on me light, I carry a Surefire E1L. It's my during the day light in case I run into a dark house or building and need a light right now. Not the best, but it does okay in a pinch. Also, on the Glock itself, is an ITI M3 that functions adequately.

Anyway, my department recently issued a bunch of Detectives the Pelican 7060 "LAPD" light. I was stunned at the brightness and realized that I needed to rethink my lighting equipment. I really liked the 7060 but it only has one setting, light saber bright. What I'm looking for is a light that is close to that size and brightness but with a "dim" mode for close work that is easily accessible. The light needs to be ultra reliable and relatively maintenance free since I am lazy by nature. Also, any suggestions for a smaller, always carry light, like the E1L, but brighter would be appreciated. Lastly, is there some kind of LED replacement for the bulb module in the M3? If not, can someone recommend a replacement light that doesn't cost $300?

Thanks in advance.

PS-It needs to be easily rechargeable, as in without having to take the battery/batteries out of the light to recharge them.

PPS-Thanks again!

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
You should get the Task Force 150 lumen "60X brighter" 2C LED flashlight $30 from Lowes. It is so powerful it is like having a spotlight in your hand, it illuminates objects 200 yards away in a dark area. Its beam is a perfect round bluish white circle of light. I have a 4D Maglite and the Task Force is many times brighter and more powerful than it and has at least twice as much throw. The Task Force is more like my 1 million candlepower spotlight in throw/brightness, yet SO small. The other amazing thing about the Task Force is that it will run for hours at full brightness. I have had the Task Force for at least a month and love it.

:welcome: And if you get the Task Force I think you will be really blown away and always have the brightest light around.:thumbsup:

kilrain

Newly Enlightened
You should get the Task Force 150 lumen "60X brighter" 2C LED flashlight $30 from Lowes. It is so powerful it is like having a spotlight in your hand, it illuminates objects 200 yards away in a dark area. Its beam is a perfect round bluish white circle of light. I have a 4D Maglite and the Task Force is many times brighter and more powerful than it and has at least twice as much throw. The Task Force is more like my 1 million candlepower spotlight in throw/brightness, yet SO small. The other amazing thing about the Task Force is that it will run for hours at full brightness. I have had the Task Force for at least a month and love it.

:welcome: And if you get the Task Force I think you will be really blown away and always have the brightest light around.:thumbsup:

It sounds awesome but in looking at it on the net, it doesn't have the "dimming" function I am looking for. I will still look at it though as a cheap, very bright light. Thank you for the suggestion.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
It sounds awesome but in looking at it on the net, it doesn't have the "dimming" function I am looking for. I will still look at it though as a cheap, very bright light. Thank you for the suggestion.

You're welcome. The build quality of it is surprisingly good for the price and it includes duracell batteries and a carry holster for your belt. It is always a great light to consider if you ever have a need for a simple light with extreme output.

Last edited:

superflytnt

Enlightened
Welcome! I haven't much experience with duty lights but you might want to give the Surefire E2DL a look: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24531/sesent/00

They just had a price increase over at SF so it might be a bit too expensive now but it's a great light all the same. It's small, rugged and uses a simple hi/lo switch setup that might work well for you. The beam is fairly narrow for excellent throw but it still has enough spill for up close work (I have the little brother E1B with same optic/beam, same low level but 80 vs. 120 lumen high). SF is conservative with their lumen ratings so this light is probably close to 140 lumens.

Good luck, I hope you find one that'll work for ya'...................

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Taskforce wasn't made to be a light for tactical use so I wouldn't recommend it.

The Fenix T series also look like a good option. Only 2 modes though. 4sevens.com also has the M20(4sevens is a member here who operated both Fenix Store and 4sevens)

Coupon at Fenix Store/4sevens is "CPF8"(8% off) and at Batteryjunction is "CPF2006"(I think it was 5% off).

Dereelight CL1H might be an option but changing modes is kinda linked to the on off switch(a quick on-off-on switches modes) so it might not be the best choice. It is easy to upgrade though.

:welcome:

kilrain

Newly Enlightened

The more I look at this light, the more I like it however I have some other questions, particularly about the batteries. According to the literature on the light, it needs a 2500mAh 18650 battery to function at it's highest rated potential. I found some rechargeable batteries and charger on the same page that seems to fit the bill:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/2600pcb-18650.html

On that battery page, there is this ominous warning:

[FONT=arial, helvetica]NOTE: Use special caution when working with Li-ion cells, they are very sensitive to charging characteristics and may explode or burn if mishandled. Make sure the user has enough knowledge of Li-Ion rechargeable batteries in charging, discharging and assembly before use. Always charge in/on a fire-proof surface. Never leave charging batteries unattended. We are not responsible for damage if there is any modification of the batteries/chargers in any form or shape (including pack making). We are not responsible for any damage caused by misuse or mishandling of Li-Ion batteries and chargers. We only recommend using Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries with a control circuit (protection PCB) to assure safe charge, discharge, etc, use of lithium ion batteries with a protection circuit is potentially hazardous

[/FONT]So, my question is, are these batteries and their charging system that dangerous? Or is this just a standard warning in case of freak accidents? My Magcharger and Streamlights have no such warning and are left on their respective charges all the time and unattended. Now I understand that it is a different type of battery technology but really, are these things little bombs waiting to go off?

:confused:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It's kinda both. There are rare occasions of Li-ion batteries venting but those are are usually with unprotected batteries and some silly/accident act from the owner. This has also happened to other batteries like NiMh(but those are with RC racers with very high charge currents and such, not usually recommended). Just use batteries from the better brands and don't punish the batteries and you should be fine. Most people recommend AW's batteries. He is also a member here.

IIRC the Maglite and Streamlight both use NiCD batteries.

Remember that the M20 doesn't have cradle charging. You'll have to remove the batteries to charge.

kilrain

Newly Enlightened
It's kinda both. There are rare occasions of Li-ion batteries venting but those are are usually with unprotected batteries and some silly/accident act from the owner. This has also happened to other batteries like NiMh(but those are with RC racers with very high charge currents and such, not usually recommended). Just use batteries from the better brands and don't punish the batteries and you should be fine. Most people recommend AW's batteries. He is also a member here.

IIRC the Maglite and Streamlight both use NiCD batteries.

Remember that the M20 doesn't have cradle charging. You'll have to remove the batteries to charge.

I see, it's kinda boilerplate for the numbnuts out there who do/try stupid stuff.

I noticed that it is not a cradle type charger but figured that perhaps I could buy a couple of batteries and only change them out as needed with freshly charged one always in reserve. Not the ideal situation but possibly workable.

I also don't care for the "twist the head" to change modes as opposed to being able to control the modes via the button, like the Novatac for instance. But life is a crap shoot followed compromise so I may have to settle. If Pelican would only make that 7060 with a 50% and 10% mode along with strobe, I'd scoop it up in a hurry............

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The main problem I see with multimode with memory is that the light can be saved on low mode the last time you use it, then suddenly you need it again but you turn it on and it is on low mode and not doing what you wanted it to do.

The Novatac is different because you can set it to turn on on max with the first click.