Quality

artec540

Enlightened
I'm new to this game and still doubtless have a lot to learn.
I've been much struck by the talk about the wonderful quality of Surefire lights. Well, I haven't any Surefire, so I'm not in a position to make comparisons but I've got two Tiablo A 9s, a Nitecore EX10, a Nitecore NEX, a Wolf-eyes Boxer 24W, a Raidfire Spear, a JilLite Eznite, an Ultrafire C3 and a Mag 3D.

I can hardly find anything wrong with any of them. The machining is high quality, they all have lubricated O-rings, the switches all work properly and they all seem to do exactly what they are supposed to do. I particularly like the EzNite for its elegant printing font and its less aggressive finish. My only beef, and it's not really even a veal, let alone a beef, is the tiny print size on the C3 and EX 10. I'm not crazy about the Mag because it's so big and clunky, but I knew that when I bought it, so that's my own fault, not its.

I'm not knocking the Surefires, but what is it about them that is so much better than any of my present aresenal?

Superdave

Enlightened
Buy a few and you will understand.

Different strokes for different folks

Agreed...

I've got 5 Surefires now, Before them i always had Maglites and misc plastic lights. I've spent alot more money on the car that spends 300 days a year in my garage.. atleast my lights get used. :whistle:

I personally like knowing that it'll work every time, and if it does break Surefire will be there to repair it.

Kind of the same reason people buy Zippo lighters. :D

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
...but what is it about them that is so much better than any of my present aresenal?

The company that stands behind the lights. The knowledge that they'll work when you need them to, and that they are the brand that "serious" professionals turn to when they need serious tools for the job. I could go on and on.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Lifetime of parts and warranty coverage against anything, that weighs heavily on my value scale. IMHO its as important as any physical element of the design.

Patriot

Flashaholic
There are so many things to consider and some of them can be considered subjective to the owner. The Jil Lite is obviously a precision light and could almost be considered a custom because it was made in such low numbers and probably has machining equal to the best lights ever made.

From my perspective the Raidfire, Ultrafire, and WE just don't compare well. They are usually heavy and have extra unnecessary extra mass. The machining isn't as precise or clean, the knurling is usually stamped by a press instead of cut, the finishes are usually more rough along with the thread and the electronic portions of these lights often seem micky mouse when they're disassembled. The EX10 seems to be a great light and maybe the differences are immediately appearent but as the others have said, purchase a couple of Surefire's, use and enjoy them and you'll see what we're talking about.

My opinions aren't law and should be considered as just opinion regarding the other lights. I realize that many fans of those lights won't agree, but sometimes those fans don't own Surefire's either.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire's are neat lights.... but unless you are into incans.... I would wait before buying any. I have had over 10 SF lights from the e2e to the M4. My M3 combat light was very impressive to me, if they made one with a Q5 led I would quickly buy another.... but I would not even think of trading my Raidfire spear.... or Fenix T1 for that matter for my old incan version.

The 6Pl and G2L are not nearly as impressive as the M series incan Surefire lights and while the Kroma and U2 are impressive lights... they are not bright by today's led standards.

I think the new 200 and 400 lumen SF lights would give you the cool SF pride of ownership and "not everyone else has one of these" that their M series lights gave me. Until they are released though..... I think you would be unimpressed.

By the way.... Great light collection!

Last edited:

cl0123

Enlightened
but what is it about them that is so much better than any of my present aresenal?

"so much better" is quite subjective. Quality is actually something that can be professionally and technically gauged. However, most of the time I think our minds are thinking more about the satisfaction we get over a certain tool or piece of gear.

I have quite a few Maglites myself. CPF taught me a lot about Surefire, Nitecore, Fenix, etc, which are all new to me. I like that fact the SF line is very modular making it easy to swap out the head, body, and the tail that even a layman, including yours truly, can "do" without fuss. Then, there are testimonies from fellow CPF'ers who are LEO or military, showcasing the toughness (another measure of quality) of the SF lights.

My backup gears will continue to include the "alkaline-ready" Mag-Mini and Mag D's. Alkaline AA and D cells are just so much more readily available than CR123's. However, I sure hope I'd never have to face a situation where my SF lights would actually run out of juice. Even then, my alkaline-ready mag lites will continue to provide lumens. :candle:

With Aloha,

Clarence

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here we go again :shakehead This topic has been done to death in the thread TigerHawkT3 linked to.

Regards,
Tempest

artec540

Enlightened
Here we go again :shakehead This topic has been done to death in the thread TigerHawkT3 linked to.

Regards,
Tempest

Sorry to bore you. If I had seen the thread you refer to, I probably wouldn't have asked the question. But I wanted more than just "You won't understand until you try one" and I got that from several thoughtful responses...... I don't want to name any names, but thanks to all who took the time to answer.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to bore you. If I had seen the thread you refer to, I probably wouldn't have asked the question. But I wanted more than just "You won't understand until you try one" and I got that from several thoughtful responses...... I don't want to name any names, but thanks to all who took the time to answer.

I know people often start these threads in good faith, but unfortunately they never end well.

Regards,
Tempest

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I'm not knocking the Surefires, but what is it about them that is so much better than any of my present aresenal?

I think being made in USA has a lot to do with it. If you've never held or played with a SF, I strongly urge to check one out. Be it a friends flashlight or down the local B&M, once you have done so then come back to this thread and you'll understand what the other posters are on about.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Surefire's are just better. Because I said.

lol, in all seriousness, it's the only brand I would put all bets on.

artec540

Enlightened
Surefire's are neat lights.... but unless you are into incans.... I would wait before buying any. I have had over 10 SF lights from the e2e to the M4. My M3 combat light was very impressive to me, if they made one with a Q5 led I would quickly buy another.... but I would not even think of trading my Raidfire spear.... or Fenix T1 for that matter for my old incan version.

The 6Pl and G2L are not nearly as impressive as the M series incan Surefire lights and while the Kroma and U2 are impressive lights... they are not bright by today's led standards.

I think the new 200 and 400 lumen SF lights would give you the cool SF pride of ownership and "not everyone else has one of these" that their M series lights gave me. Until they are released though..... I think you would be unimpressed.

By the way.... Great light collection!

Thanks for the response and the tip about the SF M series.....are they all incans? I'm in two minds about the Spear. It's too heavy and I think its design is kind of fussy, but it's just the right size and it sure chucks out some light!

I've had a browse through the SF website and I realize that much of what people apparently like about them isn't going to show there. I'm not really interested in incans and I don't see any of their LEDs that particularly interest me.

A couple of my LEDs (the Ultrafire C3 and the Nitecore NEX, forexample) I probably wouldn't have bought if I had been able to see them in the flesh first, so I guess "the flesh" is an important part of appreciating the SFs.

I'll have to find someone who sells them and go and fondle some!

artec540

Enlightened
The company that stands behind the lights. The knowledge that they'll work when you need them to, and that they are the brand that "serious" professionals turn to when they need serious tools for the job. I could go on and on.

I realize that there are professions that rely on their flashlights but I'd bet that there are just plenty of members of those professions that prefer, and swear by, other makes. So far, I haven't had to test the willingness of any companies to stand behind their products and everyone I have dealt with, in the US, in China, Hong Kong, Japan and Korea have all been very helpful and courteous. If some of their translations into English have been a bit peculiar, I can't criticize because apparently I can't even spell "arsenal" in my own language!

sawlight

Enlightened
Surefire's are just better. Because I said.

lol, in all seriousness, it's the only brand I would put all bets on.

I will dissagree here. I trust my Novatac completly, and have no reason to doubt that the RA lights wont be the same, though I doubt I will have one for a while.
I have a LumaPower M3 in my stormshelter, hows that for trust?
I have complete faith in my EO1's as well.
Now, for Surefire, I LOVE them!! I don't think anyone can call themselves a flashaholic without owning an E2E, it's size and beam are about as versitale as the get.
with Surefire the feel is RIGHT, the balance is RIGHT, the machining is RIGHT, the knurling is RIGHT, and they just plain work!!
But that is also just my opinion.

artec540

Enlightened
I think being made in USA has a lot to do with it. If you've never held or played with a SF, I strongly urge to check one out. Be it a friends flashlight or down the local B&M, once you have done so then come back to this thread and you'll understand what the other posters are on about.

Sorry, sureaddicted but what is a B&M? Even Google doesn't seem to know what I'm talking about!