Auto Pistol Lights

pobox1475

Enlightened
I recently found that Glock makes combo Xenon/laser lights for pistols. Anyone know how the quality is and if there are other manufactures that make them? My eyesight is no longer perfect and in the middle of the night I would like to be able to identify and hit if necessary threatening targets.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest the Streamlight TLR-2

I have one and feel the build quality is great, the laser is bright and the light itself is quite bright. It uses LED instead if a bulb that could fail on you. Of course all things are prone to fail, tbut the incandecent bulb is gauranteed to sooner or later. LEDs are MUCH more resistant to shock/recoil. Save up the extra money, when it comes to protection you simply can not put a price on that. You'd kick yourself in the *** if the light didn't work when you needed it most.

Something to think about

jchoo

Enlightened
Several manufacturers make pistol lights. Do you specifically want an integrated laser, or was that just what you saw? Off the top of my head, there's the Surefire X300 and X400 (with laser), Insight XTI Procyon, M6 (with laser), and X2L (Xenon with laser), and Streamlight TLR-1/TLR-2 (with laser). These are all LED lights and for the most part offer better runtime and output than the Xenon lights such as the Insight X2L and Glock lights. These lights range in price from right around $100 all the way up to about $400, so shop around and do some research.

Good luck!

pobox1475

Enlightened
the extra money, when it comes to protection you simply can not put a price on that
That is so true. "You buy cheap, you buy twice".
Do you specifically want an integrated laser
Yes.
These are all LED lights and for the most part offer better runtime and output
Then this is what I want. I have some time to get all info together. I'm in the process of selling my gen I 17 and will not be replacing it until the holidays or first quarter 09. I would like to get the best or next to it. Any idea what the top offering would be?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the Streamlight.

I'd go for the TLR-1 and skip the laser though. IMO, lasers on guns promote poor marksmanship. You're going to develop the bad habit of searching for the "dot" instead of focusing on the front sight where your eyes should be at.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently found that Glock makes combo Xenon/laser lights for pistols. Anyone know how the quality is and if there are other manufactures that make them? My eyesight is no longer perfect and in the middle of the night I would like to be able to identify and hit if necessary threatening targets.

Seems they are Glock style..heap durable and nothing special prformance wise...If I remember correctly they are rather weak for toay's standards. and you got to search replacement bulb availability...

there is a site that reviews flashlights and almost all the pistol lights but I forget the url....

stansbrew

Newly Enlightened
Surefire X-300!!!! Super and tough too. I put it in my nightstand attached to an XD 9mm. No laser just use the bright spot in the beam and you should b on target.:twothumbs

jchoo

Enlightened
I would like to get the best or next to it. Any idea what the top offering would be?

Depending on what you wish to spend and how you want to switch the light (fingertip switch or pressure pad), I would go with the Surefire X400, with the Streamlight TLR-2 slightly behind, followed by the Insight M6. This is all personal preference, of course - you would do well to find these lights in gun shops, etc. and handle them for yourself. I personally prefer the X400 for its TIR optic, which I believe is shared with the E2DL and E1B. Surefire also offers a tape switch as an accessory, letting you activate the light without shifting your grip. The Surefire and Streamlight lights are all aluminum, while the Insight is polymer. I would say that any of the three would do the job for a bedside or home defense pistol light, but for duty use, I'd definitely lean toward one of the metal lights.

Patriot

Flashaholic
It's true that lasers can develop some bad habits if you let them, but overall they can be a benefit especially to those with aging eyes.

Since the X400 isn't quite out yet, I'll vote the TRL-2 and the Insight M6X. Both are great, and the M6X is incan if you happen to prefer that.

cslinger

Enlightened
Just make sure whatever pistol you mount it on you actually take to the range and test it with it. Some pistols/ammo combinations can be finicky with a light. Just because it has a rail doesn't automatically mean it will function just fine with a light attached. This is more likely with tactical tupperware then steel guns.

Chris

Till

Newly Enlightened
Just wouldn't recommend GLOCK pistol lights.