D10 GD+ runtime question

loanshark

Enlightened
I'm wondering what the runtime of my D10 is at about 10 lumens running an eneloop... Anyone know or care to make a guess?

It seems I heard somewhere along the way the GD+ was more efficient than the Q5 at the lower settings. Any truth to that?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the GDP and Q5 are about the same efficiency. The D10 uses PWM, so the runtime increase at lower settings is linear. Runtime is 50m at 130L, so 10L should have a runtime of about ten hours.

loanshark

Enlightened
Well I pulled an eneloop off of the charger 2hours and 30 minutes ago, set the D10 at a level that looks the same or maybe a touch brighter than my E01 and maybe a touch less than my L1D Q5 on low. I don't have any other way to check, but it should be pretty close...

So I guess ~10~ lumen runtime test is underway... :rock:

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
If i remember right there was a fairly large variance in the VF of the GDP leds, this will result in a large difference light to light in the run time dept.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don`t have a offical runtime test of my own but my D10 GDP does not seem to have anywhere near the run time of my L1D q5. I set it on my nightstand on it`s lowest setting and it`s dead by morning. Two times. My L1D...even though it`s way brighter on it low setting makes it through the night...more like two nights.

Both are with some runtime before the night runs...so maybe I`m not being fair. But it seems to suck the juice much faster than the L1D.

That said...I love the D10`s fun factor. But I would pick the L1D over it for a power outage light.

superflytnt

Enlightened
I don`t have a offical runtime test of my own but my D10 GDP does not seem to have anywhere near the run time of my L1D q5. I set it on my nightstand on it`s lowest setting and it`s dead by morning. Two times. My L1D...even though it`s way brighter on it low setting makes it through the night...more like two nights.

Both are with some runtime before the night runs...so maybe I`m not being fair. But it seems to suck the juice much faster than the L1D.

That said...I love the D10`s fun factor. But I would pick the L1D over it for a power outage light.

It would seem that you rec'd a bad unit. Mine goes far longer than an overnighter, as does this one: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/206178
AFAIK, they use the same driver between GD and Cree don't they?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's impossible to compare 2 lights when you have some unknown prior use on the batts. Recharge and re do the night stand test.

Also both cree and GD will have varying Vf LED to LED, so comparing a large # of samples is the only way to really know if on average one has a longer run time than the other.

loanshark

Enlightened
Well we're 12 hours into the test. The light still looks to be 10 lumens when compared to the E01 and L1D Q5... I wonder if I end up falling asleep before the battery goes dead, will the eneloop get damaged? Should I shut it down and finish the test tomorrow?

Anyone care to take a guess on the runtime??

superflytnt

Enlightened
Well we're 12 hours into the test. The light still looks to be 10 lumens when compared to the E01 and L1D Q5... I wonder if I end up falling asleep before the battery goes dead, will the eneloop get damaged? Should I shut it down and finish the test tomorrow?

Anyone care to take a guess on the runtime??

Don't take this as the final answer but I do remember reading somewhere that the D10 circuit will not draw a NiMH down far enough to damage one. An unprotected 14500 is quite another story but IIRC it'll only take a NiMH down to about .9V...................................

EDIT: thanks unforgiven...............THAT'S where I read it LOL :D good timing as well.....................

loanshark

Enlightened
Well the test is done it started to dim right after my last post. So we'll call it ~12 hours @~10 lumens on a fresh eneloop. There was still a bit of juice left. Just for fun I tried to ramp it. The range was probably .25 - 2 lumens if I had to guess... I may try it again with a E2 lithium and an alky one of these days...

loanshark

Enlightened
Oh and when I put the eneloop on the charger it registered .92 volts. Does this mean it was below .9 volts while under load? Should I not run these all the way down in this light regularly, or am I worrying too much?