e01 from fenix store

unique

Enlightened
I'm thinking of getting MY second ever light. Its so funny how I actually got addicted to this hobby :crackup:

Reason I want an E01 is so I can put it on my keychain. Its the smallest fenix and ONLY $15.

Though is it worth it? I have a fenix TK10 and I'm hooked onto them because of the brightness and quality.

Is there anywhere I can get beamshots?
Is it heavy for example, if I put it in my pocket is it going to have that annoying feeling that I'm carrying something heavy?
Its 7cm long, will that even fit into side jean pockets?
Is it easy to turn the head from on and off? The TK10 you definitely need two hands to turn the head.

Other follow up questions to come, wont flood you guys with too much ATM. Sorry :)

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's very light. I carry it on a keyring that has 6 keys on it...I didn't notice any additional weight in my pocket.

As for light output, in a dark room, it illuminates surprisingly well for a 10 lumen light.

It's easy to turn on...one handed operation.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
See here for some beamshots https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199062

It is not heavy at all, it is easy to turn on and off with one hand not like the TK10.
Just be aware that it is NOT bright nor is it meant to be, its a light that runs very well of alkalines and stays well regulated.
It is a great little light - just not meant to be a blinder!

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
buy it! for only $15 you will own a light not available to the general public.
no it's not a Luxeon or a Cree, but it does work well. As small as it is and it's "light" appetitite for AAA cells make it a MUST carry light!

unique

Enlightened
Hmm, temptation might win this time. Thanks guys, I should make a purchase in a few weeks. Need money ATM. Had to pull out a very big loan..
If anyone else has stuff to say please do!

My main concern is that if the light output is good enough to use at least to find stuff outside, for example, its not just a 15 dollar light thats only good to find a keyhole to your front door.

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the EO1.

Great light for the price.

I bought one for me and 4 more for family members.

They all love them...

:wave:

unique

Enlightened
Yeah, might be great though again I go back to:
My main concern is that if the light output is good enough to use at least to find stuff outside, for example, its not just a 15 dollar light thats only good to find a keyhole to your front door.

Because for a salary like mine $15 is $15 and if I'm going to spend $15 on a light good for finding a keyhole or something I dropped on the floor near me I'm not sure it is worth it.

I could go buy a cheap $2 one and just use that!

And save the $15 for a more expensive light later on...

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you could check through the old CPF archive, you'd see that back in the day (03?) when the Arc AAA was state of the art, people were wowed by its utility and capabilities putting out a whole 3 lumens. They hiked around, found things, illuminated workspaces and all else. When the upgrade to 5 lumens came out, you'd think that the Arc AAA was good enough for mountain climbing and search and rescue based on some of the enthusiastic comments.

I often just carry a ~ 5 lumen Fenix E0 and it is a tiny but serious and useful tool covering 95% of what I need, so I would think the 10 Lumen E01 should do it for you just fine...

Last edited:

superflytnt

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, I did a bit of research as well and it seems like the complaints are about the blue tint and the disappointing light output...
I have one of these on my keychain ATM from DX, and they are surprisingly bright http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1253

The output should be pretty similar to one of these (if not a tad higher) with fresh batteries. Run them both for 15-20 minutes and the E01 will be brighter and will stay like that for 6-7 hours. This is plenty of output for most uses up to, say, 10 feet or so.

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened
I too was concerned with the tint and output, but after using the Eo1 it's far from disappointing. It is well made and does exactly what it is designed for. If you want something brighter get a Microstream.
2828611879_5f5d64fb0f_o.jpg

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
In terms of brightness it is not any brighter than your DX Fauxton light. The advantage is it uses standard AAA batteries. If you want a bright keychain light then the Fenix L0D is the one you should be looking at.

I don't own an EO1, since I have many Fauxton, and a couple Photon Freedoms, and an L0D as my keychain EDC. I've recently been enjoying the really small Streamlight Nano; button cell based but they are easily changeable makes for a nice zipper pull.

sawlight

Enlightened
In terms of brightness it is not any brighter than your DX Fauxton light. The advantage is it uses standard AAA batteries. If you want a bright keychain light then the Fenix L0D is the one you should be looking at.

I don't own an EO1, since I have many Fauxton, and a couple Photon Freedoms, and an L0D as my keychain EDC. I've recently been enjoying the really small Streamlight Nano; button cell based but they are easily changeable makes for a nice zipper pull.

That is exactly right!! Buy a Faxtoun from DX, or the little key light from LightHound: http://www.lighthound.com/Lighthound-Keychain-Flashlight-Black-Body-White-LED--NEW_p_15-967.html

Same beam, maybe a bit brighter, for a buck.

If that works, then pony up for the EO1, in a foolproof package.
I think it's plenty bright, the machining is second to none, and it WILL NOT get turned on accidently in youre pocket.
I disslike the blueish tint, it's a little stiff for one hand use and the anodizing hasn't held up as well as I had hoped.
It's a $17 light, that was built to compete with a $50 light, and does it nicely. I can't say it any better than that.

cheapma

Newly Enlightened
my gf always compare the EO1 in terms of brightness with the other flashlights i have.

Well, the STRONG and SELLING point of E01 is never about brightness. It is about 10 hours of full moon(full brightness 6 to 10 lumens) time and another 10 hours of half moon in high quality chasis.

I have many cheapie(thus my nick) US$3 1xAAA cos i have many keychain(??):shakehead . Not any beats E01 in terms of reliability and quality of build.

Tips: for people who have many keychains like me. Buy BULK (3 or more) from dealextreme for about US$10 each.

superflytnt

Enlightened
That is exactly right!! Buy a Faxtoun from DX, or the little key light from LightHound: http://www.lighthound.com/Lighthound-Keychain-Flashlight-Black-Body-White-LED--NEW_p_15-967.html

Same beam, maybe a bit brighter, for a buck.

If that works, then pony up for the EO1, in a foolproof package.
I think it's plenty bright, the machining is second to none, and it WILL NOT get turned on accidently in youre pocket.
I disslike the blueish tint, it's a little stiff for one hand use and the anodizing hasn't held up as well as I had hoped.
It's a $17 light, that was built to compete with a $50 light, and does it nicely. I can't say it any better than that.

Yeah, for about 5-10 minutes! I LOVE my Photon II but I swapped in a single 2032 battery in place of the 202016's that they come with. Constant-on runtime with the 2-2016's drops to about half within 20 minutes and just keeps dropping. Sure if you let it rest it'll recover but the E01 can maintain these levels for 6 hours +. The Photons are without peer if all that you need is a quick peak now and then but for emergencies they dim to near useless far too quickly with stock batteries. An AAA light is far more practical and for $15 you can have one of two great ones:

Streamlight Microstream: quite bright, perfect beam, great throw and decent runtimes

Fenix E01: decent brightness, decent floody beam and great runtimes

unique

Enlightened
thanks for the replys! that small lighthound light looks nice. do lighthound ship to australia? and how much if so.. thank you!!

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
It's worth the $15. On a moonless night, you'd be surprised how much of an open area the little thing will illuminate. Yes the tint is blue or purple. It's not designed for color rendition. Yes the beam pattern is oblong. There aren't many white walls outside.

Mine has been used and abused and it does it's job nicely. My ex-gf complained when i stuck an olive one on her keychain. The very next day, she had to pull it out to light up the underside of this dude's car that broke down. If you can do vehicle repair at night with it, it's bright enough.

If you care about the finish at all, I'll tell you that the anodizing on my black one is worn off on all the edges and high points of the knurling. My E01 rides next to my CountyComm mini-pry bar (unfinished steel) on my keychain every day in my side cargo pocket, which also holds a Zippo. It's purely a cosmetic issue though.

EDIT: Forgot to comment on the Fauxton.

They're cool for what they are, but the E01 blows it out of the water for illuminating a backyard or something. Plus, you're using inexpensive AAAs instead of those stupid coil cells. And I have no doubt I'll still be using my E01 in 10 years in one way or another. I couldn't say that about any fauxton.

Last edited:

Niconical

Enlightened
....do lighthound ship to australia? and how much if so.. thank you!!

Lighthound have a shipping estimator.
It can change as you add/remove from the cart.
It will (most likely) for Australia start at the standard flat rate internatinal envelope at about $15.
You can fit quite a few things in that.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
FWIW... I have a similar Gerber Tempo on my key-ring. Its also a 1AAA, and uses a Nichia emitter for a solid-regulated 6 hours of run followed by 2-3 more hours of candle light. Its rated at 7lumens and its surprising how useful it is. Its way more than just a key-hole finder. With night-dilated vision it will light up my inner courtyard, illuminate a large staircase, and just last night I woke at 3AM to use the facilities and it was TOO BRIGHT for my sleep-adjusted vision. The Gerber Tempo is a little less light than my 11 Lumen nite-ize 3LED minimag, but the Tempo is a LOT smaller, floodier and easier to carry. The little tail spring popped off the tailcap:(, so I'll be returning it to REI for another one. But I am really happy with this light thus far

I also have a couple of these...
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0275488

They are in the 10 Lumen ballpark, but have a tighter hot spot and run for several hours at least off 2000mah NiMH. Color tint varies greatly though, much more than the Nichia CS/GS, so its hit or miss in that regard. The two I have, one is VERY blue tint, while the other is much more white, and both have crappy click switches that can flicker at times. So... IMHO its the reliability factor that sets apart lights like the E01 and Infinity Ultra.

I'll be getting an E01 soon, and will do a more detailed comparison. But certainly lights like these and the microstream and infinity ultra are really GREAT to have around.

Last edited: