did any of your lights ever annoy you?

ozner1991

Enlightened
how unlikely as it might seem im sure some of you were annoyed by/not happy with something about your flashlight. what was it?

im just curius about stories :p

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Annoy is probably too strong of a word but here are some of mine...

Task Force - sharp/crude machining that digs into the skin.
Minimag - No anti-roll feature
501B - Cell rattle with 16mm diameter cells
Nite-ize 3-emitter drop in for minimag - Blue tint:eeew:

thats about it, overall I'm not too hard to please.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My strange 2AAA Gerber Mantis from a couple years ago has the kind of circuitry, perhaps regulated, that shuts it down suddenly when the battery voltage reaches some point. I was hoping for a long tail on the run.

Geoff

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the Kroll switch on my Arc LS failed. And when it's replacement failed a few weeks later...

Some of the early DX lights didn't light up below certain battery voltages where other lights would (mostly fixed on my later models, though).

sappyg

Enlightened
D10 has a blue tent to it. it works but, it does annoy me. also, these LED lights in general. i don't care much for the rings in the light or the tent. they are either too white or too blue........ always with the rings. i'm probably being too picky on this.3
here's another, i take issue with the strobe and SOS on my fenix P2D. :thumbsdow

wwglen

Enlightened
CMG Reactor -- Flaky switch, puke green

Rexlight -- Flaky interface bad flickering

Surefire L4 with two stage switch -- Dissapeared on kids field trip

ARC LS-P -- "Dissapeared at work"

The last two are why I won't spend more than $40 or so on a carry light.

wwglen

Tomcat!

Enlightened
Oh yes. When I was new to quality lights and started spending without thinking. At the time my first three good lights were a Gladius, E1e and an E2e. Then I bought an Inova XO (straight body) and hated it. The first thing I disliked was the momentary switch. It was very stiff and unresponsive. I had to push down hard to get it lit, and if you relaxed slightly the light would go off. My thumb would hurt after a while. I ended up using it as a twisty only. The amount of pressure required on the switch highlighted the second thing I hated, the slick body. There was no grip at all. When forcing the switch, the torch would slide through my grip. Aesthetically the XO looked good, but in use it was impractical, and gloves were a no-no. The hex body didn't even stop it rolling. Useless. It was also very long for a two cell light, considerably longer than the E2e, so it was not a good pocket carry. The beam was total spot and no spill at all, which wasn't very useful, especially compared to my other lights. The beam was really ugly too. A big collection of rings. There are only two positive things I can say about this light. One - it was very solidly built and looked like it could take a serious beating. Two - it totally out threw all of my other lights outdoors, and looked like a lightsabre in fog.

I was so dissatisfied with the XO that I eBayed it after 6 months. The guy who bought it was in mourning over the loss of his XO and happily snapped up mine. I'm glad I was able to make somebody's day.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumapower Incendio, very weak anodizing and the non removable clip. This light would be fantastic with an olive type III finish and no clip. It would just disappear in a pocket. What a shame.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
i recently purchased an iTP C9 over at the marketplace, its a really good light and the tint and beam are perfect but the strobe and SOS modes really get in the way, i only found this out when i actually started to use it, ie. not just playing in my room with it, 5 seconds you have to wait after switching it off before it resets so it doesnt come back on flashing like mad, i gave my bro my P3D because of the strobe feature.

Bobpuvel

Enlightened
My NiteCore EX10's UI...

- the button is unusually hard to press...
- the light intesities are kind of hard to find(i hardly ever use the ramp mechanism because of it)
-The stainless steel bezel doesn't screw down all the way...

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
For starters, my Fenix P2D's flash to high everytime I turn it on. It makes it take longer to adjust my eyes when using low. The plastic in my PT Quad headlights keeps cracking. Why can't they use better plastic? They did everything else right. The l.e.d.s in my Streamlight Propolymer light (7 l.e.d.) popped out one by one like popcorn. I threw it out. The lousy contacts on my CC Expedition (scratching the circuit board and crushing the + battery ends to make contact) failed when repeated use wore out the circuit board (this was the first light I ever spent $60 on). Same thing happened with my CC Trek light (3AA 2 l.e.d.). The cap to the battery case broke off of my PT Matrix headlight. My first l.e.d. headlight I got from Kmart years ago has a lousy design. Not only do you have to cycle through all three settings to turn the light off, but the circuit has to have some power to turn off. It cycles through two l.e.d.s, three l.e.d.s, then the xenon bulb before going off. If the batteries are half dead and you want to turn it off to save the power for later, tough luck. When you cycle through to the xenon bulb, it quickly drains the batteries leaving the circuit without enough power to turn the light off and the batteries get quickly drained by the bulb. The headlight still works, and I still have it, but it became useless shortly after I bought it.
Many of these lights I got rid of because of these annoyances, especially the annoyances that left them nonfunctional.

generic808

Enlightened
Fenix T1 and its pocket clip always rubbing the body of the flashlight. It has wear marks from twisting the head to turbo mode. Very bad design flaw in my opinion :thumbsdow Only Surefire's for me! :twothumbs

superflytnt

Enlightened
For starters, my Fenix P2D's flash to high everytime I turn it on. It makes it take longer to adjust my eyes when using low. quote]

Just do like I do with my SF E1B, point it at your leg while you cycle to low :)

I am annoyed by any twisty light that doesn't use a spring on the - end. Most of 'em have the battery rattle while off and most of 'em crush batteries when you tighten it to get rid of that flickering.................

Other than that, I've had a couple of click switches fail on me but really only one light that I despised (second mention on this thread) and it's the CMG Reactor. This was my first Luxeon light and, while the beam was decent, the tint was WAY GREEN! The switch was horribly designed and flickered every time you used it and the runtime (on the 2-AA) wasn't at all impressive. I tried to open that one to mod it somehow and ended up getting so frustrated that I smashed the living **** out of the thing. I felt better............................

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SL Twin Task 1...Led/Incan/Led/off=ANNOYING!!! Now it's gathering dust...I wish it would have said something about that on the package...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Fenix P1D ... a twsity doesn't work well with multi-mode interfaces, at last not for me.

SF E1B ... on low batteries. It works ... but won't obey my commands like I would want it to.

bernie