Is Gerber Infinity Ultra Obsolete?

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
I've read a lot of threads on this light and most seem to be positive. Lots of light and long life for about $15.00. Is this the best for the price or what's a better deal? I plan on using them as party favors.

superflytnt

Enlightened
If it were me I'd go with the Fenix E01 instead. A bit more output and nearly the same (bright) runtime only in a much smaller AAA size and for the same $$. IIRC, you'll get 6-7 hours of bright light out of an E01 before it starts to dim and about 8 from an IU. The E01 is so much smaller, though, that there is a better chance of having it on you when needed. Just my 2c

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about "obsolete" but they are reliable and functional for most casual applications and can be relatively easily obtained locally.

Comparable models usually have to be ordered online which can be a little aggravating if you're not a forward planner.

Really, as a party favor, it's not a bad light and can still be quite useful - as far as your guests are concerned, it's a free light. :D

-Trevor

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are not obsolete because they are good lights for lower light purposes, they are not that bright. I actually like that they are AA, and not AAA as there are many options in the AAA format.

I like the GEU in Red as well, again because it is decent and AA format cell.

For a lower priced AAA light I would recomend the Streamlight Microstream. The forward clicky makes it very easy to use and it is very bright compared to a Gerber or E01. Good looking light too.

I think a better party Favor though might be the Streamlight Nano-Light. Fun, very small, very cool, and have more of a party flavor to them. They can be gotten local quite cheaply, Lighthound for one has them at a great price. The downside is they use 3 button cells... but hey it's a party!!

You could go for a tri-color Photon, but I'm not sure where to get those right now... they say "PARTY" as they cycle through their colors.

Party On!

Marduke

Flashaholic
A fauxton might make a better party favor, and you can get them in all sorts of colors, even rainbow. The white ones are much more likely to be put on keychains and used after the party. Cheap too at 47 cents each.

gunga

Flashaholic
I used fauxtons as party favours last year. It was a big hit and rides on many a keychain. That and $5 for 10 is great.

What kind of party is it and can I come if your giving out Gerbers/Fenixes?

:naughty:

That's my kind of party...

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
Since I've already done knives, I thought I'd do flashlights this year. Knives are more subjective and lights are more objective. It's harder to quantify steel than lumens. Steel seems to be more geometry and physical properties, whereas lighting has more concerns about duration and output

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I would call it obsolete, maybe outdated. As long as it is useful and durable to a good number of people, it is a light that is not obsolete.

superflytnt

Enlightened
They are not obsolete because they are good lights for lower light purposes, they are not that bright. I actually like that they are AA, and not AAA as there are many options in the AAA format.

I like the GEU in Red as well, again because it is decent and AA format cell.

For a lower priced AAA light I would recomend the Streamlight Microstream. The forward clicky makes it very easy to use and it is very bright compared to a Gerber or E01. Good looking light too.

I think a better party Favor though might be the Streamlight Nano-Light. Fun, very small, very cool, and have more of a party flavor to them. They can be gotten local quite cheaply, Lighthound for one has them at a great price. The downside is they use 3 button cells... but hey it's a party!!

You could go for a tri-color Photon, but I'm not sure where to get those right now... they say "PARTY" as they cycle through their colors.

Party On!

That is another excellent choice. Most non-flashaholics will be floored by this light. Photons are good lights for a backup but the runtimes are rather short when used for any length of time constant-on. I'd stick with an AAA light because they are at the size limit of what most "normal" people will actually carry with them and yet give pretty good runtimes for most uses. For $15 you can choose between the higher output Microstream with it's perfect beam and great throw or the lower output E01 with it's long runtimes and softer flood-type beam. Both great lights and great gifts................

The Gerber Infinity Ultra is so good I'm thinking about sending my 2-stage Surefire E1L to milkyspit to copy its beam pattern. It is probably the most useful light I personally own.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, the Fenix E01 would be more appreciated than the GUI since it's more pocketable/keychain friendly and most non-flashaholics would be impressed by the brightness of such a little light.

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
What happened to CFR Lights? I tried to buy a bunch of lights and it won't let me checkout. Something about not being not secure.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
The Gerber Infinity Ultra is so good I'm thinking about sending my 2-stage Surefire E1L to milkyspit to copy its beam pattern. It is probably the most useful light I personally own.

totally agree, i too love the beam pattern very much. i have reflective tape on the conical side of the light to maximise light put out by the bulb. the result is a slightly brighter & wider hotspot (if it has 1?:thinking:).

the only other light with similiar beam pattern is the Gerber LX1 with about 10 hour runtime on alkalines. but the tint is green. :duh2: & rather huge for the lumen put out...

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
on a side note, i noticed the bulb is not sealed watertight to the metal housing. i did a dunk test in a pail of water, water did get in, but the light still works weeks after. is that a cause for concern? :shrug:

Last edited:

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a bunch of the old Infinity Ultra-G's stashed around the house and in emergency kits. My 4 year old daughter has also claimed one as her own personal flashlight. Until someone comes out with another durable, simple, single-stage 1xAA LED light with similar output, but with 2x the runtime for under $20, they will not be obsolete. I haven't tried any of the newer Gerber versions of the IU, but from what I've seen, I haven't been as impressed as with my older IUG's.

BillG

Newly Enlightened
Not at all. it's one of my favorite lights. right now it's on a lanyard on my range bag.
i have the ultra G model. its bulletproof.

another model NOT obsolete is my Eternalight. one in my go bag and one hanging in the bathroom in case of a power outage. older lights are just as useful as they were when i bought them.

on me right now is an Olight T20 Q5. in a couple of years...that too wont be obsolete.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have had the smaller Gerber tempo (AAA, Nichia-CS) for the past week and WOW, what a useful little gem. It has replaced my nite-ize 3LED minimag as my around the house bathroom runner. To my surprise, it has a lot of yellow to its tint, and the only really blue part is the center. So that yellow flood is VERY useful, and despite being 2-3 Lumens dimmer than my nite-ize mag I find it better at illuminating objects. I don't think its better value-wise than either the E01, microstream, or infinity ultra. Those lights seem to be more durable and slightly more robust. But still.. if you are contemplating the usefulness and value of lights like these, IMHO they really do offer a LOT for the $$$.

superflytnt

Enlightened
totally agree, i too love the beam pattern very much. i have reflective tape on the conical side of the light to maximise light put out by the bulb. the result is a slightly brighter & wider hotspot (if it has 1?:thinking:).

the only other light with similiar beam pattern is the Gerber LX1 with about 10 hour runtime on alkalines. but the tint is green. :duh2: & rather huge for the lumen put out...

Isn't it roughly the same beam pattern as most other single Nichia 5mm based lights or am I missing something. My older CMG Infinity was just a regular ol' 5mm with the same beam pattern as my Photon (although a bit more narrow since it's recessed).

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
my Inova Microlight's beam isn't that smooth, i think the translucent housing could be effecting the beam. the Micro has a visible ring to it.

i too have some other toys using 5mm LEDs with ringy beams... :sick2: maybe Nichia rejects sold off cheap?