Best EDC with...

Jager

Newly Enlightened
Well, I am looking for the most straight foward EDC. I have a few things that the light must have though ...

• Run on only (1) AAA, AA or 123 battery
  • Must be over 100 lumen
  • Must have click tail cap
  • Must have pocket clip
  • Smaller the better
I cant seem the locate the best light with my above requests. I was looking at the nitecore's but dont know if this is the best suited for the above. Please post recommendations!

I have a Wee NS for the keychain, a M20 premium for the car (on the way), and now im looking for a EDC. Thanks! :wave:

Last edited:

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
Novatac 120P. There are smaller lights like the Nitecore EX10 but it won't take a beating like the Novatac. The Novatac also has many programing options. It's a pretty sweet light..

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Novatac 120P. There are smaller lights like the Nitecore EX10 but it won't take a beating like the Novatac. The Novatac also has many programing options. It's a pretty sweet light..

+1 ..... cant go wrong with a Novatac

Jager

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. The novatec looks a little out of budget right now :( The other two lights look promising but I am going to hold out for a few more replies so I dont impulse buy :laughing:

Anyway, is this the EX10?

Where can I find the clip for that light?

Also, any reason to go with the EX10 over the D10 if I were to chose a nitecore? I rather have a thinner light than a shorter thicker one because the light will most lightly be clipped in my back pocket (so i might have to sit on it every once in a while)

Last edited:

Photon Joe

Newly Enlightened
Well the click is just below the head,not on the tail but otherwise you would probably love a proton pro.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The clip for the NiteCore PD's is going to be offered as an accessory shortly. The D10 gives more battery choices, from alkaline, NiMH, L91, to 14500 Li-Ion for maximum brightness.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Surefire E1B? It seems to fit your description and while Surefire says its 80 lumens, I've seen tests by other forum members stating that it's probably closer to 100 lumens. I absolutely love mine and love the TIR optics.

Here is a review I did of mine on CPF:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/193102
...and my review of it on my blog:
E1B Surefire LED Review

Best of luck in your search!

Robert

kromeke

Enlightened
Lighthound still has the Novatac 85P for $99

I don't think you'd notice much difference between 85 and 100 lumens.

Nice light, I have one myself. A little cheaper than the 120P.

Last edited:

Jager

Newly Enlightened
ok guys, after much debate i think that the lights might be a bit too big for me to EDC (even though they are quite small :shakehead )

what are some of the smallest lights with a pocket clip? i was looking at the liteflux but i am not liking the reviews, run time, or price. the real small fenix is only 10 lumens which is a waste of pocket time IMO. anyting else out there?

nathan310

Newly Enlightened
Fenix P2D Q5

No clip but it has a belt holster.

Utilizes a Premium (Q5) Cree 7090 XR-E LED with a life of 50,000 hours
• Two modes (6 types) of output, generation/turbo selected by turning the bezel (patented)
• General Mode: 12 lumens (30hrs) -> 55 lumens (5.5hrs) -> 107 lumens (2hrs) -> SOS
• Turbo Mode: 180 lumens (1hrs) -> Strobe
• Digitally Regulated for Constant Brightness
• Uses one 3V CR123A battery (Lithium)
• 8cm (Length) x 2.1cm (Diameter)
• Made of aircraft grade aluminum
• Durable Type III hard anodized finish
• 38-gram weight (excluding batteries)
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
• Toughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating
• Push-button tail cap switch
• Capable of standing up securely on a flat surface to serve as a candle
• Includes a holster, lanyard, two spare o-rings, and a rubber switch boot

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix L0D Q4 comes with a pocket clip and is tiny.

But the best set of features and size is the nitecore D10 imho.

yalskey

Enlightened
ok guys, after much debate i think that the lights might be a bit too big for me to EDC (even though they are quite small :shakehead )

what are some of the smallest lights with a pocket clip? i was looking at the liteflux but i am not liking the reviews, run time, or price. the real small fenix is only 10 lumens which is a waste of pocket time IMO. anyting else out there?

Jager, did you check out those Lumapower lights I linked to in post number 5?

They are vey small (especially the incendio), and would otherwise meet all the other requirements you specified on your list.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. The novatec looks a little out of budget right now :(

Did you state a budget limit? I didn't see that in your original criteria... :p

the real small fenix is only 10 lumens which is a waste of pocket time IMO. anyting else out there?

If you're considering a really small Fenix that comes close to your 100 lumen need, you weren't looking at the right one. You're describing the E01 at 10 lumens when you might want to take a closer look at the L0D (another single AAA flashlight) with multiple settings up to 75 lumens. The L0D packs a lot of punch for a single AAA flashlight and is very small and very easily carried in the pocket (with a pocket clip, too, if you need it). No clickie tailcap, though.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
LOD Q4 is the smallest brightest with a clip. The clip can even go on both ways (bezel up or down carry)

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... if you want small with Clicky... then Streamlight Microstream... but I doubt it meats your 100Lumen requirement. I think you now have a conflict between the size and the output requirement.

superflytnt

Enlightened
Hmmm... if you want small with Clicky... then Streamlight Microstream... but I doubt it meats your 100Lumen requirement. I think you now have a conflict between the size and the output requirement.

You CAN put the LOD head on a Microstream body for a clicky/clipped LOD but I found my stock MS to be better so kept it as-is. The MS has retired my LOD (which I gave it to a relative). You have to run the LOD on high to get near the throw of a MS and it goes through batt's pretty quick on high (although it is brighter overall). The LOD does have longer runtimes on low but the MS on a lithium gets fairly close. Great light!

Here are runtimes for MS: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/183590 they don't show runtimes for NiMH's but I get about 2:40

and LOD: http://lights.chevrofreak.com/runtimes/Fenix L0D CE/

Last edited:

Jager

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the help, I am super picky and change my mind often so i know i can be in the pain :duh2:

Anyway, I decided to go with the Streamlight Microstream. Reason? the click feature and pocket clip are what I really need (plus the price is super attractive). I figure, if i carry this light without any problems i'll buy another possibly bigger one in the very near future. It will most likely be between the Nitecore EX10 with a clip (when it comes out shortly) or the Lumapower incendio.

Once again thanks for all the help, I look foward to trying this light out along with my other lights enroute :twothumbs