M60L drop-in for 6P

CB123

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking about purchasing a dereelight upgrade for my SF 6P (probably the 5A-Q2), and am trying to decide between getting the multi-input and using the RCR123's I already have, or the single input and just buying some 18650's and a charger. What, if any, are the advantages of the 18650's? more output? longer runtime? The 18650's and charger seem pretty inexpensive, so it's not that big a deal. On the other hand, the flexibility of the multi-input model might come in handy though.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

UlrikJ

Newly Enlightened
Re: dereelight drop-ins

I've just bought a Dereelight CL1H V4 last week with 3SD Q5. I'm happy that it is a 3SD because low mode is good when im under my table fixing my computer lol :) Turbo (100%) and primary mode are also nice. Turbo is great outdoor at night!

P.S. :welcome:

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've just bought a Dereelight CL1H V4 last week with 3SD Q5. I'm happy that it is a 3SD because low mode is good when im under my table fixing my computer lol :) Turbo (100%) and primary mode are also nice. Turbo is great outdoor at night!

P.S. :welcome:

How do you find the colors of the electrical cables in your computer using the Q5 light? Are they the same color as under daylight?

CB123

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, guys. I may have unclear about what I was asking; the wording was a little confusing. I am curious about the difference in performance between the 2xRCR123's and the 18650's and how would the 18650's work in the module that will accept both?
Thanks again!

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

One thing you might want to note is that an 18650 will not fit in a 6P unless you get the inside machined to a wider diameter.

A 17670 will fit, though. Not too much benefit with a 17670. The capacity of a rechargeable RCR123 is around 750mAh, a 17670 is about 1500mAh (double), and an 18650 is more than 2000mAh.

Running two RCR's doesn't really double the capacity, it does, but indirectly..

Try reading up a bit more... there's an entire battery section.

matt0

Enlightened

A stock SureFire 6P won't accept 18650 cells.

Using AW's battery specs, an RCR123 has 750mAH and an 18650 has 2200mAh.

3.7V x 0.75Ah = 2.775Wh for a single RCR123. Two RCR's would give 5.55Wh.

3.7V x 2.20Ah = 8.140Wh for an 18650 cell.

Using an 18650 gives you an (approximate) 46% increase in energy. (I think?)

I'm still a Li-Ion n00b and I'm unsure if the full 8.14Wh is usable without hurting the cell.

UlrikJ

Newly Enlightened

How do you find the colors of the electrical cables in your computer using the Q5 light? Are they the same color as under daylight?

Fine. I see no change. No big deal there.

Last edited:

CB123

Newly Enlightened

:oops: Thanks a lot. I'm glad I asked before I bought the 18650's. I don't remember now where I got the idea that they would fit. Is this true of all 2xcr123 lights ?
Also, are the Malkoff drop-ins a lot better than the Dereelight drop-ins?

UlrikJ

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, guys. I may have unclear about what I was asking; the wording was a little confusing. I am curious about the difference in performance between the 2xRCR123's and the 18650's and how would the 18650's work in the module that will accept both?
Thanks again!

I cannot comment on 2xRXR123. But because mine is the 3SD version it uses 18650's. Dereelights writes for 3SD: "constant output at it's fully input range". To a good beam is guaranteed.

And because the 18650's is rechargeable I think it is the best solution.

matt0

Enlightened

:oops: Thanks a lot. I'm glad I asked before I bought the 18650's. I don't remember now where I got the idea that they would fit. Is this true of all 2xcr123 lights ?
Also, are the Malkoff drop-ins a lot better than the Dereelight drop-ins?

Several 2xCR123 lights will accept an 18650 cell. SureFire's, unfortunately will not. There are aftermarket bodies you can buy to replace the stock 6P body that will allow the use of an 18650. There are also people who can bore out the body so you can fit an 18650 in there.

I have a Malkoff M60LL and a DereeLight 1SM-2. The Deree has a much wider input range and is MUCH brighter than the M60LL but the M60LL has a much better tint/beam characteristics (IMO). I haven't had the pleasure of using a full-power M60 yet so I can't say how the difference compare there.

The Malkoff has a much better build quality. Both have been very reliable and I haven't had any problems.

CB123

Newly Enlightened

:twothumbs Wow! Talk about awesome customer service. I decided to go with the Malkoff drop-in and ordered it friday evening; it was in my mailbox monday morning! I got the m60L because it was the only one in stock at the time (I'm not very patient), but I'm not the least bit sorry. It looks like it may be slightly more efficient with an extra 3 hrs runtime and only @95 lumens less(per the website) and seems a good balance between the two.
I still plan to get an M60 later on, but am very happy with this. Brighter,tighter,more uniform beam than the original P60 incand bulb and 3.5 hrs longer runtime. That's hard to beat!

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
to use an 18650 how much material needs to be machined out?

dougie

Enlightened
Whilst removing metal from the inside of the battery tube may or may not be possible you'll also remove the Allodyne surface which is used for preventing premature corrosion of the aluminum. If the body was a cheap knock off I guess it wouldn't be any problem but as the cost of the Surefire isn't cheap and is so well made is it really worth it?:mecry:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before you waste money on doing any machining to a perfectly good flashlight body, get the 17650 battery and see how you like the output level and runtime. The 17650 lithium ion rechargeable is a good battery, it is much better than those stinky little RCR123's which I find never deliver their full run performance. You won't have to modify anything, they are readily available at various online stores that sell the 18650 such as Lighthound.com. The same chargers that charge the 18650 charge the 17650, its a useful battery and not expensive so its a cheap experiment to see how you like it. do that before you make irreversible modifications to the flashlight.

CB123

Newly Enlightened
Is it one with engraving on the side, or a new one. The new ones have a sticker and come in a plastic wallhanger box.
It has the sticker, but no plastic box. It came in a cushioned envelope wrapped in more bubble-wrap inside a cardboard box.