Maglite head wobble, how to fix?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a number of Mag mods both LED and incan and one thing that bothers me about all of them is the slop in the threads where the head and the body mate. On the LED versions I've tried to wrap a thin strip of tissue around the treads then put the head on. It's worked OK on most because the amount of heat generated isn't enough to smoke the paper.

On incans where getting the bulb/reflector focus is more critical and the heat is higher I can't use the same technique. I just stuck some plumbers thread tape on a light to test it but I don't know what kind of heat it can take before smoking. With other lights anything that has smoked while using the light has coated the lens and the reflector with stuff that isn't always easy to remove.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to get rid of head wobble that would work for both LED and incans? I'm looking for something that would be simple to implement so that I could still remove the head easily to either replace the bulb or do other work on the light.

TIA,
-LT

Marduke

Flashaholic
Using a cammed reflector, you can "tune" the head so the reflector is oriented in such a way that when fully tightened down, it's at the optimum focal point. It takes a little fiddling, but it's worth it.

Teflon plumbers tape is good for at least 100 C, maybe more.

Newly Enlightened
In the past, I've used teflon tape to eliminate play between the barrel threads and muzzle device of my AK-74 clone.

It worked very well, even after getting really hot during extended shooting. The heat generated by a maglite should faze it.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might try taking up the slack with the o-ring area instead of the threads. A slightly thicker o-ring works well if you can find one, but that can be difficult. You can also use teflon tape to "fill up" the groove the o-ring sits in and tighten it up that way. But if you do, just be careful when you put the head on that you don't push the o-ring out of the groove.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thread tape I'm using now doesn't say "Teflon" on it so I don't know if it is. I took a piece and put it on foil then heated it with a lighter. I'm sure that was higher than my lights will ever get but though it didn't char it did give off some smoke. Time will tell how this stuff works but in the mean time I'm still searching.

-LT

Shore08

Newly Enlightened
I think teflon tape is a generic descriptor, like Kleenex or Q-Tip. Usually what is referred to as teflon tape comes from a round dispenser that comes apart into two pieces. One piece is either usually blue or red, and the other piece is white. You get it for like $0.79 at the hardware store.

images

Correct me if I'm wrong guys...

greenLED

Flashaholic
That's been my experience as well Shore. Furthermore, I've never seen it (the tape) in any other colors other than white. When you go to tear it into pieces, it stretches quite a bit and feels kinda slippery.

allthumbs

Newly Enlightened
They also make teflon tape in pink and yellow the color designates thickness and useage, water lines, gas lines. White seems to be the thinnest. Generally found in the plumbing department.