Dereelight C2H EDC Poll

Do you prefer a memory mode for the new Dereelight C2H?

• Total voters

CanadianEh

Newly Enlightened
This post is being created at the request of Alan/Dereelight.

I emailed Alan with a request that the new C2H EDC light have a lower low than the current 3SD pill. Alan has kindly agreed to this request. :D
His suggestion is a new 4SD pill. The current 3SD + a lower low.

I also suggested that the C2H have no memory mode, and always start on low. Since there are many opinions on this I suggested a customer preference poll, and Alan asked me to create one. So which would you prefer for the new Dereelight C2H?

DArklite

Enlightened
Well, I think he should take note of iTP Light's intuitive continuously-variable ramping system. It will start back up at the level you turned it off previously. I have their C9 (single CR/RCR123) and Alan will have to at least match that type of system for me to be interested.
That being said, I am a huge fan of Dereelight and it's upgradeability; I have the CL1H v3 with various pills/emitters/reflectors and just (finally) ordered a DBS v2.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Memory is fine. The major problem with memory is having to cycle through those annoying strobe & SOS modes which is not a problem with the 3Sx pills.

If Alan offers a a low - medium - high no memory he will have to offer a high -medium - low for the brightness freaks. And maybe a medium - low - high for compatibility with the Fenix L0D. Too many models for a small manufacturer.

Instead of 4 levels maybe stay with 3 and spread them out more. I hate clicking through levels.
Instead of 100% - 50% - 10% maybe 100% - 30% - 5 lumens.
The problem with the low is manufacturers do not adjust the drive level down when they change to a more efficient LED.
So the L0P SE low us fine, the L0D CE is 2X brighter, the L0D Q4 is 3X brighter which is too bright for a low.
Similarly Arc AAA has gone from 3 lumens to 12 lumens. I am now patiently waiting for Millermods to get around to building me a 2 level Arc.

Be careful what you ask for.
Zebralight has a nice light in the H50. Then they tried to accommodate all CPF's wishes in the H30 and ended up with a non-functioning UI.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think switching between rechargeable and primary batteries (and back again) should be automatic. None of this user break a wire nonsense.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've personally never been happy with "memory" implementations. I do see that for some people who use their light alot during the day for a specific task that it can be very useful.

I would like to see a new UI if memory is used. From off there needs to be a way to go to ON, and a way to go to Memory-Level. When starting at ON, the memory-level should not be affected (non of this 2 seconds and that is your memory).

Evil Twin

Newly Enlightened
I mostly use the high mode of a light if it has multiple stages, but there are some times when having less light can be more useful. That being said, since I use max brightness about 90% of the time, having to cycle through all the stages 9 out of 10 times I turn on the light would become very annoying rather quickly.

Memory mode for me please. ;)

clintb

Enlightened
Low - medium - high, and no memory for me. For an EDC to come on in high just kills it for me. Most of my use of an EDC is for when I'm up in the middle of the night and don't want to disturb anyone that's already sleeping, which means low.

No memory
Come on in low
Low should be very low, sub 1 lumen.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like the Hi-Med-Low or Low-Med-High sequence could be solved with a jumper, or a one time complicated programming switch sequence. I don't think Memory is a solution to this problem, unless you only use 1 level.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've personally never been happy with "memory" implementations. I do see that for some people who use their light alot during the day for a specific task that it can be very useful.

I would like to see a new UI if memory is used. From off there needs to be a way to go to ON, and a way to go to Memory-Level. When starting at ON, the memory-level should not be affected (non of this 2 seconds and that is your memory).
Surefire have a nice UI in the U2 - rotate the ring for levels, switch is strictly for on off. Fairly complicated and expensive.
Fenix came up with a simpler version of that in the LxT. Twist head for high/low, switch is strictly for on off. Fenix patented the method so everyone else have to use something else:- multiple clicks.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Both are the good way to do it,
but if I had a choice, I'd prefer a light to have memory.

Alan, please make a 3SD tuned to 1% ~ 15% ~ 100%

:thumbsup:

djj

Newly Enlightened
Low - medium - high, and no memory for me. For an EDC to come on in high just kills it for me. Most of my use of an EDC is for when I'm up in the middle of the night and don't want to disturb anyone that's already sleeping, which means low.

No memory
Come on in low
Low should be very low, sub 1 lumen.

Agreed. I have my Ra Twisty set to 0.07, 3.1, and 100 lumens (maximum spacing from low to high, and a roughly equal multiple between adjacent levels). I use the middle setting the most, but when I do want the low, I really don't want to start in either of the higher settings first--that would defeat the purpose having a low that doesn't hurt my dark-adapted vision.

I've been considering buying a Dereelight for a while, and this new one might be it, can't wait to hear more about output and throw.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

One more request for Alan,

a pill that'll start out on Low (say 1/2 lm) then with a press and hold it ramps up exponentially,...to high.
Then another press to ramps down.

If you want memory, have something like the head be fully tightened for the 'memory mode'.
Low On mode, be quarter turn loosened...

The ramping needs to be fast, 6 seconds total, with more time in the 'Lower' lumen range.

{similar to the Uniq tailcap & SmartPD}

Last edited:

liquidsix

Enlightened
This C2H is designed to be upgradeable, and I'm pretty sure that the memory is a pill feature so just offer pills with, and pills without memory.

Wattnot

Enlightened
I can't pick either on your poll. If there is only one choice then I feel the light should come on HIGH everytime. Remembering the last setting is fairly useless for me . . . I usually can't even remember where I left the LIGHT let alone the intensity. That "feature" is why I chose the Fenix P2D over the Olight.

Zefiryn

Newly Enlightened
The current 3SD + a lower low is fine with me,

Alan, maybe its time to make driver with three user programable brightness levels and option to switch memory on/ff ? that should suit all needs ;)

IcantC

Enlightened
Do people here use medium mode?

I just use low and high. I only have 2 lights which have more than one mode(A2 and CL-E V2).

A2 I use low and hight.
CL-E I never use medium, just low and high. I never have a need for medium.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me the ideal I would a stiff selector ring (using magnets to switch internally for waterproofing) or selector built into the tail cap to select before you turn it on that way it would come on at the level you left it on - or select first (not just for this light but for all lights)

I know there are some out there like that so don't beat up on me :kiss:

just me dreaming/pursuing of the perfect light :naughty: :D