L2D Q5, water safe?

White_Shadow

Newly Enlightened
i am about a few hours away from getting hit with hanna, if the power goes out i will rely on my old trusty 3d stock mag and my new toy, the L2DQ5, my question is. is the L2D waterproof, water tight, whatever its called? i wont be dunking it into a bucket of water, but if i need to take it outside for some reason and it gets wet ( its raining really good now ) will it get pissed?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
no ,your good ...its water dunkable too

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most lights with O-rings are safe in the rain. However, don't assume that a light can handle prolonged or deep immersion in water unless it's advertised for diving use.

aussiebob

Enlightened
I was on holidays recently and it was a bloody hot day so that night we went into the hotel pool and i took my L2D and 6p with me, after a hour or so of playing around and sending them to the bottom a couple of times there was no water at all in either of them.
Both were lubed with Inox gel.

So id say its very water safe!!!

:)

cal..45

Enlightened
I left my L2D on the bottom of a swimming pool once (3.80 meter deep) for about an hour. its still running :thumbsup:

regards, holger

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should be OK as my buddie had mine under water in a lake one time when I lent it to him...

bluesbeat

Newly Enlightened
Where can you get this lube and what others can be used? Do most new lights come already lubed?

I was on holidays recently and it was a bloody hot day so that night we went into the hotel pool and i took my L2D and 6p with me, after a hour or so of playing around and sending them to the bottom a couple of times there was no water at all in either of them.
Both were lubed with Inox gel.

So id say its very water safe!!!

:)

Gator762

Enlightened
Where can you get this lube and what others can be used? Do most new lights come already lubed?

Some are, some aren't. You should check.

I use regular old silicone spray. It's cheap and seems to work pretty well. I tried the plumber's silicone grease, that did not work as well with my Fenix lights. (At least the threads didn't seem nearly as smooth, I did not test water proofness).

Just make sure it is something silicone based and not petroleum based (oil) as oils will degrade the rubber seals.

Good luck with the hurricane! :faint:

streetmaster

Enlightened
I left my L2D on the bottom of a swimming pool once (3.80 meter deep) for about an hour. its still running :thumbsup:
Haha, I did the same thing last weekend, but with my P2D Q5. Put it on strobe at the bottom of the pool at night. The kids loved it. :cool: Left it in there (4 feet deep) for at least 30 minutes, didn't get a drop of water in it.

streetmaster

Enlightened
Thanks guys, I'll try and get some. Only just starting out my interest in torches, but certainly want them waterproof.
The lube suggested by most light manufacturers is Nyogel. It can be found here at LightHound.com. It's what I use, and it works great. Don't get a huge tube like I did, a little goes a long ways! :sssh: I ordered the 50 gram tube and didn't realize until I got it that it was the size of a tube of toothpaste. :whistle: Go with the 25g or even the 10g. Trust me :grin2: