modamag 6aa-6d adapter shorted out

chewy78

Enlightened
I have recently ordered a 6aa-2d adapter from the sandwichshoppe and when I put 6 nimh aa's in it, 2 of the springs heated up and flattened out. I was going to use it in my 2d maglite,with a 5d bulb or rop, but it shorted out and never worked. any ideas of what I could do? i contacted them but they never responded back. Are their products usually this shady? I would like to get my money back or get a replacement.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
SS has their own section here in custom flashlights and modders, so try to ask there if you still haven't gotten a response.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
They can short out if one of the cells has a torn jacket and touches the side. If you insert one of the cells backwards it can cook that cell and melt the spring. I've had it happen once and had to throw out a nice eneloop cell and stretch the spring back out with pliers. If you don't like it, you can probably sell it at the marketplace but the product itself is very solid. Sorry to say but in this case it's most likely user error.

Greg G

Enlightened
Are their products usually this shady? I would like to get my money back or get a replacement.

There is nothing shady about them. Go to their forum and make a post or send a pm. I use those battery holders and mine have worked well.

Excess heat is the only thing that would do that to a spring.

Greg

chewy78

Enlightened
i will try using a pliers and pulling out the spring and i will use some good cells in it

chewy78

Enlightened
That's how i inserted the batteries and hocus pocus, 2 of the springs got hot and flattened out. All of them had the negative terminals touching the springs

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe misassembled. Mine works beautifully, but I assembled my own when they were introduced as kits. I added some shrink tubing to the rods to guard against shorts.

Look in the Sandwich Shoppe section stickies for contact info thread. Sometimes they may miss one mode of contact for awhile, they can go on vacation, etc.