Opinions on Inova Microlights

ThePatriot29

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm new.

I was wondering what everyone thought of Inova Microlights. Which of them, if any, is brighter?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love em'. Great for a quick burst of light just when you need it. Weight-wise they just "disappear" on the keychain. Get the white one for color rendition, the red for night vision preservation. Any other color just has "neato" factor, but the blue is rather striking and the green is the brightest, but not by much. (yes, I have them all... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

http://thelightsite.cruxial.com/reviews/inova_microlight.htm

inova_microlight_colors.jpg

Where are my manners??? Welcome aboard!

BigMac

Enlightened
I have a blue, and it has a narrow beam that is VERY ringed. I'll post a beam shot if I can find my camera...

BTW, Welcome!

BigMac

Enlightened
Here is the picture. The inova is on the left, with the Arc AAA on the right. I like my arc alot better, cause, well, I think it's better. You can get an arc (or an inova) from www.countycomm.com.

inovaandarc.JPG

I know I won't be the last person you hear about the Arc from, it's very popular. Also, those lights were not quite at full battery power, but both were pretty close. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a photon for sometime now and I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. I just got a microlight and it blows the photon away. The biggest improvement is the mechanism. The photon just uses the bare LED leads to make contact with the battery, which occasionally get bent and require re-shaping, whereas the microlight has a formed metal contact that gives positive feedback when pushed and springs back to the off position. The clip is better than a standard split ring, it says on the keyring but comes off very easily when you *want* it to, though isn't very flexible (this actually isn't as much of a problem as I thought it would be when I got the light).

Judged as a light in and of itself, I like the Arc AAA better, but the Microlight is more seems more "at home" on the keychain that does the ArcAAA with a miniclip. I just carry the arc seperately most of the time.

BigMac

Enlightened
For a coin-cell key-chain light, I personally would buy a Photon (II or III) over the Inova, or mabey an Princeton Tec Pulsar. I don't own a pulsar, so I couldn't compare them.

paulr

Flashaholic
I've had a few Photon II's and have had probs with them because of the LED lead contact getting intermittent. Maybe the computer controlled Photon III is better. I'm going to buy a Photon III pretty soon to attempt a 5 watt Luxeon mod for it (not joking, see other thread) so I'll examine the construction after I get it. The Photon II slide switch is also somewhat difficult to operate. Photons were groundbreaking lights when they came out but there's a wide range of choices now.

If you want a good keychain light, I'll join in the Arc AAA supporters throng. If you just want a coin cell light for occasionally making your way through a dark hallway, I'd say take your pick of whatever's out there. I just bought a bunch of the $1.00 lights from Countycomm and have been giving them out to friends. They're not as nice as Photons but are fine for their purpose.

BillBill

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to flashlights in general. I own a white Microlight and a Rayovac sportsman LED light. The Microlight is just as bright as the latter. However, the Microlight does have a different beam pattern. It is a good light.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had about six or eight Inova Microlights, several Photons (I and II) and several other other small quality keychain LED lights. My favorites are the Inovas. I've had one switch go bad (on/off switch stopped working, squeeze still worked), but otherwise no problems.

-Keith

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
Inova Microlights are a great value because they have both an intermittent squeeze switch and a constant on/off switch. They have the same features as a Photon II Microlight but at a lower price. I prefer the translucent Inova Microlights because they look cooler than the ones with a black housing and gray button.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have about 10 of them.
I got my first one about 2-3 years ago. I lost it one day in the snow. Could not find it and could not find it. About a week later when the snow started to melt. It had been run over by my truck with studs. Had a few scratches, but other than that it worked fine and still does.
For the money great little light.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a red one. Took the metal clip off so I can hold it in my mouth to write in low lite situations, etc.

BillBill

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if the translucent body is responsible for the large ring( or square box-shaped artifact ) around the beam. Is it present with a black body?

Deanster

Enlightened
IMHO, far and away the best keychain light. ArcAAA is a better light, but doesn't sit well on my keychain. The Microlight just dissapears, and takes the abuse of keychain life FAR better than the Photon variants.

It's also MUCH sturdier than the ASP led lights, and brighter than the no-names.

Highly recommended product - one lives on each keychain, and a couple more on selected coat zippers.

Arc AAA's or AA's go in pockets, my carry bag, or wherever, but no longer on my keychain.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a white microlight which is good for traveling since its small and light and our trips don't last for more than 2 weeks or so. But for everyday use and in the long run we use our Arc AAA since it stays brighter longer, has a much nicer whiter beam and batteries are much cheaper and much easier to come by and its much nicer to look at.

The use of the microlight evolved like this: we loved it, used it all the time, then after 2 more battery changes and no more batteries, it just sits there.