E01 mod?

crofty

Newly Enlightened
Is it possible to put in a whiter and maybe a bit brighter LED?

I`m thinking with the help from you guys I might give my first mod a go :)

btw don`t get me wrong it`s a perfect light and I`m happy with it, I`m just itching to do my first mod. :naughty:

Or maybe I should just get an L0D :devil:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
isnt the entire light pill potted in plastic resin? I dont think it would be the easiest light to mod if that's the case. You can use a diffuser to blend the blue hot spot with the warm flood. A piece of scotch tape over the front creates a very smooth beam thats much more neutral in color.

I wish someone in DIY land would make a low current DC-DC driver for nichia emitters, or multi-nichia emitters. I think it would sell like hotcakes, being that Nichias dont need a reflector or thermal management.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nichia GS that the E01 uses is already the brightest 5mm LED on the market. If you want it brighter you'd have to change/mod the driver, as the one in the E01 doesn't overdrive and is quite gentle to both LED and battery.
While we're at it, the E01 is not meant to be a powerful light - no light with a 5mm LED is.
Besides, this is all moot. The driver and LED are completely potted in resin; you'd have to scrape it all off by hand to get at the circuits, and that's quite hard without a lot of patience. It's not at all worth the effort.

You want to look into lights with Cree or SSC LEDs for high brightness.

crofty

Newly Enlightened
Damn not worth it then.. that probably explains why knowone else has tried.

I know it`s not meant to be bright ;) It was more the blue tint I wanted to get rid of. Extra brightness isn`t needed but wouldn`t of done any harm.

I`ll try some tape and if that`s not good enough I read vic nasal spray tubes make good diffusers.

My modding urge will have to sit on the back burner for now :devil:

Thanks

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX has recently added to their stock a 18650/2xCR123 flashlight body, with everything but driver and emitter.

Buy that, then choose the emitter and driver that you prefer, and build yourself your dream light. :)

Dantor

Enlightened
oh some have done it, their is a thread somewhere in here with pictures even (can you say "Gunk!").

crofty

Newly Enlightened
DX has recently added to their stock a 18650/2xCR123 flashlight body, with everything but driver and emitter.

Buy that, then choose the emitter and driver that you prefer, and build yourself your dream light. :)
Will give that a go one day. Maybe. :)

oh some have done it, their is a thread somewhere in here with pictures even (can you say "Gunk!").
Couldn`t find one, linkup if you come accross it.

E01 driver mod: Link
E01 body mod: Link
Can you explain that a bit more? Esp the second link, any more info on that?

L0D is next on the list ;)

crofty

Newly Enlightened
Good stuff Energie, I guess you didn`t change the LED or driver, using the head and the top bit cut of the E01 body then made a custon tailcap. Looks like a dif reflector too, more shiny than the one on my E01.

v nice mod, I`d love one :) Though I see this is a one off :(

Last edited: