TK10 Heat!

crazee horse

Banned
probably a really silly question, but i left my TK10 on turbo last night, to test how long the cells would last. i had a shower and checked it after about half hour, well the body was quite warm bordering on hot! is this the norm? is there a rough guide to leaving a flashlight on turbo?
answers on a postcard guys to the usual address.................:popcorn:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that's usual. Obviously, LED makes heat, heat goes to body of flashlight. Air is a rubbish conductor, hence the heat didn't leave the body of the flashlight.

As long as you can pick it up, it's not hot enough to have greatly damaged the LED.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK10 will not have the same issues as the smaller Fenix models when it comes to overheating. I've noticed mine gets warm when on turbo for some time but not too hot.

superflytnt

Enlightened
It's normal but when it gets too hot then the head/body are becoming saturated and are less effective at drawing heat away from the emitter. When I do runtime testing I use a small fan on the light to approximate the cooling effects of the hand. If I needed to use a light in candle mode for a long period I just wouldn't use turbo.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It's perfectly normal as the others have stated.

LEDs create heat as they run, this heat goes to the metal body of the light, and since air is a bad conductor of heat, this heat collects there and causes the light to heat up.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it should get warm, that means the aluminum is absorbing the heat. The TK10 should have enough mass to handle the heat, but when you are running Turbo for extended periods of time it never hurts to add a liquid cooling system:

zpaulg

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it should get warm, that means the aluminum is absorbing the heat. The TK10 should have enough mass to handle the heat, but when you are running Turbo for extended periods of time it never hurts to add a liquid cooling system:

+1 on that idea.

I find 5 or 6 beers are usually sufficient, 8-10 beers result in new flashlights popping through the post unexpectedly:twothumbs