Why isn't Stainless Steel used more often?

JRTJRT

Newly Enlightened
I was looking for a stainless steel flashlight (the 1AAA and 2AAA Peak Solutions look nice) but I hear they are on the heavy side. I am a mimimalist and appreciate the lightness of plastic and aluminum lights but they are always much thicker. I don't need a flashlight that can withstand being run over by a tank. I figure they could reduced the wall thickness of a current stainless steel flashlight by maybe 50% or so, making the same light at half the weight, thinner, and still be strong enough for reasonable use. I prefer flashlights that are designed around the battery it takes, with minimal flash and material. I prefer function, low maintenance and longevity.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication". -Leonardo Da Vinci

Maybe a keychain or pocket light, or even a "doctor's" exam light that looks profesional and even resists bacterial growth. Surgical Stainless Steel could even be used.

My Zebra ink pen is made out of very thin walled and light weight steel tubing. A tad thicker walled and /wider to take AAA cells and it would be perfect flashlight material and light weight. Think of a nice stainless steel pen like a Parker that costs maybe $10 and is very durable, turned into an AAA flashlight with a few changes. Even the stainless steel clicky would be similar.

Remember the chrome steel flashlights from decades ago? They were fairly light weight and inexpensive.

Aluminum is a softer metal, scratches easier, must be painted or clear coated or anodized or it it oxidizes (rusts), it wears faster, and is not the best for wearing surfaces like twisty screw threads on flashlights. Ever clean the dirty twisty threads on your aluminum flashlight? That's worn paint and aluminum. Aluminum must be thicker to get the same strength.

Titanium is very expensive, difficult to manufacture, scratches and wears, not best for thread material.

Stainless Steel: Doesn't need paint, polishing is optional, strong, doesn't wear or scratch easily, good for threads, smooth action for twisties, retro and modern looking at the same time, cleaner, looks good. Stainless already reflects light well so it can be used as the reflector, doesn't need wiring like plastic lights.

Today everything seems to be disposable, made to last a few years so it needs to be replaced. Look at an old aluminum cooking pot vs an old stainless steel cooking pot. My grandfather's old steel flashlights from the 1950's (?) are in much better shape than my plastic flashlights and my aluminum MagLites from the 90's which are all scratched up and worn out. I now prefer bare metal instead of paint and even anodizing.

The only downside I see to stainless steel is weight, but it seems that these lights don't need to use so much steel when designing the flashlight, especially for a tiny and light weight AAA flashlight. Aluminum flashlights seem to have too many ridges and extra add ons at the expense of thickness.

There is something about an all steel flashlight, chrome or stainless, vintage or new, that plastic, aluminum, or even titanium can't beat.

So why don't the flashlight makers use more stainless steel when designing flashlights? Has stainless steel for the most part been abandoned for good, or will it make a comeback?

Last edited:

h_nu

Enlightened
I have a knurled stainless steel lug body Peak Matterhorn, AA body Peak Pacific, and AAA body Peak Baltic. It's nice for small flashlights. I doubt you could sell a dozen D battery flashlights in stainless steel anymore. Those old Eveready types were plain steel.

candlepowerforever

Newly Enlightened
Stainless steel is a poor heat sink compared aluminum. With a light that produces a lot of heat, it wouldn't manage the heat very well.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
What grade SS? ;)

Well my point is some rust some don't,there are to many grades to choose :)
Also some grades are as exspensive as titanium.:thinking:V10,AUS8 S30V I maybe wrong though ;)

thermal guy

Flashaholic
One reason is because it can be a bear to work with during the machining stage.Very tough

candlepowerforever

Newly Enlightened
What grade SS? ;)

Well my point is some rust some don't,there are to many grades to choose :)
Also some grades are as exspensive as titanium.:thinking:V10,AUS8 S30V I maybe wrong though ;)

Those are high carbon alloys made for knives, so they will rust.

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I appreciate the desire for simplicity and minimalism, but if I were you I would just get one of the Peak lights. Sure they are a little thicker than they need to be but they are very tough and simple. My guess is that they will last you the rest of your life. You might never find that "ideal" light that you're looking for. God knows enough people here are looking for their ideal light....and not many of them find it.

I have a couple of Peak lights in brass and stainless and I love them. Simple and built to last.

AuroraAlpha

Newly Enlightened

That list places titanium directly in line with many Stainless Steel alloys if not worse than most. There are many titanium lights being made, so why not Stainless? If this was the only reason, it wouldn't be too hard to press or thread an insert of aluminum/copper to act as a heat spreader at which point the heat would probably be dilute enough to be passed through a relatively thin stainless steel layer.

I will agree that low conductivity doesn't help the situation, but I think that machining is more of an issue. The stuff is hell to work with even if you have carbide inserts. The stuff is extremely easy to burn so that often means a slow pace and since most hobbyists can't run flood coolant many operations need massive cool-down times. Also it's very hard to drill since you can't use much coolant and most drills are still only HSS or a cobalt alloy. Neither is very good for stainless – acceptable at best.

By the time you can get any machinist to work with it you might as well move to titanium so the light has some material value rather than being all design. The higher corrosion resistance is also nice when you make the switch.

So I think the combination of mid-price raw materials, hard to machine properties, poor thermal properties, good (but not excellent as with AL and Ti) corrosion resistance, and more challenging design work all make it a material not working with, also it can be more expensive to plate since a Nickel coating is often applied first – another step means more expense.

All in all it's a great material and would make for great lights, but with the high cost of design and production there isn't much of a reason to switch when you already have good cheap (AL), and good expensive (Ti) materials.

JRTJRT

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information that is interesting... so the properties that make steel good for flashlights are also why it is hard to work with in manufacturing. Still, a simple stainless steel ink pen seems functional and cheap even considering economies of scale.
I didn't think heat would be a huge factor against steel with all of the plastic flashlights out there now handling hot LED's. I wonder how plastic rates on that thermal scale - maybe a 1?
I guess I'll just have to order one of the stainless Peak lights. Brass seems interesting but the thought of having to polish it when it corrodes isn't appealing at all to me. The "dealextreme fighter stainless steel 1AAA" seems like more of what I am looking for but reviews are mixed about quality and I'm not a fan of complicated interfaces.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
i have stainless steel lanyard hooks that seems to never rust. there's a numbering on them - 316. supposed to be a grade that is used primarily for sea going applications, according to the staff.

some of them are with me for 5 years now. :rolleyes:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first cree light was the leatherman monarch. It is a 3AAA stainless steel flashlight. The light was very heavy and felt bullet proof.

It would be nice to have another stainless steel light, but not as my EDC. I want my EDC to be as light as possible.

spgrk

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate the desire for simplicity and minimalism, but if I were you I would just get one of the Peak lights. Sure they are a little thicker than they need to be but they are very tough and simple. My guess is that they will last you the rest of your life. You might never find that "ideal" light that you're looking for. God knows enough people here are looking for their ideal light....and not many of them find it.

I have a couple of Peak lights in brass and stainless and I love them. Simple and built to last.

I have a SS Peak Baltic which has a very stiff twist action, and tends to flicker unless it is twisted all the way down. I have a brass Peak Matterhorn with lug body that has a very smooth twist action, and I keep it always on my keychain. I am given to understand that brass is self-lubricating and therefore smoother in twisty lights. If I could be convinced that a SS Matterhorn would be as smooth as the brass version, I would get one, as it would be harder wearing. And BTW, even relatively soft brass is much better than aluminium with "hard anodising" as far as durability for keyring carry goes.

roymail

Enlightened
The Nitecore D10 demo video on youtube makes reference to the PD piston drive being licensed from Don Mcleish and shows one of his lights which appears to be stainless or some other material... I'm not certain.

Anyway, I really like the way it looks and it's obviously high quality. Is it stainless or what? :huh:

roymail

Enlightened
Did I say... "high quality"? Wow, well that explains it.

Do you know which model is shown in that video? Thanks, Marduke!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another reason (although less obvious) is that aluminum is magnetically intrinsic. I.E. It doesn't attract magnets, and won't interfere with navigation equipment, or set off "booby traps", and it's not very good at producing sparks...