TK10 or TK11 ?

alank2

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've been using a Inova X5 in my pocket for a long time, but I'd like to upgrade to something better and brighter. I'm thinking about a TK10 or TK11 for my pocket instead.

Which one would you recommend any why?

I've been using non rechargeable 123's so far and I don't feel like they are costing me too much as I don't use the light all the time, I just like to have it when I need it.

Question # 1 : How is the self-discharge on the rechargeable 123's? I really like the long shelf life on primaries.

Question # 2 : Which TK10 or TK11 do you recommend and why?

Thanks,

Alan

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You might want the Fenix P3D CE-Q5 more then the T series. The light is slimmer and more similar to the X5 then the T series. It would probably feel better when you pocket the light then the T series lights.

Li-ion batteries have a relatively low self discharge rate.

Marduke

Flashaholic
You might also want to look at the P3D Q5. It's about the same size and shape as your X5, with a wider range of brightness choices.

If you are sure you're only going to use CR123's or RCR123's, I would go with the TK10 over the TK11

The self discharge of RCR123's is negligible.

alank2

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

You might also want to look at the P3D Q5. It's about the same size and shape as your X5, with a wider range of brightness choices.

If you are sure you're only going to use CR123's or RCR123's, I would go with the TK10 over the TK11

The self discharge of RCR123's is negligible.

I do like its size better, but I have a question:

General Mode: 12 lumens (65hrs) -> 53 lumens (13hrs) -> 120 lumens (4.8hrs) -> SOS
Turbo Mode: 215 lumens (1.8hrs) -> Strobe

I don't understand what the above means - is there a manual for these anywhere?

Does the turbo mode not offer a solid on mode, just strobing?

Thanks,

Alan

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The light has two main modes.

Head tightened = General mode = starts with low(12 lumen) tap the switch(any form of breaking the circuit for 2 seconds or less), tapping the reverse clickie breaks the circuit for a short while, the driver senses this and goes the the next mode, which right now would be medium, tap the switch, goes to high, tap the switch, goes to SOS, tap the switch it goes back to low and starts the cycle again.

Head Tightened = Turbo mode = starts with Turbo, tap the switch, strobe, tap the switch, turbo and so on.

If you leave the light off for more then 2 seconds, the light resets to the first output of each mode. Head loose, it resets to low. Head tight, it resets to Turbo.

A full click is always off.

I hope I haven't confused you.

alank2

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

So the P3D Q5 has a turbo mode that is solid on? What other differences are there between the P3D Q5 and the TK10 ?

Thanks,

Alan

USM0083

Enlightened
Hi,

I do like its size better, but I have a question:

General Mode: 12 lumens (65hrs) -> 53 lumens (13hrs) -> 120 lumens (4.8hrs) -> SOS
Turbo Mode: 215 lumens (1.8hrs) -> Strobe

I don't understand what the above means - is there a manual for these anywhere?

Does the turbo mode not offer a solid on mode, just strobing?

Thanks,

Alan

With the bezel tightened down, click on once and you're in turbo mode. Click off then back on within two second and your are in strobe.

Loosen the bezel a quarter turn, you are in General Mode. Click on and you are in Low Mode. Click on again within two seconds and you are in med. Keep clicking with two seconds and you cycle through the modes.

Leave in off more more than two seconds (in either mode) and it all resets.

I have an L2D, but use the tail cap from an L2T, which is a forward clicky with momentary on. I can switch between modes with a soft press, rather than a full click on-off.

EDIT: a half press while on will cycle through modes.

Last edited:

alank2

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am really behind on this? forward clicky? backward clicky? It is just one button right?

What if you just press the button without clicking and hold it, is the momentary turbo on?

Thanks,

Alan

Marduke

Flashaholic
Each "->" in the above menu means a soft press. You don't have to fully click the switch off and back on to switch modes. When the light comes on, you halfway press down and release on the switch and it silently switches to the next mode. This is called a "soft press"

With the head loose, it goes:
low, then medium, then high, then SOS

With the head tight, it goes:
turbo, then strobe

It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is, and after about 2 minutes it's REALLY easy for anyone to do.

Edit:
I highly recommend reading the Welcome Mat

Last edited:

USM0083

Enlightened
Hi,

So the P3D Q5 has a turbo mode that is solid on? What other differences are there between the P3D Q5 and the TK10 ?

Thanks,

Alan

The TK10 has a forward clicky. Half press for momentary on, full press to click on. There are only two modes. With the bezel tightened it's in turbo mode. Loosen the bezel and you are in general mode.

I've run the TK10 with AW RCR123s. Ultrafire RCRs are too long. You can use a 17670, but only in general mode, since the voltage is too low for turbo mode.

alex_ny

Newly Enlightened
Other differences :
tk10 got Textured reflector p3d got smooth.
tk10 probably got 2x lux output on turbo compare to p3d.... ?
p3d will work bout 20 mins longer on turbo then tk10

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The vererable X5 you have been using is great for getting long runtimes on a set of batteries. When you use the higher powered lights discussed above, you will go through batteries much quicker because it will be hard not to use the higher power modes when you know they are there. If you don't already have RCR123's now, you may want to get a light that can run on 18650 size rechargeable batteries. They give longer runtimes than using RCR123's.

alank2

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

The vererable X5 you have been using is great for getting long runtimes on a set of batteries. When you use the higher powered lights discussed above, you will go through batteries much quicker because it will be hard not to use the higher power modes when you know they are there. If you don't already have RCR123's now, you may want to get a light that can run on 18650 size rechargeable batteries. They give longer runtimes than using RCR123's.

I hear you. I like the P3D size, it will be hard not to choose it for its size as I plan to pocket it. I'm not so sure if the TK10/11 would be just a bit too big for my pocket.

I still have one big question of lithium ion rechargeables - how long do they last in terms of their self-discharge? How much do they lose after a month of not being charged??

Thanks,

Alan

Marduke

Flashaholic
Li-Ions don't self discharge fast at all. With minimal use, you might want to top off every year.

BTW, if you're used to relatively low output, the low mode on the P3D should be great for long runtimes.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The reverse clickie, like the one the P3D uses, has no momentary on mode(there is momentary off though). When you hold the switch down, the light is off.

Li-ion batteries don't discharge much. According to this thread, it retains 95% charge after 1 year. I think the number is less for protected batteries though.

Low on the P3D runs for 29 hours on low with RCR123s and 70 something hours with CR123s. 3-5 lumen on low depending on model.

The P3D-CE Q5 on medium has similar output to the X5(CS LEDs) and runs for 11 hours with RCR123s and 16 hour with CR123s compared to Inova's 6 hours.

P3D-CE runtimes, Inova X5 review

alank2

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

What do you have to do to get turbo solid on on a P3D Q5? Press the button until it clicks?

Thanks,

Alan