Quality of European Cigarettes?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
As some of you may know prices of cigarettes in NY have skyrocketted to almost 9$ a pack. Im considering buying them online from european vendors who have prices comparable to a few years ago in the US. Only thing that bugs me is that they also sell US packs but at around twice the price they sell European cigarettes. Is there a quality difference or just because of the tax on US cigarettes? Ive heard from people that European cigarettes are inferior to those made in the US because of taste and such. Any opinions? And if anyone here buys them online can you point me towards a reliable vendor? I really want to buy some lucky strike cartons. Tried them a while ago and really liked them.

Last edited:

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titan Im well aware of the cheap prices available from many of these online vendors. My question is whether they are reliable, what is the quality of european cigarettes that make them different from US ones and how long would shipping take. Do you have any experience ordering from that website?

AlphaTea

Enlightened
I think I can help you out here.
I am a former smoker. Cold turkey Thanksgiving 1999.
I also live in NYS. Sux doesn't it?
I know first hand about Foreign smokes. Many many moons ago I spent quite a bit of time in the Med, Europe, Mid East etc. Their cigs were pretty harsh. You could buy American labled cigs at a premium, but they were not the same a USA made cigs. Actually kind of nasty. Nothing like the real thing.
Some folks I know frequent the Indian reservations for discounted cigs. This is probably your best bet unless you quit.
A word of caution, A guy I work with got a bill from NYS for about $1500 (I actually saw the bill) for unpaid taxes on cigs he bought on the internet from a company in South Carolina over a two year period. His father got a similar but smaller bill. At the time (about 3 years ago) the tax on cigs was around $1.50 a pack and retail was about $5 a pack. I dunno what the rate is now.
Please just quit, you wont be sorry. It can be done. I smoked for 25
years. YMMV
Also, you will have a butt-load of extra money to spend on flashlights!!!

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
First of all, I'd like to suggest you take this increase in price as a hint that it might just be time to quit smoking.

Now, judging by the fact that you're looking to buy cigarettes online, it seems to me you're not really going to take that advice. But as an ex-smoker who actually worked at one of europes largest cigarette manufacturers, I can tell you that european cigarettes are of a LOT higher quality than those in the US. Well, as long as you stick with the major brands at least. I can't go into details here, but I've seen the papers that prove that cigarettes for the european market undergo much stricter quality control than cigarettes for any other market.
Also I have a little personal experience, back when I still smoked, one of my friends went to the US for a month and brought me back some cigarettes. Compared to our european (well, dutch at least) the american cigarettes were pretty much like smoking old newspapers.
Ofcourse taste is very much influenced by what you're used to, but keep in mind that there will be a taste difference, even with the major brands due to market demand and difference in quality control & regulations. But when buying cigarettes meant for the european market, quality is the least of your worries.

What I do find strange is that you would be able to buy european cigarettes cheaper than US cigarettes, as they are much more expensive over here than in the US.

PatrickMurrey

Newly Enlightened
Of course taste is very much influenced by what you're used to, there will be a taste difference, even with the major brands due to market demand and difference in quality control & regulations. But when buying cigarettes meant for the European market, quality is the least of your worries.

lightcycle1

Enlightened
Get a cigarette machine and stuff your own tubes.
Make your own for 1.10 a pk, time takes about 7 minutes a pk. Or quit.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts