Organized My Current EDC Drawer!

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Got some of that fancy drawer organizer foam from Sears. Now my lights and knives won't slide around when I open and close the drawer! (littler knives are for federal building carry where I work. Larger knives are for, well, cutting stuff...)

EDCRotationOrganized.jpg

Last edited:

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
Very impressive! Nice collection and very good taste on your end.

Of those, which is your favorite carry combo?

And how dense/deep is the foam? How long did it take you to get the whole area done?

I like it alot. Way better than having everything in one giant pile in a drawer. Nice work.

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Thanks Riceboy. Sort of the stroking from fellow enthusiasts I was hoping for, and serves to offset my wife's response, which was a roll of the eyes.

The foam is the "Craftsman" 1/2 inch drawer organizer foam. If you google that you'll see it. It is the same product marketed under other names for more $$. At my Sears it was $19.99 for 2 sheets of 1/2 by 16 by 22 or so. It comes with a small razor blade knife and adhesive "template" paper. You can loosely stick it on, and trace your items onto it. I then used a larger utility knife for the main cuts and the small included knife for the final cut throughs. Whole process took about an hour. Edited to add: Foam is easy to work with. It's easy not to cut to far. One recommendation: don't cut the holes quite as large as the traced lines-I overdid a couple as you can see. It is better if the items fit snug.

My favorite carry combo varies, depending on what gun I'm carrying (in pocket, or usually in holster, or both).

My newest infatuation is with the Novatac 120P I got a couple weeks ago. Then I either have my L0D with my keys, or if driving my wife's car, the P2D, which is also new.

For knives, I like the Spiderco Street Beat mounted horizontally on my belt at about 1:00 position if wearing a vest. If not, the benchmade fixed resistor vertically on belt at about 8:00.

Thanks!...Jeff.

Last edited:

phosphor

Enlightened
Nice job Jeff ! Sooner or later a guy wants to organize his EDC items, and your solution seems to be very practical. I'm in my 70's now, and in the last few years I've cut back my number of EDC choices, but what I do have are organized in a small, felt-lined, flip top, wooden box I made a few years back.
It makes for great convenience when I want to "grab-and-go". I think you're going to really appreciate your new set-up !

- regards

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work! I can't do that because I buy stuff to try and sell what I don't use. Maybe one day when my collections are more permanent I'll do something similar. Good job!

nitesky

Newly Enlightened
Excellent work. One excuse for multiple EDC lights and knives was the ability to always find one. If they are organized I will no longer have that reason:)

max6166

Newly Enlightened
What a great idea! Nice job! :thumbsup:

That foam looks like it would also work to line a carrying case. You'd have to seat everything more in the bottom half, and then put a little foam in the lid to just hold everything in place.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
You carry a whole drawer with you every day? LOL!

Very nice. But what happens when you buy a new knife or flashlight? Start all over with new foam?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i bought that that same foam at sears a while ago , it took me a good minute to figure out what it was & how to open it :laughing: at first i thought it was a craftsman ornament or fridge magnet lol then after i opened it and its not sharp enough to slice the foam only to stab it

PseudoFed

Enlightened
You carry a whole drawer with you every day? LOL!

Very nice. But what happens when you buy a new knife or flashlight? Start all over with new foam?

Good point, and question! The foam comes with two sheets:naughty:

Actually, I have a few more things in the safe. This drawer contains things in the current rotation. If necessary, I'll put a different light/knife in the hole cut for another item--I don't, ahem, "need" each item to fit exactly. (But I can't fall asleep if any of my shoes are touching each other....:sick2:)

PseudoFed

Enlightened
i bought that that same foam at sears a while ago , it took me a good minute to figure out what it was & how to open it :laughing: at first i thought it was a craftsman ornament or fridge magnet lol then after i opened it and its not sharp enough to slice the foam only to stab it

Ha ha. I knew it came with a knife, but it took me awhile to figure out the opening also. I used a bigger utility blade for the main cuts, but used the little craftsman knife to carefully complete each hole.

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
I must say you have excellent taste in knives. Is the Spydie Street Beat not one of the most awesome knives ever? Mini Manix is pretty sweet, too. The D'Allara has has super smooth opening, does it not? Oh, nice lights, too. :thumbsup:

Are you, by chance, on the Spyderco forum?

dasBULK

Newly Enlightened
I must say you have excellent taste in knives. Is the Spydie Street Beat not one of the most awesome knives ever? Mini Manix is pretty sweet, too. The D'Allara has has super smooth opening, does it not? Oh, nice lights, too. :thumbsup:

Opening mine brings the words, "mechanical velvet" to mind.
Im DRod on the Spyderco Forums, btw.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got some of that fancy drawer organizer foam from Sears. Now my lights and knives won't slide around when I open and close the drawer! (littler knives are for federal building carry where I work. Larger knives are for, well, cutting stuff...)

EDCRotationOrganized.jpg

Nice draw ! I dont have a big enough holster for a whole draw :nana:

PseudoFed

Enlightened

Steven-not currently on the Spyderco forum. Bladeforums either. My knife EDC stabilized a while back, and I realize that means staying OFF the forums!

Agree on the Street Beat and the others. But by far the most buttery opening knife is the Benchmade mini-Dejavoo (the only knife pictured horizontally). I just wish it had a safety notch/stop to slow the closing..Oweee! I also have a couple newer Leathermans (charge Ti, Wave) that are unused in the safe! I find the mini-Manix a tank and only carry with jeans due to its weight!

Later...

P220C

Newly Enlightened
Is that an optical illusion or is the opening hole on you Benchmade DeJaVoo square instead of round.

Nice collection by the way.

Sorry about your OCD, though.

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Is that an optical illusion or is the opening hole on you Benchmade DeJaVoo square instead of round.

Nice collection by the way.

Sorry about your OCD, though.
Not sure since replying from blackberry, but it has a round hole. Think it may be a piece of the foam or something looking sqare. He he. Should have called it my OCD drawer!