606A battery madness

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone knows the DX 606A as a good all around flashlight. Flexible, can be used with a lithium CR2 for compactness and brightness or 2 AA for convenience and runtime. I never did like the difficulty in finding CR2 batteries let alone rechargeable versions. And the pathetic battery life they offered.

So since I did end up ordering a silver Q4 and black Q5 one, and my silver one burned out on me, I ended up just using the extension tube and switch from the black one and making a 3 AA light, had to make a copper rear spring spacer which I soldered to the spring. I'm really happy with the performance you get the brightness of lithium but the ease of use and availability of nimh/alkaline. Also runtime is an amazing 2:45 before going into unregulated moon mode.

p9070108fa1.jpg

Since it also runs on 2 AA I figured I should put 2 AA lithium rechargeables in it. Now you can't just pop them in since it'll be too much voltage but with a little creative soldering of a tin jumper to connect the battery cans and some enamel coated copper wire to connect the positives. I was able to get a special 2 cell 3.7 volt parallel battery pack with a capacity of now 1800 mah. I used superglue to insulate between the cells so they wouldn't touch. What's great about this is that the 606A's battery tube is just slightly bigger than the cells so the extra width made by the mods means the pack still fits. This is now as bright as my 18650 light and has a comparable runtime of about 2 hours but with the added benefit that I can easily switch to 2 AA alkalines or nimh batteries in a pinch no special battery or holders for conversion, just pop those AA's in.

p9070109nu3.jpg

Edited, And one more thing I just realized, the 2 AA lithium is significantly light than 2 AA nimh.

Last edited:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
those are some gigantic images..The max image size for this forum is 800x600 as mentioned in the rules..Please scale your images down for us. Thanks!