LED light for my 4 year old nephew?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
it will be one of his gifts for being a ringbearer for my wedding ( we are also getting him these big Incredible Hulk hand thingies!).

he is a budding flashaholic, and a great, bright kid.

i was thinking the Pal Workman, because it automatically turns off after 25 minutes, and it has that cool "always on" feature. he likes to read at night, sometimes.

what do you all think? any other suggestions?

Bob

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rayovac makes a LED light for kids that has red, amber, and green LEDs in it for about $8 at walmart.

I got one for my nephew last Christmas, and I heard it's STILL his most favorite gift he plays with..

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I recently bought a Brinkmann Long Life LED for my nephew and he loves it. Under $12.00 at your local Walmart.

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
I think the auto off feature is a big plus for kids. For the price you can't go wrong. I would also get the belt pouch since it doesn't appear that you can attach a lanyard.

Chris

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm. multiple colors--he might like that.

i will have to pay a visit to WalMart. i am sure that he will appreciate whatever i get for him.

thanks for all the suggestions--i knew you folks would come through!

Bob

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You could also get an AB Moonbeams.
It's a modded light, but I think a 4-year old would like it very much.

I don't have a URL handy, but searching the User Modified forum for "AB Moonbeam" will lead you to it.
(I opened another IE and searched for you - try this thread to learn more about it.)

paulr

Flashaholic
You could get him one of those LED lights that you shake up an ddown to light up (powered by moving a magnet through a coil when you shake it, there's no batteries and the thing is completely sealed). There's another thread about them. They're impractical as emergency lights (which is what they're advertised as) but they're fun to play with.

Caddyshack

Newly Enlightened
Bob. My 4 year old nephew never puts down my Eternalight when I come over to visit. The flashing and strobe features seem to be his favorites. I know you can get them in colors as well and many of the older models are on EBAY for under $30.00.

paulr

Flashaholic
Don't give a 4 year old anything as small as a Photon. He might swallow it. Although it might still be lit and easy to find once it came out the other end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree on the shake light, kids have a terrible time remembering to turn off flashlights; give the kid some excerize too !

I remember seeing a story about a father tired of having his kids just sit around and watch tv, so he hooked up an excersize bike to a generator, and told them - if they want to watch tv, they will have to excersize !

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
heh, heh!

too funny, Mike!

he is one energetic kid...maybe i could use him to cut down the electric bills.

Bob

Ps your AA adapter is growing on me more and more...

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad you like our adapter

Just got our newest batch in Tuesday, and these are even BRIGHTER than the last ones !!, I am doing a Brightness/Time run on the light meter right now

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made gifts of this light to a few kids.
00144_imageMain400.JPG

Playskool Color Glow Flashlight

It's about $10.

Although they now make it out of translucent yellow plastic, the ones I got were just yellow. That blue knob on the side switches between the color filters (green, red). And that large button under the handle has to be pushed for the light to stay on. If they let it go, it goes out in 2-3 minutes.

Another good feature, for kids, you have to use a phillips screwdriver to get into the battery compartment.

It uses 2 C cells. It is incandescent, though. I am going to get one, and put one of those 3 LED bulb conversions in it (do they come in 3V versions?)

*EDIT* On second thought, it wouldn't work with 3V, Duh! The forward voltage of the LED is higher than that. Oh well, an Epieon or EverLED will work. *EDIT*

It will go on standby for the next kid's present. If I remember right, it takes a PR bulb, so an EverLED would work, although, kind of pricey.

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
It will go on standby for the next kid's present. If I remember right, it takes a PR bulb, so an EverLED would work, although, kind of pricey.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Versalux PR-2 is 3 volt too. It's not as bright as the EverLED, but much less expensive and very easy on batteries.

JJHitt

Enlightened
For Cost and Indestructability I'd go with a Brinkman LongLife or a PAL.

A 4 year old might actually apreciate the "flasher" mode of a PAL Survival. (Me, I hates it.)

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Empath on the Versalux PR-2. I have several of them here, installed in mostly 2C and 2D lights, with a couple in 2AA lights. They are brightest in 2D, followed closely by 2C. The ones I have are permanent installs: 2D Mag, Coleman Peak 1 Expedition Headlamp (2D), Eveready Comfort Grip (2C), and a 2AA light I installed one in for my mom. They draw 190 milliamps and can only be used with Alkalines.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i ordered the Pal Surelight from pocketlights. it is like the workman, in that it shuts itself off in 25-30 minutes.

many thanks for all the ideas--heck, im still looking at that playskool light for my niece!

i intend to eventually arm the entire family with quality flashlights...i HATE seeing them struggle with sub-par illumination!

Bob

Martin__UK

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

My favourite (and my 7 year old daughter's) is the Sauce Micro lightwand.

Lots of colours / modes, is cheap and small (key ring sized) so you can attach it to a wrist or neck strap. Plus it turns off automatically if you don't use it for a while.

See http://www.cksauce.com/products/MicroLightwand/index.htm

Our other favourite is a $3.5 handheld rainbow fibre optic keyring (which I think came from extreme glow) which you can wave around to create patterns.

I can highly recommend both as fun items for kids (and kids at heart).

Martin