EX-10 MAYBE ???

jamie.91

Enlightened
hey

im thinking of buying an EX-10 as an EDC and this would be my first "propper" light but i have some questions

1. should i get the normal one or the golden dragon one , what is the difference, what are the pros and cons of each one, is the golden dragon better/brighter/more throw/ more efficient

2. it does not look very water tight, is it ?

3. i have read the battery life times but there never true on full brightness with a fully charged battery how long would it last about ?

4.who or where can i get a clip from

5. i have read about the "tint lottery" people getting these lights with a "tint" that they dont like, whats the chance of getting one that is not pure white ( i would not mind a purple tint but i would hate a green tint )

also is there anything else i should know about this light before i buy it

BTW i have also seen pics on this forum of peoples EX-10's with a polised bezel, is this easy to do ?

any help appreciated

thanks jamie

Last edited:

crocodilo

Enlightened
1. Too many opinions around here regarding this subject. My Q5 has a great beam and good tint.

2. Unless you go deep diving with it, I wouldn't worry. Perfectly dunkable, more than adequate for EDC (MTAFEDC).

3. There are some runtime charts around here. Full max on a primary should last for around 1:30, IIRC. Much longer on lower levels. Once again, MTAFEDC.

4. Sorry, no help here. Besides, who needs a clip on such a small light? This is why jeans have "coin pockets".

5. No help here, only have one, and love it.

Regarding the stainless bezel, it comes polished from the factory. Anyway, it's very easy to disassemble by hand, should you want to.

What else do you need to know? You need to know that this is a great light, in every aspect. Brightness, runtimes, user interface, mechanics, beam, price, versatility, quality of construction, ability to perform on protected rechargeables... this light is an EDCer's wet dream.

jamie.91

Enlightened
HAHA ROTFLMAO "wet dream" so i guess thats a YES YOU SHOULD GET ONE then lol

thanks jamie

BTW i know these are great lights just that as a first light it is a little out of my price range but from what i have heard so far i think i will splash out lol i just wanted more opinions before i rushed in and baught it and then someone saying there is a better light for the same money lol

Also i have herd that there is a way of getting discount for being a CPF member how is this and how much is it ?

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EX-10 Cree Q5 took over as my main EDC light, replacing a Fenix P2D. Now the EX-10 GDP has taken the place of the EX-10 Cree Q5. These GDP LED's are still fairly new, so it maybe yet to be seen how they hold up, but so far so good.

jamie.91

Enlightened
so you prefer the golden dragon to the 1st version, can i ask why, any particular reason

also i have herd they are more efficient is this true

thanks jamie

Zenster

Enlightened
Mine is the EX10 Q5, and it's color is a very nice white.

I've got many EDC type lights, and the EX10 has become a practical favorite. If you get an EX10 as your first EDC, it's very likely that you will be disappointed with any more that you buy after it.
It's that good. :D

As far as a clip goes, I want one too because I typically like to carry my EDC inside my right front pocket with the clip to keep it up near the top of the pocket.
However, as has been mentioned already, the EX10 is small enough to where it fits nicely into many "coin pockets" on the jeans that I wear, so when I do that, I don't miss the clip.

However, clips are supposed to be available for the Nitecore's soon, so that will be an option in the near future.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
so you prefer the golden dragon to the 1st version, can i ask why, any particular reason

also i have herd they are more efficient is this true

thanks jamie

1. Smoother beam (no dark Cree halo (editted for those who are picky))
2. More throw
3. Thicker SS Bezel
4. Possibly longer run times, but slightly less total output.

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
That isn't quite true about the GD+ version. Yes the GD+ beam is smoother than the Q5, but there ARE color rings, just not dark rings. IMO, there is a lottery with the GD LED. I had 3 GD+ Nitecores(NDI, D10, EX10) and none were quite the same. The odds are you will get one that is either creamy white or a bit on the cold side, but my EX10 GD+ is quite warm, almost yellow in tint. As far as CRI is concerned, I don't see any significant improvement with the GD over the Q5. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably get the Q5. Depending on the sample you get, some don't seem to have as prominent dark Cree rings as with the earlier the earlier Nitecores. ( Maybe they are aligning the LED and reflectors better now?). I would expect the next shipment of the Q5 EX10 will have the thicker stainless bezel (there is no reason to expect otherwise), although I am not sure what is currently available.

BrightIdeaOSU

Newly Enlightened
For the longest time my EDC was a FireFly III LuxIII, which I really loved. I ended up trading away several P4 EDC lights because none of them matched the compact practicality of the FFIII.

Now I am carrying the EX10, and I actually feel like it was a big upgrade. I won't be trading this one away.

I don't think you will be disappointed. Mine does have a "cree ring" however. I'm not a wall hunter, so it doesn't bug me, but if it does bug you, then go for the golden dragon version.

superflytnt

Enlightened
1. Smoother beam (no rings)
2. More throw
3. Thicker SS Bezel
4. Possibly longer run times, but slightly less total output.

Is the difference in throw pretty noticeable? That is the only thing that I would improve on my D10 is just a bit tighter focus and more throw but I'm not in a financial position to just buy another $60 torch for gains that you'd need a light meter to notice.

I've looked around for outdoor comparison beamshots between the GD+ and Q5 lights but haven't found any. Does anyone know if they exist? TIA!

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the difference in throw pretty noticeable? That is the only thing that I would improve on my D10 is just a bit tighter focus and more throw but I'm not in a financial position to just buy another $60 torch for gains that you'd need a light meter to notice.

I've looked around for outdoor comparison beamshots between the GD+ and Q5 lights but haven't found any. Does anyone know if they exist? TIA!
I believe the gains will be very subtle, so save your money.

That said, I'll be buying a GDP+ as soon as the clips are available.

These lights are amazing values, feel like custom lights yet at mass production price.

Use discount code CPF8 at 4sevens.com for 8% off...

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one sample of the Ex10 golden dragon I have seen was noticeably dimmer than the Q5. However, tint was nicer, beam was smoother also without rings. Different strokes...

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one sample of the Ex10 golden dragon I have seen was noticeably dimmer than the Q5. However, tint was nicer, beam was smoother also without rings. Different strokes...

Were they running CR123's? R123's?

There will be variations in the bins and Vf. Some Cree Q5's will perform better than others, some GDP's will perform better than others.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link but I'm looking for outdoor beamshots. It's kinda hard to compare throw with a whitewall shot, at least for me...............

LED-H, thanks for the advice. That's probably what I'll do as I still have my E1B when I need more distance. :)
I'd like to see some outdoor beamshoots as well. Anybody have pictures of the same place lit with each type?

On that page he also has lux at one meter for both lights for both AA and 14500, at both the highest and lowest settings. In addition, gives a lux measurement of the spill, for the different combination of lights and batteries.

Haz

Enlightened
it should be about time that the R2 version comes out. I'm seeing more and more other lights with R2 in them.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The R2 isn't much of an improvement over the Q5 and they seem to be hard to get so I don't think we'll be seeing any upgrades until the R2s are easier to get.