o-ring question

dtsoll

Enlightened
Has anybody had to replace their o-rings on an E series Surefire? If you have, where did you get replacement o-rings? Are there readily available replacements available rather than getting them from Surefire? Say for instance at NAPA or somewhere. Thanks for the forums. dtsoll /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Have you called SureFire Customer Service toll-free 800-828-8809 and asked about how to get replacement o-rings for your E Series SureFire?

Now I don't know how SureFire Customer Service will handle your call but it could go something like one of these perhaps:

Best case - "Thank you for calling Mr dtsoll, if you'd like to give me your address I'll send you some replacement o-rings. Thank you for using SureFires."

Worst case - "Thank you for calling Mr dtsoll, replacement o-rings for your SureFire [insert specific model] cost a few Dollars including postage. If you'd like to give me your billing information and your address I'll send you some replacement o-rings. Thank you for using SureFires."

Problem solved.
Or is there something about this I'm not understanding?

Al

Aluminum Junkie

Newly Enlightened
Just go to the source. They will probably send them to you at no charge. Tell the CS rep yours were not properly lubed from the factory and became unserviceable, or some such blather. Surefire does take very good care of their customers for the most part. Then report your good fortune. Companies that have good CS deserve good press.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you are not happy with how you have been treated by SureFire Customer Service, please call back and ask to speak with Michael Mayfield, SureFire's Director of Sales and Marketing Operations/Customer Service.

Al

dtsoll

Enlightened
I had to reread my post. I may have led you astray fellas. I currently don't need o-rings, I guess I just haven't read much about people replacing them. If I ever do need to replace them I'll take both your advices and call SF CS for sure. Thanks Al and Alum junkie for your replies. dtsoll

Woody

Newly Enlightened
I had a question about o-rings, and this post topic caught
my attention. I have a question about the B20 battery pack for the 10X Dominator. The original battery pack that came with the light had 2 o-rings at the threads, and the extra
pack that I just purchased had only 1 on it. Both are new in box, from the factory. Am I missing an o-ring or did I get an extra?
Thanks

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire phased in double o-rings for the 10X. I guess they still had stock of B20's with the single o-ring. A call to SureFire should put things in order for you.

I have to have two o-ring on my 10X because of the way I carry it. I also like that it 'firms up' the 10X and that when I want to rotate it I rotate it - otherwise it stays where I leave it.

Al

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've been waiting on a part for 5+ weeks now from surefire. if you need something available everywhere and as cheap as o-rings just buy them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
tkl,
Which part is that?
Do you know that o-rings also have a 5+ week wait on them?

Thanks

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm waiting on a bezel.

i said that sort of tongue in cheek. if the part is in front of tech support guys they usually get it out fairly quick. if they have to wait on the warehouse to send it over, that's where the huge delay occurs.

my point was, why not just pick them up from the hardware store the same day instead of calling and waiting for first class usps?

Size15's

Flashaholic
tkl,
The "warehouse" is about 2 minutes walk from tech support.
Perhaps what you mean is that if a part has to be manufactured that's where there are delays?

I envy the USA where a hardware store has walk-in walk-out service that can provide the spec of o-rings needed!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
tkl,
The "warehouse" is about 2 minutes walk from tech support.
Perhaps what you mean is that if a part has to be manufactured that's where there are delays?

I envy the USA where a hardware store has walk-in walk-out service that can provide the spec of o-rings needed!

[/ QUOTE ]

when i've called in the past about a delay in getting a part i'm always told they're waiting on it from the warehouse. certain parts are reserved for complete lights, i'm told. whether i'm getting an honest assesment only tech support knows.

over the years and various companies i've dealt with sf takes the longest to get replacement parts. it's great they replace them and stand behind their product but the wait is long sometimes, and yes i've called sf to explore my options.

i doubt an o-ring available at any hardware store would differ from those used by sf. members here have done so with satisfactory results.

JackBlades

Enlightened
They are standard O-Rings.
Here's a few sizes that should look familiar......

Flashlight O-rings

ARC LSH-P
#018 3/4" x 7/8" x 1/16" STD Tailcap

ARC-AAA LE
#011 5/16" x 7/16" x 1/16" STD Bezel

X5T
#017 13/16" x 11/16" x 1/16" STD

E2e
#018 3/4" x 7/8" x 1/16" STD Bezel
#015 11/16" x 9/16" x 1/16" STD Tailcap

M3
#024 1.125" x 1.250" x 1/16" STD Bezel
#018 3/4" x 7/8" x 1/16" STD Tailcap

UltraStinger
#028 1.375" x 1.500" x 1/16" Std Bezel

Size15's

Flashaholic
It is reasonable that parts are manufactured in batches and all the parts come together to to assembled into batches of end products.

Having parts leftover would be wasteful so when a bezel is requested it would have to wait until a machine is ready to turn a batch and one extra is added.

So I can understand that boxes of bezels are allocated to complete flashlights which are made to fill orders.

O-rings likely come in large bags and so there is likely to be an excess.

Al

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
It is reasonable that parts are manufactured in batches and all the parts come together to to assembled into batches of end products.

Having parts leftover would be wasteful so when a bezel is requested it would have to wait until a machine is ready to turn a batch and one extra is added.

So I can understand that boxes of bezels are allocated to complete flashlights which are made to fill orders.

O-rings likely come in large bags and so there is likely to be an excess.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

this seems familiar to what i've been told and probably the reason for the hold up i'm sure.

Tombeis

Enlightened
tkl

Russ: I am packing and mailing a M3 bezel to you today 4/23/03. When you get one from Surefire, mail it to me.

I get O-Rings for just about everything from Sears Hardware.

Most hardware stores carry them in the plumbing section. Or ask. Also at Lowe's and Home Depot, Ace Hardware.

Shark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Im not trying to open a can of worms here but my O ring on the tailcap of my A2 dissolved when I lubed it with silicone grease the same stuff I've been using on my surefires for years. The one on the bezel survived but the tailcap did not. I know surefire would send one right away if I called. Their customer service is the best I have delt with to date but I just picked one up at the hardware store they are so darn cheap and the one I bought was a vinton O ring and there pretty much impervious to every thing and readily available here in the US. I just wonder if anyone else had this problem or if the vendor just had a few bad or out of spec ones mixed in.