Ostar aspheric has a little brother :)

cytoe

Newly Enlightened
Made the ostar aspheric (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/184326) a while ago. I found a single Cree Q5 threw the same distance as the ostar w/ a smaller beam. I decided to make one so I could use a single rcr123a:

003.JPG

006.JPG

Threaded so can be attached to a camera mount
008.JPG

my beer cap battery capsule
011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

some comparison shots w/ the ostar version:
001.JPG

002.JPG

SafetyBob

Enlightened
I am eying a couple of my old computer heatsinks (mainly intel based), what heatsink did you use for both lights? Was it really hard to machine? I would think that that thin aluminum would be bouncing and flexing all over the place when you mill around it.....

Rotary table fun?

I love those lights though. I remember when you did the first one. Now I need to try and see what I can do too, since I have an aspheric lense sitting around not doing anything.

Beautiful, beautiful work!!!

Bob E.

cytoe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! The heat sinks are from work. I think they came from old PA-RISC servers. I milled them out using a mini lathe; the center is solid so no blade (fin?) flexing there. However, it would be near impossible to mill the outer blades and get clean results. Here's a bike light (posted on mtbr lights forum) I made using a similar heat sink:

Fried the Shark driver in the original heat sink light
frown.gif
Apparently, my sloppy soldering on the positive input shorted on the shark's c-heat sink. doh!
I never really liked how the back of the original turned out:
Picture%20138.jpg

...so I thought why not take a saw to it
smile5.gif

002.JPG

Fast forward many hours...
The 3 main pieces:
003.JPG

Inside the body. No more fried driver I hope
004.JPG

new back...
013.JPG

front...
012.JPG

side profile...

014.JPG

I redid the clamp part so it integrates better into body...

003.JPG

Last edited:

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Cytoe, just pulled apart the heatsink from an Intel Dual Core something or other....a couple of years old I believe.

With some grinding, sanding and milling I really like what I see. Don't think it will be as pretty as yours because of that amazing heatsink (they don't make them like that anymore), but with a small aspheric, this should be one really cool, custom flashlight....one CR123 or eneloop.....this decision stuff is for the birds, guess I will have to make one of each!!

I think I can do this!!

Bob E.

SafetyBob

Enlightened
I seriously hope that I can come close to what you have done.

Art? Beauty? Engineering? all three describes your little lights. Like I say, at least I have a goal to reach for....

Bob E.