e2dl or m20

jrmy0641

Newly Enlightened
I can't decide between these two. Either will be my first $100+ light. I'd like something in my lineup with more throw and that would probably be the m20. seems as though everyone here has only good things to say about every surefire ever made :laughing: and I've read that its 120 lumens are underrated. Other than that they are pretty identical.

Also if the m20s claimed run times are true then I suppose that's a plus. I'm also open to suggestions of other lights in the price range that I should mull over.

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
Last month, I got a E2DL as a birthday gift and it's hands down one of my favorite lights overall. I use it as my EDC. It throws amazingly well for it's size and the beam is excellent with a clean, white hotspot that's nice and round. This bugger has amazing punch in the dark.

Output does seem to be underrated, and the two modes are extremely usable with realistic levels. Of course, the build is excellent and backed by Surefire's lifetime warranty.

I can't say enough good things about this light. I had looked around quite a bit trying to decide what light I'd want, and I'm more than pleased I settled on this one. I wouldn't mind having a second one in case it ever gets lost or goes down.

AMRaider

Enlightened
I have never tried an M20, but I can tell you that Surefire's E2DL is not only of excellent quality, but it is also a great thrower. Of all my 2x CR123 lights, only my C2 + Malkoff (optic) throws farther than my E2DL.

The E2DL has a tight, round, and uniform hotspot. Due to it's design (CREE XRE + optic) there are some small rings present around the hotspot. Unless you are illuminating a smooth, white wall, at close range, these rings are not noticable.

If you are planning on getting an E2DL, I suggest you act quickly. Surefire just increased their prices, but a few dealers still have the old prices listed (for old stock perhaps). If you hurry, you might be able to get an E2DL for the old price. Cheers.

RainerWahnsinn

Enlightened
I possess fortunately the E2DL. It is the lamp with the best Understatement regarding the lumens specification.

The M20 I nevertheless now ordered myself, because: My name is Rainer - I am flashaholic

LedZep

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have both and can comment on a comparison? I'd be interested also - thanks :thumbsup:

jrmy0641

Newly Enlightened
I ended up going a completely different route and ordered a dereelight dbs v2 :D

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my E2DL. It quickly became one of my favorite lights after I got it. The light itself feels great in the hand, and the beam is just absolutely fantastic. I did a comparison of the E2DL against three other lights claiming 2x or more the output, and the E2DL stood up very well to the competition. You can check it out here with lots of pictures. BTW....I say buy the E2DL. I guarantee that you will not be sorry! :thumbsup:

shomie911

Enlightened
I was contemplating getting the E2DL but I decided to go the M20 route for the R2 and 18650 support.

I'm glad I did, it truly is a first class light. I've been using the M20 for the past few days on high and I haven't been able to kill one Tenergy Protected 2600mah 18650.

The specs say 4 hours on high (250 lumens) with a 2500mah 18650.

Output against the E2DL will probably be about the same, the M20 will likely edge it out a bit with the R2 though.

If runtime is important to you the M20 might be the better choice. 150 hours at 7 lumens, 12 hours at 90 lumens.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm going to be watching to see what happens if and when the M20 stops working, and it happens to be the electronics. I will be very interested to see if O-Light will cover it or not. Because, I do know that 5 - 10 - 15 or forever years from now that if my E2DL stops working for whatever reason that Surefire will fix or replace it....No questions asked!

Gator762

Enlightened
Well, I'm going to be watching to see what happens if and when the M20 stops working, and it happens to be the electronics. I will be very interested to see if O-Light will cover it or not. Because, I do know that 5 - 10 - 15 or forever years from now that if my E2DL stops working for whatever reason that Surefire will fix or replace it....No questions asked!

Warranty is a good point, but after 5 or 10 years I'm probably not going to care. The light will be outdated for sure (I hope!). Surefire's warranty has to be better for a few years where I will really care.

I don't have the M20 yet, but the build, output, and runtime sure look impressive. Most important though, it runs off of rechargeable 18650's. After wasting many primary cells and $$ I'm done with that game.

LedZep

Newly Enlightened
bondr006 -
I thought rechargeables wouldn't fit the Surefire? Do they fit easily? Also, (last question!), do you think the E2DL can keep up with the M20 in output?

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the black and silver protected AW's and they slip in and out just like the primarys do. I can't speak to whether the E2DL can keep up with the M20, but if you look at the link in my first post(#8) above....I compared the E2DL to three other lights that ranged from 220 lumen to 260 lumen, and the E2DL equaled or beat all three of them.

bondr006 -
I thought rechargeables wouldn't fit the Surefire? Do they fit easily? Also, (last question!), do you think the E2DL can keep up with the M20 in output?

TimAckerman

Newly Enlightened
I just got an E2DL last night and I am quite impressed.

While I don't have a M20, I do have a 6P w Malkoff M60, and the E2DL gives it a lot of competition. Plus the low setting on the E2DL is really nice too, it is just the right amount of light when you don't need full power

jrmy0641

Newly Enlightened
It is still relevant to me also. These two are still in contention for future purchases :crazy:
Thanks for the opinions