PD Design and AAA..??

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
With the huge success thus far of the PD designed lights I am curious if any others feel this bullet proof design will make its way to the AAA size lights. I have been looking at the current offerings from Fenix (NiteCore) and the more I read up on them the more I really like the design. I have always liked this style of tailcap ever since McGizmo first brought it out.....love the simple approach and durability.

I was thinking that it sure would be interesting to see if this design could work for a smaller single AAA sized light. It may have already been tried however I do not ever remember reading that it has been done. I always kind of expected Don to tinker with this idea however searching old threads it was never mentioned. Does anyone know if it has been attempted or even if the piston design could be made to work in a smaller tube such as AAA size.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Robocop, I think an AAA design would be very very interesting and could be very popular as well.

A lot of folks asked 4sevens about the possibility and he said that due to the limited energy of the AAA form factor as well as some other reasons, it was not something he/NiteCore was going to explore.

However a custom maker could definitely explore this design and see how it turns out. There are not many clicky AAA lights so this would be very unique.

I love McGizmo's piston drive so the more lights that have this the better!!

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Robo,
There is no reason a PD wouldn't work in an AAA but there are some obvious restrictions in size. The piston could be a very thin wall but add that to the sleeve covering it and you won't have a light as small in diameter as a typical AAA light. A significant consideration too, would be the converter. Someone would have to design a small diameter package that provided multiple level output as well as a means of isolating as well as picking up the power from the battery as well as the piston. The piston O-ring seal also dictates either larger diameter or extended length.

My lights, the Arc6 and the present NiteCore lights all have a dual function or signal from the piston up front. This requires a mechanical provision that is not trivial and does require real estate to accomplish. In an AAA design, I think one would opt for a simple single or make or break contact for the piston and the converter. By that, I mean a converter like those used in the multi level twisties where on/off cycles take you through the levels. I have seen some mods of my PD posted here using I believe a Flu-pic converter that work in this manner?! :shrug:

Doable? Yes
Viable? depends on the design; no reason it couldn't be
Desireable? :shrug:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Well I do see the issues now and it may actually take away from what the design is best known for....simplicity and durability. If using this design on a smaller body would make the product weaker than it probably would not be worth it....however it sure would be a cool item to have if it did work.

It seems like designing a smaller circuit and all of the other things necessary would make it a "fragile" set up from what I understand. I somehow believed it was a simple sleeve for contact and had no idea all of the other variables were involved. I kind of understand now as to why this design has not made it to the AAA fans already. Thanks for the input.